Forum Member

I Found A License Plate - What Do I Do?

What do you do if you find someone's license plate in the street?

I don't want the guy to get a ticket. On the other hand, I have no idea who he is.

Forum Member

return it to your nearest MVD office.

mind your own business
    For the cops out there: You are an adult. If you want to write someone, write them. If you don't want to write someone, then don't write them.

"Jeff, you are the best cop on this board"-Anonymous Post

Retired Sergeant - CHP
    You can turn it in to the nearest DPS, DMV or PD.
    Be courteous to all, but intimate with few, and let those few be well tried before you give them your confidence!

[George Washington (1732 - 1799)]

Operator
    What Sarge said.....turn it into your local DMV or call the locals.....tell them you found it and where....and let them deal with it.....

I use to get plates given to me from time-to-time....I would note who gave it to me, under what circumstances, run the thing to see if there were any wants on it.....then go from there....

9 out of 10 times it was taken to DMV and they dropped it in a box to be shipped back to wherever....

Forum Member
    As has been said......turn it in to the local PD,DMV or DPS. Better to have it turned in than to have some crook pick it up and use it.

Frank Booth
    Nail it to a rafter in your garage, and in 50 or 60 years, it will be something cool for the people living in your house to look at.

Army wife supreme
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank Booth View Post
    Nail it to a rafter in your garage, and in 50 or 60 years, it will be something cool for the people living in your house to look at.
    Hey did you ever live in Arizona? My neighbor has a garage that with an old AZ license plate stuck on the ceiling. It's white (a long time ago) with blue lettering and says Arizona 1962. Kind of cool really. That plate is older than me!!

MadMan

I know this hasn't been said yet, but you should proabably take it down to the local DMV or police department.
    A true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.

-GK Chesterton

FIR NA DLI "MEN OF LAW"

Put it on your car. You just saved $100. JUST KIDDING! TURN IT IN!
    "Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything!"-Wyatt Earp

"You never know when crazy will show up!"-Irishdep

JPR
    Forum Member
    Keep it in your trunk.......When you are in a hurry to get somewhere, put it on your car and go through the red lights with cameras. Especially if the plate belongs to a guy who stole your girlfriend.

Seriously, I would probably hang it my garage. I doubt my state's DMV would want to hassle the red tape of processing it if someone turned it in. Just my two cents....
    Jubilant Patriotic Republican

America gave Obama the benefit of the doubt when they elected him. Obama is now giving America the doubt of the benefit of his governance......Change you can bereave in!..JPR

Frank Booth
    Hey did you ever live in Arizona? My neighbor has a garage that with an old AZ license plate stuck on the ceiling. It's white (a long time ago) with blue lettering and says Arizona 1962. Kind of cool really. That plate is older than me!!
    Not yet....I do have some old tags from the 20's and 30's though....And one cool thing you can do in MI, not sure about other states......If you have an old car, you can get an old plate, from a garage sale, ebay, whatever, and register that plate to your car, so your '32 Ford can have a 1932 plate. Technically, it's only to be used for car shows, cruises, etc.....But it is what it is....