Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Forum Member

NYC Correction ESU

Does anyone here know what the process is after handing in an application for ESU. Is it mostly just an application then try-outs when ever openings come up? Thanks ahead for any input.

After you hand in the application you will be called on an interview.If you are liked on the interview and your record is not messed up you will be put into a training class when ever that comes up or just get a major hook.Are you going for support or full time ESU?
    P/M me for a patch trade.

Forum Member
    i was just interested to see how it works. i was told by someone in ESU that they need reserve officers and that i should put in for it. but we will see. im sure it will be lot harder to get on fulltime though. i konw alot of people always want to get on ESU so im sure the list is quite long.

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by salc0025 View Post
    Does anyone here know what the process is after handing in an application for ESU. Is it mostly just an application then try-outs when ever openings come up? Thanks ahead for any input.
    As posted above just put in an application and resume and they will interview you. if they like you , you will go through Hell Week

If you make it you will be put on the support team. Unless you have a major hook you will not go on they full time team.

As noted by my sarcasm above , as long as you have a hook you will pass hell week. The team is def not as high speed as it used to be., Mainly because of all the bosses putting their unqualified people on the team and too many females that cant get out of their own way let alone contribute.

Their are still some very high speed people on the team but overal its a shadow of what it once was.

I saw lock up "return to rikers" there were some BIG dudes on the team. I wish NYS DOCS would take that more seriously and show the inmates that were in charge.
    If we unite and fight..we can win the day..Save Ogdensburgh or your facility may be next..

Forum Member
    But then...that would make them feel bad

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DOCSatTheGunk View Post
    I saw lock up "return to rikers" there were some BIG dudes on the team. I wish NYS DOCS would take that more seriously and show the inmates that were in charge.
    Oh yeah there still a bunch of monsters on the team. 6'6 300 and a bad disposition

Quote Originally Posted by ColtM4 View Post
    As posted above just put in an application and resume and they will interview you. if they like you , you will go through Hell Week

If you make it you will be put on the support team. Unless you have a major hook you will not go on they full time team.

As noted by my sarcasm above , as long as you have a hook you will pass hell week. The team is def not as high speed as it used to be., Mainly because of all the bosses putting their unqualified people on the team and too many females that cant get out of their own way let alone contribute.

Their are still some very high speed people on the team but overal its a shadow of what it once was.
    Hey Colt,
    You hit it right on the head.I went though the academy with an officer whos father knew somebody and after a year in the jails went to ESU full time on the midnight tour.It must be nice to have a hook.

Forum Member
    Hey everyone Im new to this thread I took the 6024 exam..I just wanted to ask realisticly speaking. How long does it take for a corrections officer to become captain? I know after the 2 year probation period, and after 3 years of service one can be awarded captain. But is the mentioned time table actually occuring?

Also does anyone know the process for getting into the K-9 Unit. What are the requirements.. Thank you..Good Luck to all
    Last edited by gdot17; 10-07-2008 at 06:26 PM. Reason: typo

Quote Originally Posted by gdot17 View Post
    Hey everyone Im new to this thread I took the 6024 exam..I just wanted to ask realisticly speaking. How long does it take for a corrections officer to become captain? I know after the 2 year probation period, and after 3 years of service one can be awarded captain. But is the mentioned time table actually occuring?

Also does anyone know the process for getting into the K-9 Unit. What are the requirements.. Thank you..Good Luck to all
    It all depends on what you score on the test to be made captain.The way things are now if you score a 40 and have a pulse you will be made.As far as K-9,Do you have a hook?

Forum Member
    Thank you, no I do not have a hook, is there any other way to get into k-9 unit?

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gdot17 View Post
    Thank you, no I do not have a hook, is there any other way to get into k-9 unit?
    and also, are those thier own dogs? Might b a stupid question, but how does that work?

Quote Originally Posted by thxbklyn View Post
    and also, are those thier own dogs? Might b a stupid question, but how does that work?
    No they are given the dogs and have to train with them in Georgia.The officers have to option to take the dogs home or leave them in the kennel on rikers overnight.

Condition Corrected
    Does anybody knows what their PT is like? Some of the officers I've seen look really fit.

Forum Member
    The PT during hell week is pretty strenuois however if you have a hook you dont really have to worry cause your in regardless.

Getting into K-9 is 100% all about having a REALLY big hook, past experience and training you may have meams nothing

yea NYCDOC seems to be all about hooks...what is the NYCDOC firearm situation...Ive heard that after you get on not only are you not issued a firearm, but you arent allowed to carry off duty until 6 months...then Ive heard after probation...and what off duty weapon are you allowed to carry...is there a list?

thanks
    Last edited by JOEQUEENSNY; 03-11-2009 at 03:38 AM. Reason: adding text

Forum Member
    I have a few great hooks in NYCDOC and I am thinking about filling out my application. I am already a CO with GA and was one with FL as well. But now it is time to head back home,

How long is NYCDOC process from application, background, to academy?

Quote Originally Posted by SOON 2 B LEO View Post
    I have a few great hooks in NYCDOC and I am thinking about filling out my application. I am already a CO with GA and was one with FL as well. But now it is time to head back home,

How long is NYCDOC process from application, background, to academy?
    It depends...in my case it only took 5 months.

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kingofqueens718 View Post
    It depends...in my case it only took 5 months.

That is not too bad, what did it depend on?
    When did you come abroad?
    Was it recently or what? I have a few hooks with the dept there and I know that there is alot going on, so I figure I would asked now

Its been 9 months and I just recieved my list number on Monday, They arent as quick with the process like they were...I havent even got a letter for orientation or nothing...so its a different wait then when kingofqueens was processed...and I have a low list number and a very high grade

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JOEQUEENSNY View Post
    Its been 9 months and I just recieved my list number on Monday, They arent as quick with the process like they were...I havent even got a letter for orientation or nothing...so its a different wait then when kingofqueens was processed...and I have a low list number and a very high grade
    So you have waited at least 9 months and you are just finding out what number you are on the list

When they gave you the list number do they tell you how much time you have to wait for the academy?

Believe it or not that seems better than the NYS they have people waiting for years

Oh yea definately quicker then state man. I just recieved my list number on monday then I'll recieve an orientation letter ... Paperwork backround, psych... The works, then I guess depending on how smooth everything is and depending on my BI...don't know how long exactly from here...I'm praying the next academy because my job is very boring right now

Forum Member
    Oh yea definately quicker then state man. I just recieved my list number on monday then I'll recieve an orientation letter ... Paperwork backround, psych... The works, then I guess depending on how smooth everything is and depending on my BI...don't know how long exactly from here...I'm praying the next academy because my job is very boring right now
    I thought so, I just went ahead and apply for exam 8055 but I will be taking the NYS also, I figure I will go with the first one that calls, but I am sure it would be NYC.

I have some good hooks with NYC anyway so we will see. The wife is really to move back home, and really so am I

We seem to be on this site at the same time Good luck to ya

I applied for the NYS exam April 4th ... I havent heard anything about taking it yet. We shall see, but since I live here in queens I dont know if I would be up for the commute upstate. I think the closest prison is Sing Sing in Ossining westchester...and thats pretty far from Queens to drive everyday...we shall see but NYC is my first option plus they make more.

Forum Member
    I applied for the NYS exam April 4th ... I havent heard anything about taking it yet. We shall see, but since I live here in queens I dont know if I would be up for the commute upstate. I think the closest prison is Sing Sing in Ossining westchester...and thats pretty far from Queens to drive everyday...we shall see but NYC is my first option plus they make more.
    The NYS exam is suppose to be April 4th 2009 I did not hear anything as of yet either but I am from Queens --- St Albans, and S. Ozone Park.
    I plan on moving upstate, I am thinking about Dutchess County, Orange County, or Rockland.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast