Thread: POPAT test

Forum Member

POPAT test

I posted this question in the "hiring questions" forum but no responses. Does anyone know if the Fayetteville POPAT test is the only physical fitness test required for employment? Is there daily PT during the academy? Where does the POPAT test fall in the sequence of getting hired? First, last, middle?

The POPAT is probably the only PT test Fayettville does, I know its the only one for Cumberland County Sheriff's office. As far as daily PT, It is not required by NC for daily, just a certain amount of hours. Some academies howevre will run PT every day. Fayetteville runs their own academy so your final popat in academy is the one that counts for state cert. They may have you run a modifed popat for pre-hire, like longer time, less pushups or situps. Good Luck out there, watch out for those Delta and 82nd boys kickin a*s!

SUPPORT OUR TROOPS!
    ARMY USMC USAF NAVY
    USCG

"Watch the hands" - J.D. Buck Savage

Forum Member
    If you are not already a certified LEO under the NC Department of Criminal Justice Training and Standards or NC Sheriff's Training and Standards you would have to meet the state's POPAT requirements to work as a LEO anywhere in NC. Fayetteville PD may have a modified POPAT for entry into their academy.

If you would like a detailed description of NC's POPAT, if you don't already know what it consists of, message me and I can give it to you.
    "If You Don't Live For Something ...
    ... You'll Die For Nothing."

I'D RATHER BE JUDGED BY 12 - THAN CARRIED BY 6.

John 15:13 ~ Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.

The POPAT is really easy. The hardest part is getting out of the car and making sure you dont bob yourself with the door! We had some guys run it in the high 3:50's other were right around 6 minutes (out of shape people). I came in at 5:10 not tired I was only going about 80% I just wanted to make sure I made it through. If I remember right it goes like

get out of a car, 200ft run to a cone and back, drag a person out of the car and drag them 40ft, run the staris 3 times, go through a 50lb door, 20 pushups/situps,run the staris 3 more times, go through a 40 ft tunnel (with flashlight on) 20 more pu/su, another run to the cone and back, and a final drag from the car to the staris again. Then say your street names and your done.

Quote Originally Posted by Mejo83 View Post
    The POPAT is really easy. The hardest part is getting out of the car and making sure you dont bob yourself with the door! We had some guys run it in the high 3:50's other were right around 6 minutes (out of shape people). I came in at 5:10 not tired I was only going about 80% I just wanted to make sure I made it through. If I remember right it goes like

get out of a car, 200ft run to a cone and back, drag a person out of the car and drag them 40ft, run the staris 3 times, go through a 50lb door, 20 pushups/situps,run the staris 3 more times, go through a 40 ft tunnel (with flashlight on) 20 more pu/su, another run to the cone and back, and a final drag from the car to the staris again. Then say your street names and your done.
    that is pretty much it. Its a 200 yard run though

SUPPORT OUR TROOPS!
    ARMY USMC USAF NAVY
    USCG

Forum Member
    For FPD the POPAT is the only fitness test required to complete BLET. There is a modified POPAT for the application process (8 1/2 min to complete the POPAT and you only do 10/10 pushups/situps on the two pushup/situp sections. There is a physical fitness assessment done in the first couple of weeks in the academy and another towards the end. The assessment is not pass/fail...its just a measuring tool to see where you stand as far as overall fitness.

During the academy there is PT several times a week that should get anyone in shape enough to pass the final POPAT near the end of the academy that is required to complete BLET.

The guys who lead PT are good! They will get you in shape!
    Last edited by PoPo174; 10-20-2007 at 07:57 PM. Reason: Left some stuff out
    The stupid things that people do surprise me less and less!

Forum Member
    The only part that concerns me is the looong runs. During the orientation after the popat I asked about the runs during the academy and the instructor said we might run 1 mile or 3 miles or 5 miles, depending on his mood. I have never been a runner, I can sprint 100 yds no problem, but long distance has never been my forte. That being said, I have started running every day(for the last 2 weeks), started with .33 miles now doing .66 miles and have lost from 205.5 down to 200 in just 6 days(I'm kind of impressed with that) and I am going to continue to increase my distance as far as possible before the academy starts, but my question is..... What if... I just can't run 5 miles (or 3)? Will I get dropped? I am really not trying to jinx myself or be pessimistic, I will give it 110%, but if I can't run that far, will I fail the academy?

Forum Member
    You cant get kicked out because of that standard! You can run 5 miles, but you may not be able to do it 30min and that's OK. They will not start you out running 5 miles. The standard you must meet in order to pass BLET is the POPAT. The training staff takes into account a median fitness level and will work with you and encourage you. You should however show progressive improvement!

Let me tell you my story. I smoked 2 packs a day for ten years, and had never ran a mile in my life. When I decided to try and be a cop and get ready for the academy a mile took me almost 18 minutes and I thought I was going to die afterwards. When I graduated i did my 1.5 mile in 12 minutes. Just keep working on it and you will get there.

Also, you have no idea how much more you will be capable of when you are running in a formation in PT. We did a bunch of 3-5 mile runs and I never fell out once. The fear of the "special attention" for being the guy that falls out of the run will keep you going.

Good Luck!
    Last edited by Fuzz1028; 10-25-2007 at 10:43 PM. Reason: fudged up

SUPPORT OUR TROOPS!
    ARMY USMC USAF NAVY
    USCG

Forum Member
    Whew! That is very reassuring! It helps to know they will "encourage" you to push yourself rather than "do it or you're outa here". Again.... I will continue to push myself in my at home training so that the academy won't be as bad, because I definitely do not want to be "that guy"! Thanks for the replies guys!

Fidelity~Zeal~Obedience towncop's Avatar
    PoPo174, are you with Fayetteville PD? If so, do you know Lars Paul? I served with him in the Marine Corps up in Keflavik, Iceland back in '93-'94. Heck of a guy. I was checking out the FPD website last summer and saw their recruiting video. Cracked me up seeing him on there, and as a Lt. nonetheless!
    Why are there so many babies on O.com? Creole, you and your buddy JPSO Recruit help me out on this one....

* "Preach always, if necessary, use words!" St Francis of Assisi

* Luke Chapter 6, Verses 27-36

Forum Member
    Yep...I know LT L.P. He is a good dude!