Page 1 of 2 12 Last
    Forum Member

East Coast Police Departments

I'm looking at applying to some police departments on the east coast and I'd like some suggestions from people. I'd like to be on/near the ocean and also a larger department would be preferable (over 100 officers). I'd like to work in an area with some crime as opposed to a place where the highlights of the shift are dui's. (no offense to any departments that are like that, I'm just interested in a little more learning and experience). So, what are your suggestions? and if you don't mind, give me some of the benefits of the department - take home, good pay, etc. Thanks in advance for your responses,

D

Verbal Sniper
    Hon, you lookin' for the Northern or the Southern part of the East Coast?

I don't agree with your opinion, but I respect its straightforwardness in terms of wrongness.

Future Traffic cop
    Virginia Beach Police, Chesapeake, Norfolk. We have alot to choose from in the Hampton roads area. I'd go with VBPD, starting pay for laterals is pretty good. So far as I know they do not have a take home vehicle program. And it is of course by the ocean. I am not a LEO, although I did intern for VBPD.

www.vbgov.com/dept/police

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Smurfette_76 View Post
    Hon, you lookin' for the Northern or the Southern part of the East Coast?
    Either one - I like the south better because it's warmer and me thinks the beaches are just a wee bit prettier, lol.

Forum Member

Charleston, Sc Pd

Forum Member

Anyone else have any suggestions? I even tried looking at all the different big cities on google maps, but that wasn't too helpful.........

Forum Lurker

If you're looking at the NY area, try out the Suffolk and Nassau County police depts. I believe Suffolk PD officers are amoung the highest paid in the country.

Hustler
    Quote Originally Posted by dwhite725 View Post
    Anyone else have any suggestions? I even tried looking at all the different big cities on google maps, but that wasn't too helpful.........
    You need to be more specific. Where exactly on the East Coast? There are not too many agencies (over 100) that are smack dab on the beach. However, if you do a search on this website, I am sure you will find many agencies.
    "An excuse is worse and more terrible than a lie, for an excuse is a lie guarded."

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by irishlad2nv View Post
    You need to be more specific. Where exactly on the East Coast? There are not too many agencies (over 100) that are smack dab on the beach. However, if you do a search on this website, I am sure you will find many agencies.
    anywhere on the east coast - i just want to be near water

Forum Member

charleston i heard you have to have a BA to be a cop there....kinda outrageous if you ask me.
    "Saying guns cause crime is like saying pencils cause spelling mistakes"

Verbal Sniper
    Alright. Try Wilmington NC or New Bern NC...those are the largest two near the water that you'll find. Most everything east of Raleigh is small town and the biggest departments are in the middle of the state. Wilmington is larger than New Bern and is a college town. I've known several that worked there and really enjoyed it.

I don't agree with your opinion, but I respect its straightforwardness in terms of wrongness.

Forum Member

Atlantic City PD or

Jersey City PD

Forum Member

yea man`

Quote Originally Posted by airforce81 View Post
    charleston i heard you have to have a BA to be a cop there....kinda outrageous if you ask me.
    yea , you do have to have a BA to work for Charleston City PD, and a couple other agencies are like that here in the area, but the pay is better!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by nymets07 View Post
    Atlantic City PD or

Jersey City PD

Add Newark to that list as well they are HURTING for people.

Forum Member

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by dwhite725 View Post
    I'm looking at applying to some police departments on the east coast and I'd like some suggestions from people. I'd like to be on/near the ocean and also a larger department would be preferable (over 100 officers). I'd like to work in an area with some crime as opposed to a place where the highlights of the shift are dui's. (no offense to any departments that are like that, I'm just interested in a little more learning and experience). So, what are your suggestions? and if you don't mind, give me some of the benefits of the department - take home, good pay, etc. Thanks in advance for your responses,

D

Oh, you want to work where there is crime. Camden, N.J. You'll be busy with crime and you will learn fast and gain expirence your first shift.

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kpdpipes View Post
    Just be forewarned that Atlantic City, Jersey City, and Newark require residency to get hired. I wouldn't be too thrilled to live in Newark or AC.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by JLib72 View Post
    Just be forewarned that Atlantic City, Jersey City, and Newark require residency to get hired. I wouldn't be too thrilled to live in Newark or AC.

Isn't Jersey City getting better?

Forum Member

thanks for all the replies - i'm checking into all of them............

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kpdpipes View Post
    I think it is. My wife's family lives there,and it's not bad at all.

Forum Member

Jersey City? Don't you like this guy? I haven't even looked at his profile but darn, Jersey City?

Learn the meaning of politics. But what do I know? Do you want a career and life by the beach. I've spent a few pleasant afternoons, trust me on this one, there is no beach in Jersey City.

Atlantic City is a dump and if you want to chase hookers (they all wear pink), but you want the best in surf breaks, that is another question.

Asbury Park if you like the usual riff raff or Long Branch? Then you can live a few towns over and still get the best of what's left.

Forum Member

I have to say, I just got back from Ocean City, MD and I was impressed very much by both the community itself and the law enforcement in the area.

Hustler
    Quote Originally Posted by OTVFD18 View Post
    I have to say, I just got back from Ocean City, MD and I was impressed very much by both the community itself and the law enforcement in the area.
    Ocean City is a good agency, however their numbers drop (officer wise) after the summer. They are usually fully staffed under 100 Officers. Then with that, the calls drop, the action ceases, etc...It's a beach resort, so after the summer season there is not much to do, nor are many places open.
    "An excuse is worse and more terrible than a lie, for an excuse is a lie guarded."

Operator
    Quote Originally Posted by irishlad2nv View Post
    Ocean City is a good agency, however their numbers drop (officer wise) after the summer. They are usually fully staffed under 100 Officers. Then with that, the calls drop, the action ceases, etc...It's a beach resort, so after the summer season there is not much to do, nor are many places open.
    Yeah....big difference going now.....then going back around X-mas.....

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by JLib72 View Post
    At the time of appointment you have to be a resident..but you only have to live in the city until the end of your first year.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by enviroguy View Post
    Jersey City? Don't you like this guy? I haven't even looked at his profile but darn, Jersey City?
    that's hilarious - really cracked me up.......... i'm not very fond of jersey to begin with - it seems a bit communist to me at times as i'm really into guns and shooting......... no assault weapons would just kill me......... lol. I'll look into it as a last resort though.........

Page 1 of 2 12 Last