Page 2 of 2 First 12
    Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tony.o View Post
    Never mind, I looked up your posts and found one where you said you were only a part time deputy in a little town, so I guess thats why you don't know what your talking about.
    Your hilarious! Not even worth wasting my time with...back to the topic!
    *Don't argue with idiots someone watching may get confused.

*We're all here because we ain't all there

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by troopertobe View Post
    Trooper to-be- academy Jan 08
    Well, I hope you learn something, if it's true, because I can spot an imposter pretty easily by ones posts. Form reading your posts, I know that at this time you don't know much. If you make it, you shouldn't throw that Mayberry stuff around, because the TN Highway Patrol doesn't touch any of the Interstate roads in major urban areas. Except when they sit in construction zones, doing nothing.

Forum Member
    Your hilarious! Not even worth wasting my time with...back to the topic!
    It's true, anyone can look up what you said. You were a part time deputy and lost your position with an administration change.

VIP Member - Diamond
    I have no idea if this is true, but I was told that 13 loops make it an "official" hangman's noose, and only the executioner could have a hangman's noose.

Anything else is just a fancy slipknot.

I think intent has to be there to qualify as a hate crime.

By the way, google hangman's noose+law....you may be surprised to see there are a few cases where people were harassed using them.
    Molly Weasley makes Chuck Norris eat his vegetables.

Forum Member
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hangman's_knot

The hangman's knot or hangman's noose (also known as a collar during Elizabethan times) is a well-known knot most often associated with its use in hanging. For a hanging, the knot of the rope is typically placed under or just behind the left ear. As the blow when the condemned drops to the end of the rope is supposed to break the neck (for modern "long-drop" hangings), this knot can add additional striking force against the head and neck. The knot is non-jamming but tends to resist attempts to loosen it.

The hangman's knot was used on ropes in Colonial America as well as England during the 16th and 18th centuries. It is still used in those US states which allow hanging as method of capital punishment.

For Willowdared:
    Each additional coil adds friction to the knot, which makes the noose harder to pull closed or open. The number of coils should therefore be adjusted depending on the intended use, the type and thickness of rope, and environmental conditions such as wet or greasy rope. Six to eight loops are normal when using natural ropes; more may be used on nylon ropes. One coil makes it equivalent to the simple slip knot.

According to tradition, the hangman's noose must have 13 coils
    IGNORE LIST - Banastretarlton AKA "banana boy"

"In the fields of observation chance favors only prepared mind"
    -----Louis Pasteur

"Sweat in training saves blood on the battlefield."

-------Col. David "Hack" Hackworth

On my 7 year old 2nd Grade Class wall

------------YOU are RESPONSIBLE for YOUR OWN ACTIONS

sac
    Originally Posted by troopertobe
    per D.A. in Gena, L.A. "tennis shoes are lethal weapons".... so charge them with possession of deadly weapon!...... "possession of deadly weapons defined as 'anything designed for lethal use"

tennis shoes are lethal weapons? I guess yelling quit resisting while beating a suspect counts to?

Forum Member

What happened to free speech? I am not advocating driving around with a noose on the front seat of my pick'em up truck or hanging one in plain view in an area that blacks gather, but isn't it a persons right to exercise their views on a certain topic as long as it does not infringe on the rights of another? Sure, it is messed up and ignorant but I can't imagine it being illegal. Now if a threat is made and a noose is in possession of the person making the threat that is a different story.

Swastikas the same thing. If some guy wants to walk around town tattooed with them or white power or the like, advertising that he is racist I don't see where a crime is being committed. Same guy beating up a person of another race, yeah, hate crime no doubt.

Just FYI, the guy in the Jena case was charged with "inciting a riot," and not a hate crime. Also he had other charges, since he was brilliant enough to do this while driving drunk

ALEXANDRIA -- A teenager was arrested Thursday when police allegedly found hangman's nooses dangling from the rear of his pickup truck after he drove past a crowd of people who had attended a civil rights march earlier in the day.

The incident in Alexandria, La., took place only hours after tens of thousands of civil rights marchers demonstrated in nearby Jena on behalf of six teens charged with beating a white schoolmate at Jena High School.

Jeremiah Munsen, 18, of Colfax, La., and a 16-year-old passenger in his truck were arrested Thursday night near a bus station where a group of people who had marched in Jena were waiting for buses to take them home.

Munsen, who is white, was booked on charges of inciting a riot, driving while intoxicated and contributing to the delinquency of a juvenile. A city attorney will decide whether charges against the 16-year-old boy from Dry Prong, La., are warranted, said Alexandria Police Sgt. Clifford Gatlin.

"I wish we had a charge in Louisiana for aggravated ignorance, because this is a classic case," Gatlin said.

VIP Member - Diamond
    Thanks VACop!

I was told about the 13 loops by a friend in Alaska....I didn't know if he was just pulling my leg.

Molly Weasley makes Chuck Norris eat his vegetables.

"Retired"
    I used to play "Hangman" (where you had to guess a word or phrase) in school all the time. Does this mean I was committing a hate crime?
    "I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

The .40 Dog Whisperer
    per D.A. in Gena, L.A. "tennis shoes are lethal weapons".... so charge them with possession of deadly weapon!...... "possession of deadly weapons defined as 'anything designed for lethal use"

Where do you buy tennis shoes that are "designed for lethal use?"

Sounds like something Maxwell Smart would wear.
    If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

---Jack Handey

Resident Controversialist
    A noose is a freaking knotted rope. Nooses are used in trapping animals, securing boats, etc. We should be erring on the side of rights. If a person decides to take that noose and do something illegal with it, maybe symbolically hanging it over a black person's mail box, then let them feel the full force of the law. A noose alone should not constitute a violation of the law; that is just ridiculous.
    -I don't feel you honor someone by creating a physical gesture (the salute). You honor them by holding them in memory and, in law enforcement, proceeding in vigilant, ethical police work. You honor this country or deceased soldiers or whatever you're honoring when you salute a flag by thinking, feeling, and continuing a life of freedom.

--ArkansasRed24

Forum Member
    Willow you are very welcome.

The noose was also used to hang cattle thieves, bank robbers, and criminal in the old west.....
    IGNORE LIST - Banastretarlton AKA "banana boy"

"In the fields of observation chance favors only prepared mind"
    -----Louis Pasteur

"Sweat in training saves blood on the battlefield."

-------Col. David "Hack" Hackworth

On my 7 year old 2nd Grade Class wall

------------YOU are RESPONSIBLE for YOUR OWN ACTIONS

yes, it really is me...
    As much as I would despise it, it's not a crime. But if a crowd gathers around you because they take offense to your little noose, then you're on your own.

A man should never be ashamed to own that he has been in the wrong, which is but saying... that he is wiser today than yesterday. Jonathan Swift 1667-1745

It's only a conspiracy when your party is not in power.

The .40 Dog Whisperer

On further reflection...

If I saw someone with a noose in their car, I would not initially even consider that they might be making a political or racial statement. I would assume they are planning to kill themselves.
    If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

---Jack Handey

Forum Member

Depends on intent and where displayed. If not sure what to do, the safe bet is to process it like a crime scene and pass it off on the prosecutor's office to determine if a crime has been committed.

Infrequent participant

I saw a guy on the freeway yesterday that had a noose hanging from the ladder rack of his truck. Talk about shock factor.
    "Get this and get it straight! Crime is a sucker's road and those who travel it wind up in the gutter, the prison, or the grave. There's no other end. They never learn."

Page 2 of 2 First 12