X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • woody62
    Forum Member
    • Aug 2007

academy costs

I have heard that you need to have a certain amount of money to purchase items that you will need to have before you go into the academy, what kinds of things do you have to purchase before you get in and how much should I have ready?

Woody62
  • SgtCHP
    Retired Sergeant - CHP
    • Nov 2006

If you are attending the CHP academy, here is what is recommended:

What to bring

As a cadet, the most important item to take to training is a positive attitude. It is imperative that each cadet possesses certain documents and information for the first day processing.

At least two blank checks, with $350 to $500 in account to cover checks
    Be courteous to all, but intimate with few, and let those few be well tried before you give them your confidence!

[George Washington (1732 - 1799)]

Comment

• Biz_mikee
      Forum Member
      • Apr 2006

for a large southern CA dept, I spent about 750. Throughout the whole academy, I spend maybe 800 more (for gear, polish, and guns)
      There are no angels to testify to crimes committed in hell.

Comment

• nobody33
        North of the 8 cop
        • Jul 2003

It will depend on if you are open enrollee or which department hired you. I was hired to the academy and still spent several grand on equipment.
        Get low, get ground, get tactical! Sprawl! Sprawl! Sprawl!

Comment

• ftgolfer
          Law Enforcement Officer
          • Apr 2007

I payed my way through to the tune of about $3500. I had hired cadets in my class that never spent a dime, unless they wanted new "toys". It really depends on your situation coming in. Good luck.
          "Will to Protect....Courage to Fight"

Comment

• cantue5
            Get some!
            • Jan 2007

Depends on where you go and if you are hired by a department when you go. I have spent a couple of two or three grand and I have about four weeks left. The big things you need to buy like uniforms cost alot and the little things that don't will add up. Throw in some class dues, gas, and any equipment that they don't issue you and it starts to get expensive. When it does get expensive don't complain...just suck it up and pay the cost...remember you are in a postition that others wish they were in.
            "When I came home, people often asked me about Iraq, and mostly I told them it wasn't so bad. I didn't know how to explain myself to them. The war really wasn't so bad. Yes, there were bombs and shootings and nervous times, but that was just the job. In fact, going to war is rather easy. You react to situations around you and try not to die. There are no electric bills or car payments or chores around the house. Just go to work, come home alive, and do it again tomorrow." - Brian Mockenhaupt

Comment

• Ultimate86
              Forum Member
              • May 2007

I am about to start as a non-affiliate at the San Mateo Academy. Here are some of the main costs:

Tuition $2300
              Uniforms & Gear $1050
              Gun $550

Keep in mind that as a non-affiliate you will likely have no income during your training. Meaning rent and bills will need to be paid from your savings or put on a credit card until you get a job.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 25715 users online. 68 members and 25647 guests.

Most users ever online was 185,715 at 05:04 PM on 12-04-2023.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
              Working...