Forum Member

California Police Officer Legal Source Book

Does anyone know of a website were you can purchase this book? I did a search but was unable to find a website that sales it. Actually I saw that Amazon sales one but its from 1996. Thanks in advance guys.
    "I rather be judged by twelve, than carried by six."

SoCal Expatriate
    Check LB Uniform and the OCSD range store. I know I bought one at one of those places several years back.
    "Respect for religion must be reestablished. Public debt should be reduced. The arrogance of public officials must be curtailed. Assistance to foreign lands must be stopped or we shall bankrupt ourselves. The people should be forced to work and not depend on government for subsistence." - Cicero, 60 B.C.

For California police academy notes go to http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CABasicPolice/

Retired Sergeant - CHP
    Is this the book you are looking for?

The Office of State Publishing now manages the printing, sales, and distribution of the California Peace Officers Legal Sourcebook for the Department of Justice.

The California Peace Officers Legal Sourcebook (CPOLS) is written by the California Department of Justice, Office of the Attorney General. The book is an 1,100-page training and resource manual for state and local law enforcement personnel covering updated California and Federal law on Search and Seizure, Interrogation, Driving Under the Influence, Juveniles, and Criminal Offenses.

To view the current rates and order a Legal Sourcebook, please complete the PDF form OSP 147 and send to:

Office of State Publishing
    Attn: Legal Sourcebook
    344 N 7th Street
    Sacramento, CA 95811-0212

If you have questions regarding the ordering of the Legal Sourcebook, contact us at (916) 445-5353.

http://www.osp.dgs.ca.gov/California...ource+Book.htm
    Be courteous to all, but intimate with few, and let those few be well tried before you give them your confidence!

[George Washington (1732 - 1799)]

Forum Member
    Southern Kalifornia (Peoples' Republic of)
    I thought copware or quikcode (lawtech publishing) sold them.

I know it's printed by the California Atty Gen's office.

The actual Sourcebook is either entirely digital (you'd have to print it out or read it from your desktop) or is a huge binder wherein you are constantly spending 20 minutes a month taking pages out and replacing them with new updated-packets of pages they send you with your subscription.

In lieu of, I *HIGHLY* recommend the annually published, very slim, very handy "Field Guide to the CPOLSB." It too is printed by the CA Atty Gen's office. I searched their site and the State of CA websites for it with no success. The only place I KNOW sells it wants only $21 for it and that is the Range Store at the Orange County Sheriff's Katella Training Center (across from the Arrowhead Pond / Honda Center off the 57 fwy).

HTH,

EDJ
    "It's a game of cat and mouse. It's a game of hide and seek. Albeit games with deadly consequences. Like most games-the better you know the rules, the more likely you are to win."

SoCal Expatriate
    The book I had was about 1 to 2 inches thick and about 8.5x11 inches and was more or less a good study guide for the academy. I sold it a few years back. I think it was a 96 edition.
    "Respect for religion must be reestablished. Public debt should be reduced. The arrogance of public officials must be curtailed. Assistance to foreign lands must be stopped or we shall bankrupt ourselves. The people should be forced to work and not depend on government for subsistence." - Cicero, 60 B.C.

For California police academy notes go to http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CABasicPolice/

Forum Member

Thanks guys, i can always count on you guys to come through with the right answers. I think i might just go with the computer version, but I would like one to keep handy while at work..... 80 bucks is a lot, i just hope the updates are free.

SoCal Expatriate
    Well, if you get the computer version you should be able to print it out at work. Seems that would certainly be work related and wouldn't get you in trouble. Besides, plenty of others would probably want to use it.

Forum Member

Got it....Thanks.

I saw a pocket version of it, which had everything in it. The only thing it was from 1999. But I will get the computer version and when tax day come i will get some of that 85 bucks back.....

W/out "ME" its just AWESO
    Try www.pocketpressinc.com

I get a new book every year
    "I have learned to love that which is meant to harm me, so that I can stand in the way of those who are less strong. I can take the bullets for those who aren't able to."

"Violence Is A Language Gangs Understand"

Forum Member

Make sure your dept doesn't have a deal with them first. Everyone in my dept gets access to the online version for free.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by LA Cop View Post
    Make sure your dept doesn't have a deal with them first. Everyone in my dept gets access to the online version for free.
    cool, i will look into that....thanks

Forum Member

2008 Field Guide (pocket size Source Book)

The 2008 Field Guide can be bought from the California District Attorney's Association. Contact Randi Moon at (916)930-3017. The cost was $12.60 plus shipping....These are a great tool and easy to use. It's like having the Source Book in your pocket.

Molon Labe
    Quote Originally Posted by LB Blue View Post
    Thanks guys, i can always count on you guys to come through with the right answers. I think i might just go with the computer version, but I would like one to keep handy while at work..... 80 bucks is a lot, i just hope the updates are free.
    No such luck....updates are $85 a year.....
    The posts on this forum by this poster are of his personal opinion, and his personal opinion alone

"Politicians are like diapers. They need to be changed often and for the same reason"

"We fight not for glory; nor for wealth; nor honor, but only and alone we fight for freedom, which no good man surrenders but with his life"

Forum Member
    Southern Kalifornia (Peoples' Republic of)
    Quote Originally Posted by PlacerDeputy View Post
    The 2008 Field Guide can be bought from the California District Attorney's Association. Contact Randi Moon at (916)930-3017. The cost was $12.60 plus shipping....These are a great tool and easy to use. It's like having the Source Book in your pocket.
    THIS is the way to go, IMHO!
    "It's a game of cat and mouse. It's a game of hide and seek. Albeit games with deadly consequences. Like most games-the better you know the rules, the more likely you are to win."

Back in the Bay!

Here's the digital versions:

http://www.copware.com/

If I recall correctly the pocket field guide is oriented toward the patrol officer so chapters that apply to detectives (search warrants, etc) are omitted.

Here's a link to the CDAA website with info on ordering both the field guide from CDAA and the full version from CA OSP:

http://www.cdaa.org/pubs/index.htm
    If you see me running try to keep up!

Forum Member

Is it a good resource for a new officer?

Back in the Bay!

The field guide is great bathroom reading for the motivated rookie officer. I also highly recommend Alameda County DA's Point of View articles.

http://le.alcoda.org/publications/point_of_view/
    If you see me running try to keep up!