Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread: HCSO - Denied.

Hurley International

Unhappy HCSO - Denied.

I just got the F-You letter from Harris County.

I now must leave, and go back to Florida to seek employment oppertunities.

I feel emotionally that I just got hit with a bus.

The LT. told me to be thankful it's not permanet. Would not tell me why I was not allowed to continue with the hiring process.

... thanks for the motivation and support o.com

You know who you are ...
    WadsonF 10-4's the above statement.

All Sas and Sarcasm!
    that so sucks.

It will happen, like he said, just not now.....
    ‘Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go.’
    Oscar Wilde

Forum Member

Maybe because of your young age and the myspace problems that you had discussed previously? Good luck when you come back to Florida. My suggestion is to try corrections, every county around you pays for recruits to go through the corrections academy.

Hurley International
    Quote Originally Posted by StudChris View Post
    Maybe because of your young age and the myspace problems that you had discussed previously? Good luck when you come back to Florida. My suggestion is to try corrections, every county around you pays for recruits to go through the corrections academy.
    Myspace is cleared up, future employers shouldn't be able to find anything, the immature crap is gone.

I've been trying for corrections, one of the primary reasons why I am here.

Forum Member

Aren't they always looking for COs in/around Dallas?

All Sas and Sarcasm!
    Try in houston too. TDCJ always needs CO's
    Oscar Wilde

Hustler
    Quote Originally Posted by WadsonF View Post
    Myspace is cleared up, future employers shouldn't be able to find anything, the immature crap is gone.

I've been trying for corrections, one of the primary reasons why I am here.
    You are young and should not give up this easliy. I do recall not too long ago you were attempting to get hired in Florida? Now if you have made the move to Texas and have a job, why not apply elsewhere or just wait a few more years to apply. Not everyone your age will get hired in Corrections or even in a Police Agency. Get some more solid work history and even if the "myspace" incident played a role...? Yes even future employers will be able to seek info in reference to that, including your DQ from HCSO. Again, if this is what you want, keep applying. Best of luck.
    "An excuse is worse and more terrible than a lie, for an excuse is a lie guarded."

Hurley International
    Quote Originally Posted by irishlad2nv View Post
    You are young and should not give up this easliy. I do recall not too long ago you were attempting to get hired in Florida? Now if you have made the move to Texas and have a job, why not apply elsewhere or just wait a few more years to apply. Not everyone your age will get hired in Corrections or even in a Police Agency. Get some more solid work history and even if the "myspace" incident played a role...? Yes even future employers will be able to seek info in reference to that, including your DQ from HCSO. Again, if this is what you want, keep applying. Best of luck.
    I can try to apply else where, but I would need a place to stay. I'm currently living with my girlfriends father, and he specifically wanted me to join HCSO. Now that is out of the picture I can either try HPD, or be on my next flight to Florida.

I'm not fimilar with hiring standards now and days with public service, but I hope one DQ does not terminate me for ever.

I've never been denied a job before. I don't even know how to take this.

Welcome to "Trying to get a LEO job." I guess some of you might say.

Forum Member

You aren't even 20 years old yet (according to your profile). Give it time. I'm 21 and I still would not be surprised if I was turned down for being too young.

Just focus on staying in shape and getting some solid work experience, schooling, or military under your belt.

Keep your head up and be patient.

Hustler
    I can try to apply else where, but I would need a place to stay. I'm currently living with my girlfriends father, and he specifically wanted me to join HCSO. Now that is out of the picture I can either try HPD, or be on my next flight to Florida.

I'm not fimilar with hiring standards now and days with public service, but I hope one DQ does not terminate me for ever.

Some applicants get picked up first time, others may have to apply 10, 15, 20 times. Each applicants is different. Now I am don't know what your background is or has been, however my assumption would be your age. Plus you mentioned moving to Texas from Florida for a new job, well they may have put a strain onyour BI to complete an accurate BI with you being from another state. Not every agency is set up to do background on persons living most of their life acorss the country. As myself and others suggested, keep applying or wait a few more years. And were you not attempting to put yourself through an acadmey in Florida?
    "An excuse is worse and more terrible than a lie, for an excuse is a lie guarded."

Forum Member

Keep a positive outlook, stay focused on your goal, and you will get hired. I received two "no thank yous" before getting my first Law Enforcement job.

You're correct, it does suck getting turned down, but that really is the nature of the beast in this profession. It will make you appreciate it just that much more when you get it.

Good luck in the future.

Forum Member

I hear that. You're in the club now.

You take the job denial and use it as motivation to do better next time around! Do not give up! You never fail in something until you give up so keep trying!

Good luck!

All Sas and Sarcasm!

try try try again
    I sent ya some links
    I dont think its gonna be THAT bad, after all its not a perm. DQ its a 2 year wait.

you can still go for HPD or constable.........

I doubt he is gonna make you pack tonight

after that blow.
    Oscar Wilde

Forum Member

Sorry to have to say this, but welcome to the club.

Good luck with applying further, and just a word of advice from experience... don't put a lot of hope in HPD. They will deny you for having a hangnail it seems.

Forum Member
    http://www.houstontx.gov/police/pdfs/temp_jail.pdf

You get hired on under this program, and they will start a background on you and if all is good, they will "queue" you for an Academy class.

Forum Member

Its not easy!!!

Getting hired as a police officer anywhere is really hard. I can tell you that your age is killing you. I was 20 when I started applying and I got the F you letter all the time and I was mad and even thought about giving up and going to another field but I didn't and now I'm working at department that I didn't really want but it got me the experience that I need to get to a deparment that I really do want and I'm starting their soon so just keep looking up and eventually you will find the job you want.

Hurley International
    Quote Originally Posted by futurencLEO View Post
    You aren't even 20 years old yet (according to your profile). Give it time. I'm 21 and I still would not be surprised if I was turned down for being too young.

Just focus on staying in shape and getting some solid work experience, schooling, or military under your belt.

Keep your head up and be patient.
    I will. I'll try again. This time, back to Florida. My mother is expecting me. (ughhhh!)

Quote Originally Posted by irishlad2nv View Post
    Some applicants get picked up first time, others may have to apply 10, 15, 20 times. Each applicants is different. Now I am don't know what your background is or has been, however my assumption would be your age. Plus you mentioned moving to Texas from Florida for a new job, well they may have put a strain onyour BI to complete an accurate BI with you being from another state. Not every agency is set up to do background on persons living most of their life acorss the country. As myself and others suggested, keep applying or wait a few more years. And were you not attempting to put yourself through an acadmey in Florida?
    I hope i'm not one of the ones that have to wait till 20 F-you's..

Quote Originally Posted by 83cane View Post
    Keep a positive outlook, stay focused on your goal, and you will get hired. I received two "no thank yous" before getting my first Law Enforcement job.

You're correct, it does suck getting turned down, but that really is the nature of the beast in this profession. It will make you appreciate it just that much more when you get it.

Good luck in the future.
    Understood.

Quote Originally Posted by Mullet View Post
    I hear that. You're in the club now.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stewie View Post
    You take the job denial and use it as motivation to do better next time around! Do not give up! You never fail in something until you give up so keep trying!

Good luck!
    I will. I'm already looking at an academy back at where my mother stays. I'm also looking at federal aid.

Quote Originally Posted by texaschickeee View Post
    try try try again
    I sent ya some links
    I dont think its gonna be THAT bad, after all its not a perm. DQ its a 2 year wait.

you can still go for HPD or constable.........

I doubt he is gonna make you pack tonight

after that blow.
    I looked. Some guys here told me to avoid HPD because I can be left off out of no where with the temp. agency.

Quote Originally Posted by Pickle View Post
    My current dept. denied me 2x. I was just too young.
    ... If they only knew how motivated I am to get this.

Quote Originally Posted by Wannabe_Cop View Post
    Sorry to have to say this, but welcome to the club.

Good luck with applying further, and just a word of advice from experience... don't put a lot of hope in HPD. They will deny you for having a hangnail it seems.
    I heard.

Quote Originally Posted by HMFIC View Post
    http://www.houstontx.gov/police/pdfs/temp_jail.pdf

You get hired on under this program, and they will start a background on you and if all is good, they will "queue" you for an Academy class.
    I'm worried about that. I can't risk loseing my job out of no where down the line.

Quote Originally Posted by MMeeusen View Post
    Getting hired as a police officer anywhere is really hard. I can tell you that your age is killing you. I was 20 when I started applying and I got the F you letter all the time and I was mad and even thought about giving up and going to another field but I didn't and now I'm working at department that I didn't really want but it got me the experience that I need to get to a deparment that I really do want and I'm starting their soon so just keep looking up and eventually you will find the job you want.
    I understand fully. Trust me.

Not so wet behind the ear
    Jeez....your 19. Of course you have yet to be hired. Your still a kid. Some of the folks that are in the position to hire you typically didn't start until their mid 20's to early 30's.

You've still got a few years left to mature. Also they want to see how you handled being 21. Lot's of folks go stupid and get in trouble. Now imagine throwing a badge and gun on top of all that with the "bullet proof snydrome". Not a good mix.

Give it time. That's what it takes. I finished the academy when i just turned 20. It took me another 4 years to get employed in the LE profession, and with a less than spotless record might I add. I had a few mix-ups as a juvenile, and a lead foot for a while. But it finally happened, and if you are patient it will happen for you too.

BTW, I hate to say it, but this scenario kind of points to the whole inexperienced/ underage bit, so it may take you longer....but don't let it discourage you.

http://forums.officer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=74792
    Last edited by D.o.D cop; 10-08-2007 at 11:41 PM.
    You have the right to remain silent, but apparently you lack the skill to exercise that right.

Forum Member

I went through at least 15 hiring processes before I got The Call. This was at a time when there were far more qualified applicants than there were jobs. Until several recruiters tell you that you have no hope of getting a LE job anywhere, keep plugging.
    Tim Dees, now writing as a plain old forum member, his superpowers lost to an encounter with gold kryptonite.

Forum Member

I missed your earlier post about the my space problem, but I thought we (hcso) were hiring 19 year olds as jailers.......and god do we need people. Of course I am enjoying the paid overtime slee..i mean working nights down town at the jail......GOOD LUCK!!!!

Hell on Wheels
    Minimum for LEO here is 21, younger maybe a dispatcher. I was 24.

You'll get past it .... maybe.

It's a test.
    "That's right man, we've got mills here that'll blow that heap of your's right off the road."

"Beautiful Daughter of the Stars."(it's my home now)

>>>>> A Time for Choosing <<<<<

Retired @ 31yr 2mo as of 0000 hrs. 01-01-10. Yeah, all in all, it was good.

Forum Member
    The "F-U" letters build character. Ask yourself, if an applicant gives up after getting one "F-U" letter, then how long do you think they'll last in the academy?

I suspect that the PD's know this: The guy who is determined and keeps trying despite several "F-U" letters, ain't never gonna give up once he gets his chance in the Academy.

I first applied in 2000, when I was 22yo. It took me 'til I was 30yo to get into the academy. You better believe that nothing short of death or dismemberment is going to keep me from graduating.

Army wife supreme
    Hey Wadson... if your really serious about getting into Law Enforcement you may have to do what my husband did. He will graduate from the MP academy with the US Army on Dec 15th. If you're gonna throw it all in the can after one lousy rejection when your only 19, then you have bigger fish to fry (and I don't mean at Long John Silvers) than a myspace page and whatever else was hanging you up. Most agencies don't even look at someone under the age of 21. So you didn't get this ONE spot, big deal, move on, try elsewhere and keep on going. Good Luck, whatever you decide.
    R.I.P. Sgt. 1st Class Raymond J. Munden

You're service and sacrifice will not be forgotten.

Kieth M.
    I once knew a guy who said, "I'll step over any nine to get to three threes!"

I knew at that precise moment that he and I would never get into a fistfight over a woman.

The questor
    I would be very surprised if any department hired a 19 year old.* Plus, although it is not your fault, there recently was a sheriff deputy who killed a number of people then himself.* He was only 19.It ain't your fault!Have you considered military service?* Maybe a nice 4 year stint in the Air Force as Air Police?* That would give you a good grounding in how the police work.* Give you time to mature with a solid job and progressive responsibilityto show when you try again in four years.
    Though their numbers are many, as the grass upon the field, we will count them at the end of the day.

Page 1 of 2 12 Last