Page 1 of 3 123 Last

Thread: expired tag

Forum Member

expired tag

I stopped a guy the other day that had a May 2007 expired tag. I wrote him, but I told him that I would drop the citation if he brought proof of a Revalidation Decal to court. I really dont like giving citations for expired tag because I know that the only reason for that law is to raise money. What do you guys think. Do you write for that?

Rah Rah Rah for Ski U Mah
    I usually only write if it's at least 2 months expired. I'll start towing after 6 months.

Forum Member
    I wrote expired tags all the time.

State of Missouri sends you a form (usually) the month before they are due.

No excuses not to have your vehicle properly registared if your going to operate it on public streets.

Forum Member

I write it if its 2 weeks out of date. Since its just a fix-it ticket in my court, I figure if they couldnt take a few minutes out of their day in the last 6 weeks to hit up the dmv, they can sit in court for a few minutes to get it adjusted.

Forum Member
    Of course "the only reason for that law is to raise money". Building and maintaining roads is expensive. Vehicle registration fees here in Washington are less than the cost of a tank of gas. That's pretty cheap and I don't have much sympathy for those unwilling to pay their share. That being said,I usually don't write until they're at least 30 days past due.

I don't tell people I'll drop a citation. That's the job of the prosecutor or judge.
    Last edited by Seventy2002; 07-21-2007 at 05:12 PM. Reason: spelling

Forum Member
    I write expired tags no matter what and I'll tell you why. If you stop someone for an expired tag, a towable offense in NY, then I write. God forbid if that person goes down the street just after you stopped them or a few days later and you didn't do what you were suppose to do, then your going to be on the end of a lawsuit and the department is gonna pay. Better follow your general orders to the letter or your going to be the one in trouble in the long run.

Write the ticket, if they get the registration revalidated and show proof in court then talk to the judge to see if he will dismiss or reduce to a equipment violation or something. Just protect yourself.

All the motorist has to do is register online or mail it in here or go to the local DMV, how many more breaks do they need ?

Forum Member

Thanks for replies

In Georgia the newer your car is the more you pay for your tag. If you have a new car you will have to pay over 200 dollars.

An Obvious problem
    I have found people that don't take care of their tags usually don't bother to take care of the other little problems in their life. An excellent stop that can easilly lead to bigger and better things.....
    Today's Quote:

"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits."
    Albert Einstein

yes, it really is me...
    I'm 50/50 on whether I write expired tags (very likely if its over 2 months, not as likely if its under 2 months), but its dismissed in court if they are in compliance on their court date.

A man should never be ashamed to own that he has been in the wrong, which is but saying... that he is wiser today than yesterday. Jonathan Swift 1667-1745

It's only a conspiracy when your party is not in power.

Forum Member

I just wrote one the other day expired 5-07, I saw the inspection was expired , and the insurance card was expired. I wrote 'em.

Corporal
    Quote Originally Posted by ignignokt373 View Post
    I wrote expired tags all the time.

State of Missouri sends you a form (usually) the month before they are due.

No excuses not to have your vehicle properly registared if your going to operate it on public streets.
    I agree. They do the same in MD. The only reason for not receiveing notice is failure to submit a change of address. Most of the time the real reason is that they have their license plate flagged for an outstanding parking ticket, failure to get emissions inspection, or lack of insurance, ect. I wont drop a ticket, thats the judges job, and they drop the charges all the time absent some aggrivating circumstance.

Former Deputy Sheriff

They know that their tags have expired.
    They get an invitation.

I pay for my emissions inspection (required in Georgia) and renew my tags every year and so is everyone else.

Forum Member

I write them, I may give a week or so at expiration before writing but after that its a done deal. I have to pay to renew my registration so do they.

Hard Charger
    i write everyone of them.. however i will give them a week unless its my only pc or they were very aggravating.... the way I see it is, if i have to pay my taxes on time, than so should everyone else.

The .40 Dog Whisperer
    I'll write for either expired registration or expired inspection as soon as the 5-day grace period is up.

Our new registration stickers are impossible to read from the inside of the car, unlike the older ones. But, you still get notification in the mail, so...no excuse.
    Last edited by School Cop; 07-29-2007 at 11:26 PM. Reason: adding info
    If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

---Jack Handey

Forum Member
    I typically give a 15 day grace period for permanent plates and a 3 day grace period on paper plates. After that, I write it.

Forum Member

Expired Tag

Renewing your tag in Alabama is one of the easiest things you can do. It can be done by mail. We also have a staggered registration system. My personal feeling is, that each of us has to purchase a tag. So does the other guy. When I was on active duty, I'd allow a month before I started writing. Past that, I had no problem for citing for Expired Tag.

Forum Member
    I actually allow up to 3 months before I write a citation. This may be because I was there as a young man with little to no money. I like to give the offending person a chance to comply by spending the $80 on their registration rather than on the cite I would have given them.

Within 30 days I give a verbal warning. Between 1 to 3 months I issue a 15 day warning ticket. If I get the warning cite back as having not been taken care of then I write the cite and send it in the mail.

However, all that being said, I pull every car over if it is expired. It is great PC for the stop and, as stated earlier, leads to other, bigger, things.
    Good traffic rule of thumb - Broke down people, drive broke down cars.

My work is done here
    Ticket and quite possibly towed here(wont drive away). Discretion for lock up also
    Just shut your damn hole

Dead Souls-----They keep calling me

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by School Cop View Post
    I'll write for either expired registration or expired inspection as soon as the 5-day grace period is up.

Our new registration stickers are impossible to read from the inside of the car, unlike the older ones. But, you still get notification in the mail, so...no excuse.
    I am not a fan of the new ones. Harder for me to pick out on the road as I pass too.
    Normally only write for 2+ months out. Good PC though

AKA Officer Penguin
    Quote Originally Posted by bullseye48 View Post
    I stopped a guy the other day that had a May 2007 expired tag. I wrote him, but I told him that I would drop the citation if he brought proof of a Revalidation Decal to court. I really dont like giving citations for expired tag because I know that the only reason for that law is to raise money. What do you guys think. Do you write for that?

We write for expired here, but only 30 days after the expiration date (all plates expire on either the 30th or 31st of the month). Even with the extra "free" month we give them, there is still a boatload of folks out there with plates that are expired for over 3 months driving around. The good part is that the expired plate usually leads to a suspended driver. no insurance and various criminal violations for those of us trying to be proactive. Its just another tool in the toolbox as far as I am concerned.
    "It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who have died. Rather, we should thank God such men lived." ~ General George Patton

"It is from numberless diverse acts of courage and belief that human history is thus shaped. Each time a man stands up for an ideal, or acts to improve the lot of others, or strikes out against injustice, he sends forth a tiny ripple of hope." ~ Robert Kennedy

Forum Member
    Regardless of when the registration expires I'll give the driver a ticket or send him to court (depends on the attitude of the driver) unless he has a reasonable excuse or an emergent reason for driving while unregistered and I'll give the driver a permit to move his car to the garage address if it's a reasonable distance away. I'll also take the rego plates if the rego has been expired for more than a month. In Queensland there is a 28 day grace period before the car is considered to be uninsured for CTP, then the driver can also get a ticket or be sent to court, again depending on the attitude displayed. Over here CTP covers personal injury to the occupants of the car if involved in an accident.
    If at first you don't succeed, remove all evidence of your attempt.

Forum Member

I generally dont start writing for expired tags until about 2 weeks after the start of the month. I then usually tell them they can go to court and show the paper work showing they go the tag renewed, and usually the judge will work with them. I did let someone off awhile back when i stopped them for having a tag 3 months expired. They had just bought the car about 2 months before it expried, and they did not know that the tags expire by last name. Once that was explained, they were pretty embarassed, so i told them to drive straight home and to get the tag renewed before they drove the vehicle again.
    Guns dont kill people, stupied people kill people!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by mdrdep View Post
    I have found people that don't take care of their tags usually don't bother to take care of the other little problems in their life. An excellent stop that can easilly lead to bigger and better things.....
    You think like I think. I stop for the most minor things, it has paid off nicely, more than once. Some guys wonder why they can't ever get into anything.

LEAZ
    Time permitting I never overlook an opportunity to make a traffic stop. I will give a verbal warning, written warning or traffic citation no matter what the time frame of expiration may be, as long as it is expired. I value the truth on traffic stops, I can understand hardship. However, I remain consistent in my discretionary practices. Your'e free to go. By the way is there anything in the car that should'nt be? Would you mind if I checked???

Page 1 of 3 123 Last