Forum Member

1.5 mile run time...

What is a good goal to set for the 1.5 mile run??? The academy standard is 15:00 flat and is the same for Men/Women and /age...

I have been running for a couple months now 3 times a week and my best time is a 9:51...is that a good time for a 35 yr old????

Forum Member
    Southern Kalifornia (Peoples' Republic of)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tuffy View Post
    What is a good goal to set for the 1.5 mile run??? The academy standard is 15:00 flat and is the same for Men/Women and /age...

I have been running for a couple months now 3 times a week and my best time is a 9:51...is that a good time for a 35 yr old????
    Yes! After 30, if you can do 8 minute miles (12 min for 1.5 miles) I think that is pretty dang good shape. Your 1.5 miles time of 9:51 is indicative of sub-7 minute miles, VERY impressive! 'Specially if any kind of hills are involved. Keep in mind, that if this is your time on a treadmill, it is not indicative of real-world, on-the-street running.

EDJ
    "It's a game of cat and mouse. It's a game of hide and seek. Albeit games with deadly consequences. Like most games-the better you know the rules, the more likely you are to win."

Sine Metu
    That is a good time. I just graduated from our Academy in June and my best time was 11:40 and I was in the top third of my class. EDJ had a good point about hills and street versus treadmill. Also...keep in mind that Academies usually use 1.5 mile runs as a measuring device. For actual PC you will most likely run longer distances. Be prepared for distance. Slow your pace which sounds great so that you can do 3-4 miles with ten minute miles...that requires endurance and not just strength. I always tempered speed with distance, don't ignore them both. Good Luck and do push ups and sit ups...too!
    Well first, life dealt you a bad hand, then you decided to double down.

Forum Member

Yes, that 9:51 is on a treadmill, my actual track time is 9:57, not far off.

What I do when I run is pretty much run the first 1.5 miles at a fast pace or what I'm comfortable doing , then slow down and run a steady pace and finsh out with 3 miles total...

The sit-ups are what are tearing my butt up, LOL!! We have 60 seconds to do as many as possible with 34 being the min., right now I'm pooping out at 36 with 15 seconds left...I really need to work on my core strenght and endurance...pushups till failure, I'm at 51 before I poop out doing them....200yard sprint with a 40 second min. I'm running it in 28.7 seconds...

Thanks for the replies...

Forum Member
    I ran a 9:30 and I am your age. I was 79th out of 149 in my academy class with that time. A couple of guys ran 7:56 and 7:58 so...

Sit ups and push ups will improve in time.

Sounds like you are in good shape. Keep it up.

Forum Member
    Yes, that 9:51 is on a treadmill, my actual track time is 9:57, not far off.

What I do when I run is pretty much run the first 1.5 miles at a fast pace or what I'm comfortable doing , then slow down and run a steady pace and finsh out with 3 miles total...

The sit-ups are what are tearing my butt up, LOL!! We have 60 seconds to do as many as possible with 34 being the min., right now I'm pooping out at 36 with 15 seconds left...I really need to work on my core strenght and endurance...pushups till failure, I'm at 51 before I poop out doing them....200yard sprint with a 40 second min. I'm running it in 28.7 seconds...

Thanks for the replies...
    that's really good, I'm 15years younger than you and your running your 1.5 around the same as me I think last time I did it last week I was at like 9:20ish I just started running trying to improve my time.
    "Why you harassing me?"

Forum Member

Thanks for all the feedback...

Forum Member

Thats a really good time. I'm 22 and my best time yesterday was 9:58. I've been training for marathons for the past few years however so I'm not used to running 400's in 80 seconds or so. But anyways I know the academy I'm going to has a max 1.5 mile time of 13 minutes so you'll be fine.

Can't think of anything

Yes, that 9:51 is on a treadmill, my actual track time is 9:57, not far off..

How do you manage that? I do 8:30-9 on roads or whatever, but rarely can manage less than 12 on a treadmill.

Must be my natural lack of coordination.

Forum Member

If you want to improve your 1.5 mile time, on a track, which is what I assume you are being tested on, do the following: Run one lap ( 1/4 mile ) as fast as you can, then walk a lap, then run it, then walk it, for a total of 1.5 miles running and 1.5 miles walking. It is simple interval training, but it will improve your endurance for the short term, which will improve your time. Work the core, because fatigue sets in at the core, then manifests itself in your legs and/or breathing. Do situps every single day, as the abs are the muscle group that can pretty much be worked without a day off ( within reason ). Good luck and after a short period of time, you will see improved running times. Keeping in mind, for your age, your current time is good. I am a PT instructor here at an academy in NJ, and love to see people working out when they don't have to. Remember guys, running and catching someone isn't the party...it's the invitation to the party. The party starts when it's time to subdue and cuff. If you have the wind to catch them but nothing left when you do, you just ran to GET an *** kicking. Be safe all

Forum Member
    My question is what do all you guys weigh with those impressive times?

What is your body type?

what are you wearing (ok just kidding!

Can't think of anything

I don't really see impressive.

The times I posted are way below average.

Keep in mind a lot of us had to do 5 miles in 40 minutes to get out of AIT and 4 miles in 36 (plus or minus 30 seconds) is a published standard. I would say an average 2 mile time is probably 14-15 minutes with many doing it in much less.

weight? Around 200 (depends on the day and what I've been doing)
    body type? I say fat, but some people disagree.

here's what I'm wearing (check out the background)
    Attached Images Attached Images

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by DagoSarge View Post
    If you have the wind to catch them but nothing left when you do, you just ran to GET an *** kicking. Be safe all
    Good point. I had the unfortunate experience of catching the guy, but was so out of breath I couldn't remember how to work the cuffs. Can you imagine being on the job 11 years and not being able to remember how to work hand cuffs. Fortunately the mope was in worse shape than me and when he was pulled off the fence and dropped onto the ground, I think I knocked whatever wind he had left, out. Compound that with I lost my balance and he had another 220 drop on his torso, I think he was out for a couple seconds. He didn't move or make a sound until my CPL, who weighed in at well over 300 dropped on him and applied the cuffs. I redoubled my efforts at aerobic fitness after that.

Forum Member
    4 miles 36 mins.......did you work for Wackenhut?

Game Ma$ta
    Florida fish and wildlife requires 1.5 miles in under 12:56- I think thats a big requirement in comparison to some of the other PATs Ive seen required, Id consider a sub-13 minute 1.5 miler very good.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by DagoSarge View Post
    , you just ran to GET an *** kicking.
    Sad but true, hell I'm still laughing !!!!

Dago.....Thats what I do after I run my 1.5, my buddies at the gym call it cycle training, most of the time I will run pretty close to 4 miles..I have only been running for about 2 months now..

Donsmith.....I find it easier to run on a treadmill than outside on the ground...I think the reason my times are so close is because when I do run on the tread mill I will set it on a 2% incline....

I'm a little feller..... 5-7 and around 145...... and the last time I checked I had around 10 percent BF...

Probation Violation ;)

To get certified in ohio males 20-29 have 11:55 to do 1.5 miles, 1 minute to do 40 situps, and one minute to do 33 pushups.

When i started the academy i was 6'1'' 290 lbs, dropped down to 250, completed it pretty easy.