1. #1
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    east coast
    Posts
    21

    Front License Plate in MD?

    My situation:
    I live in Maryland. I recently purchased a vehicle from PA. The vehicle is a Volvo, made by Volvo, in Sweden, back before Ford bought Volvo. The car did not have a front plate on it while in PA, has no front bracket to mount one, nor does it have "dimples" indicating where one should drill/mount the plate into the bumper. Unlike modern Volvo's made in the US, this car's front bumper is actually shorter than a MD plate is tall. (IE: when mounted, part of the tag will either stick up above or below the bumper.) In my opinion the car looks much nicer and has a cleaner look with out a front plate. That being said I am not totally opposed to mounting one. The thing is I don't have it mounted yet, and If I do go ahead and drill holes into this cars perfect body (not a single dent, ding or scratch) I want to be sure that I do it correctly and that I don't end up getting cited/fined/ticketed etc anyway.

    My questions:

    1.What kind of fines/citations/points/trouble etc could I receive for not having a front plate on my bumper in MD?
    2.What are the regulations on how a front plate needs to be mounted?
    Height from road, driver middle or passenger side of bumper, anything else about how/where it should be mounted.
    3. If I did not have the front plate mounted on the bumper would it make any difference if I still had it with me, being either on the dash, just in the passenger compartment or in the trunk?
    4. Can I be fined/cited while driving in other states for not displaying front MD tags?
    5. What would you do or how do you personally handle vehicles with out front plates?
    6. If/when I do mount the front plate, I wanted to use one of those plate frames. Not one with any kind of clear or tinted shield that cover the entire plate, just a frame around the border. Are these completely legal in MD?

    Thanks

  2. #2
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Montgomery Alabama
    Posts
    16,978
    Quote Originally Posted by thisisme123 View Post
    My situation:
    I live in Maryland. I recently purchased a vehicle from PA. The vehicle is a Volvo, made by Volvo, in Sweden, back before Ford bought Volvo. The car did not have a front plate on it while in PA, has no front bracket to mount one, nor does it have "dimples" indicating where one should drill/mount the plate into the bumper. Unlike modern Volvo's made in the US, this car's front bumper is actually shorter than a MD plate is tall. (IE: when mounted, part of the tag will either stick up above or below the bumper.) In my opinion the car looks much nicer and has a cleaner look with out a front plate. That being said I am not totally opposed to mounting one. The thing is I don't have it mounted yet, and If I do go ahead and drill holes into this cars perfect body (not a single dent, ding or scratch) I want to be sure that I do it correctly and that I don't end up getting cited/fined/ticketed etc anyway.

    My questions:

    1.What kind of fines/citations/points/trouble etc could I receive for not having a front plate on my bumper in MD?
    2.What are the regulations on how a front plate needs to be mounted?
    Height from road, driver middle or passenger side of bumper, anything else about how/where it should be mounted.
    3. If I did not have the front plate mounted on the bumper would it make any difference if I still had it with me, being either on the dash, just in the passenger compartment or in the trunk?
    4. Can I be fined/cited while driving in other states for not displaying front MD tags?
    5. What would you do or how do you personally handle vehicles with out front plates?
    6. If/when I do mount the front plate, I wanted to use one of those plate frames. Not one with any kind of clear or tinted shield that cover the entire plate, just a frame around the border. Are these completely legal in MD?

    Thanks
    Esthetics aside, if MD law requires a tag on the front of the vehicle, then you have to mount it. Simply carrying the tag inside the vehicle would place you in violation of the law, as the law requires display, as in being mounted securely on the front and rear of the vehicle. As a practical matter, I would suggest you stop by the local Volvo dealership and see if they can help you.Quite possibly, they can sell and install a good looking mounting bracket for the plate. Any cost you incurr here is a "one time" deal. That beats the probable cost of numerous citations/fines, for not properly displaying your tag.

  3. #3
    Former Deputy Sheriff
    VA Dutch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    1,806

    You could be cited for not having your tag properly displayed, but I doubt very much you would get points....since it is not a moving violation.

    But anyway, try using a little bit of redneck engineering. Get some thin-gauge wire, thread it through the plate holes and then through the openings in your car's grille. Will it look pretty? Probably not; but neither will a defendant's copy of a traffic citation.


    If that is not an option, try going to Pep Boys or NAPA and purchasing a universal tag mount that hooks up underneath the bumper. No drilling through your bumper is necessary, since it will mount to the two existing holes in the underside of the front bumper. I have yet to see any car that doesn't have at least two holes pre-drilled underneath.

    Good luck!!

    The comments above reflect my personal opinion as a private citizen, ordinary motorist and all-around good guy.

    The aforementioned advice should not be construed to represent any type of professional opinion, legal counsel or other type of instruction with regard to traffic laws, judicial proceedings or official agency policy.

    ------------------------------------------------

    "Ignorance on fire is hotter than knowledge on ice."

  4. #4
    Operator
    Bearcat357's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Stuttgart, Germany
    Posts
    18,347
    All the MD vehicles I have seen traveling the beltware or crusing DC/NVA have front places.....so I would take that as a sign you need to have one too......no matter what kind of vehicle you drive......

  5. #5
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    38
    I realize this is an ask a cop section, but let me slide this once as im trying to help save a classic car

    the bumper has zero holes and u need the plate you might want to consider getting those strong magnets and epoxying them on the INSIDE of the bumper...or you could always use industrial 3m double sided tape....it will stay stuck, trust me, and when you do remove the plate youll have to spend a bit off time with goo gone and a rag but at least you want have ruined your paint or drilled into your car

  6. #6
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    east coast
    Posts
    21
    Quote Originally Posted by Bearcat357 View Post
    All the MD vehicles I have seen traveling the beltware or crusing DC/NVA have front places.....so I would take that as a sign you need to have one too......no matter what kind of vehicle you drive......
    Just to clarify, my question isn't so much as to weather or not I am required by law to have one. I know that I need to have one and do plan on putting one on.

    I am looking for any details on the particulars in they way it needs to be mounted. Also, I would like to know of any trouble that I could get in before I have a chance to mount it.

    Thanks again for any responses.

  7. #7
    Hustler
    irishlad2nv's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Time Zone
    Posts
    6,282
    Quote Originally Posted by thisisme123 View Post
    Just to clarify, my question isn't so much as to weather or not I am required by law to have one. I know that I need to have one and do plan on putting one on.

    I am looking for any details on the particulars in they way it needs to be mounted. Also, I would like to know of any trouble that I could get in before I have a chance to mount it.

    Thanks again for any responses.
    You could get cited for not having your front plate mounted and or given a warning. I would get it on ASAP, however in the meantime, have it in your vehicle. Where it can or should be mounted, not exactly sure, but I would contact a dealer and or a mechanic that deals with inspections, etc.
    "An excuse is worse and more terrible than a lie, for an excuse is a lie guarded."

  8. #8
    Corporal
    redbird07's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    1,414
    Quote Originally Posted by thisisme123 View Post
    My situation:
    I live in Maryland. I recently purchased a vehicle from PA. The vehicle is a Volvo, made by Volvo, in Sweden, back before Ford bought Volvo. The car did not have a front plate on it while in PA, has no front bracket to mount one, nor does it have "dimples" indicating where one should drill/mount the plate into the bumper. Unlike modern Volvo's made in the US, this car's front bumper is actually shorter than a MD plate is tall. (IE: when mounted, part of the tag will either stick up above or below the bumper.) In my opinion the car looks much nicer and has a cleaner look with out a front plate. That being said I am not totally opposed to mounting one. The thing is I don't have it mounted yet, and If I do go ahead and drill holes into this cars perfect body (not a single dent, ding or scratch) I want to be sure that I do it correctly and that I don't end up getting cited/fined/ticketed etc anyway.

    My questions:

    1.What kind of fines/citations/points/trouble etc could I receive for not having a front plate on my bumper in MD?
    2.What are the regulations on how a front plate needs to be mounted?
    Height from road, driver middle or passenger side of bumper, anything else about how/where it should be mounted.
    3. If I did not have the front plate mounted on the bumper would it make any difference if I still had it with me, being either on the dash, just in the passenger compartment or in the trunk?
    4. Can I be fined/cited while driving in other states for not displaying front MD tags?
    5. What would you do or how do you personally handle vehicles with out front plates?
    6. If/when I do mount the front plate, I wanted to use one of those plate frames. Not one with any kind of clear or tinted shield that cover the entire plate, just a frame around the border. Are these completely legal in MD?

    Thanks
    1. No points/$60.00 fine. Just mount the plate.

    2. It's not an equipment issue. Just mount the plate on the front bumper.

    3. Dash/Passenger area/Trunk - No points/$60.00 fine. Just mount the plate

    4. Depends on that states traffic law. Just mount the plate.

    5. Automatic PC for a stop. Just mount the plate.

    6. As long as the plate is clearly visible and not obscured you should be allright. Just mount the plate.

  9. #9
    deputyryan
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by redbird07 View Post
    1. No points/$60.00 fine. Just mount the plate.

    2. It's not an equipment issue. Just mount the plate on the front bumper.

    3. Dash/Passenger area/Trunk - No points/$60.00 fine. Just mount the plate

    4. Depends on that states traffic law. Just mount the plate.

    5. Automatic PC for a stop. Just mount the plate.

    6. As long as the plate is clearly visible and not obscured you should be allright. Just mount the plate.

    So in a nut shell your saying he should do what??? lol

  10. #10
    Suck it Trebek!!!!
    jws8308's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    496

    Wink

    Quote Originally Posted by thisisme123 View Post
    Just to clarify, my question isn't so much as to weather or not I am required by law to have one. I know that I need to have one and do plan on putting one on.

    I am looking for any details on the particulars in they way it needs to be mounted. Also, I would like to know of any trouble that I could get in before I have a chance to mount it.

    Thanks again for any responses.

    As stated from the transportation article:

    § 13-411. Display of registration plates and tabs.
    (a) Vehicles for which two registration plates required.- On a vehicle for which two registration plates are required, one plate shall be attached on the front and the other on the rear of the vehicle.

    (c) How plates fastened; legibility.- At all times, each registration plate shall be:

    (1) Maintained free from foreign materials, including registration plate covers as defined in § 13-411.1 of this subtitle, and in a condition to be clearly legible; and
    (2) Securely fastened to the vehicle for which it is issued:
    (i) In a horizontal position;
    (ii) In a manner that prevents the plate from swinging; and
    (iii) In a place and position to be clearly visible.

    As stated before, subject to $60.00 fine with no point assessment


    As far as "how to mount it", maybe pepboys.com has a forum. Try the "ask a mechanic" section.

  11. #11
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    east coast
    Posts
    21

    Update...

    After reading all the responses, ( and thank you to those who responded.) I decided that for a $60 fine & no points I would take my chances, not mount the front plate, and see how long I could go with out any problems.

    I lasted about six months driving around MD, VA. & DC with no front plate. I never had any problems while driving, but the very first time I ever parked the car in DC (happened to be in NW DC) I came back 30 min later to find a ticket for no front plate, $50, no points.

    I now have the plate mounted in front.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Log in

Click here to log in or register