Army wife supreme

Autopsy vs. Necropsy

What is the difference between an Autopsy and a Necropsy? I was reading an article about the DMX situation and the article contained the following sentence.

The results of the necropsies will be used as evidence for possible charges of animal cruelty, Arpaio said.
    Is a necropsy something done on non-human remains or is it something completely different?

Forum Member
    A "necropsy" is the word used to describe "autopsies" performed on animals and other non-humans. They are one in the same.

Army wife supreme
    Other non-humans?

At the risk of sounding completely brainless, what else would a necropsy be performed on, other than animals?

This sounds like information that I might be able to use in my writing later on down the road.

Forum Member
    You know man....like aliens... Just kidding I am not sure why I added the; "other non-humans" bit, I may just be tired. Necropsy is actually the exact same thing as an autopsy. However, the prefix "auto" means self, therefore, when performed on "one of our own" (i.e. human) it is called an autopsy. But when performed on a non-human, the term necropsy is used. Same thing, different application. Hope that helps.

Army wife supreme
    So now we know what they were doing out there in Roswell... Thank you, for taking the time to answer my questions. I have a few more, but it is completely unrelated to this so I'll post them later.