Forum Member

MCOLES certified/certifiable question

Looking at some jobs posts where they want one of the two as a requirement for applying for the position.

What's the difference between the two (certified vs certifiable)?

Forum Member
    Certifiable means you have graduated from an academy (thus "certifiable").

Once you are hired, you become "certified" (MCOLES assigns a MCOLES # to you, similar to a license number).

Forum Member

10-4, thanks.
    One more question...

And once you are certifiable, you have 1 year to get certified before your certifiable status expires?

Forum Member

Right, 1 year

Forum Member

Last edited by tuebor; 09-07-2007 at 11:15 AM.

Forum Member

From what I've read, it still is 1yr from the time you graduate the academy.

" It is important to note that these "pre-service" candidates are required to obtain employment with a law enforcement agency as a law enforcement officer within one (1) year of graduation in order to be licensed, although one additional year of eligibility may be obtained by satisfactorily completing the Recognition of Prior Training and Experience program."

http://www.michigan.gov/mcoles/0,160...155---,00.html

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by tuebor View Post
    Candidates who, for any reason, have been unable to secure law enforcement employment within one year of successfully completing the training process will now be able to access the Waiver of Training program to gain additional eligibility, beyond the former 2-year limit.
    This seems to mean you're certifiable for one year after you complete the academy. Then you're done, unless you complete whatever the Waiver of Training program is.

Forum Member

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by tuebor View Post
    Confusing stuff........Sabre I would contact the MCOLES rep direct so he can give you the current run down. Good luck!
    Ya, I don't get it. Already employed, though !!!

Forum Member

Forum Member

Per a quick conversation with MCOLES, the 1 year time period still stands. The 2 year time period applies to those previously employed for 5 or more years in a law enforcement position. So the way I understand it, the 2 year period is like an extended grace period for those that may have a lapse in employment. ie... you're employed and licensed, you quit and then have up to two years to find another LE job before your cerificate expires.

very confusing indeed. of course, non of this would matter much is there were any jobs in this state. oh well.

Forum Member

I have to say that the job market in Michigan right now has picked up some, there have been quite a few jobs popping up on the radar lately.

Most recently, there have been several agencies posting vacancy announcements. I.E. City of Plymouth, Meridian Twp., Van Buren Twp., St. Clair Co., Livingston Co., Eaton Co., Ottawa Co., (the county posting are all for road patrol), Howell, Eastern Michigan University, Flint, Kalamazoo DPS, Village of Holly, Stockbridge, Highland Park, Wayne Co. Airport Authority, Bloomfield Twp., West Bloomfield Twp., Auburn Hills, Oakland Co., and there are several other I'm sure I've missed. However, that is a pretty good amount of jobs to choose from as compared to recent months.

Additionally, I know many of the above listed agencies are still accepting applications so hurry up and get your stuff in before the closing date.

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MIDeputy View Post
    I have to say that the job market in Michigan right now has picked up some, there have been quite a few jobs popping up on the radar lately.

Most recently, there have been several agencies posting vacancy announcements. I.E. City of Plymouth, Meridian Twp., Van Buren Twp., St. Clair Co., Livingston Co., Eaton Co., Ottawa Co., (the county posting are all for road patrol), Howell, Eastern Michigan University, Flint, Kalamazoo DPS, Village of Holly, Stockbridge, Highland Park, Wayne Co. Airport Authority, Bloomfield Twp., West Bloomfield Twp., Auburn Hills, Oakland Co., and there are several other I'm sure I've missed. However, that is a pretty good amount of jobs to choose from as compared to recent months.

Additionally, I know many of the above listed agencies are still accepting applications so hurry up and get your stuff in before the closing date.

This ****es me off. I have wanted to work for Van Buren for awhile now. Didn't know they were hiring until I saw your comment. Apps are due today, the 14th. I got an app on the 13th with hopes of getting it turned in on time. Nope, I see they wanted high school and college transcripts, which I lost 5 years ago when I got my job I'm at now. They also wanted a credit report, which is no problem, just no time to get it. Just wish I had heard about it sooner. Maybe next time.