Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last

Thread: Badge Number

Sid
    I Make Things Go

Badge Number

Curious. Do you get to choose the number, or is it assigned? Is it even an option?

Retired Sergeant - CHP
    Badge numbers are the same as the ID number on the California Highway Patrol. They are issued to officer upon their graduation from the academy and the badge number remains with the officer through any or all promotions
    (The department has the "RANK" banner changed).

The number is retired when the officer retires, dies, resigns from the department or is separated for any other reason. If retired a new banner is added to the top of the badge that reads "RETIRED" and the badge is re-presented to the employee.
    Be courteous to all, but intimate with few, and let those few be well tried before you give them your confidence!

[George Washington (1732 - 1799)]

Forum Member

We get our number on hiting, and we stay with it until retirement. Detectives used to be issued another #, but we changed that about 10 years ago.

Forum Member

bage numbers are not given...they are earned....

GS

No, it's NOT a warning...

Quote Originally Posted by SgtCHP View Post
    Badge numbers are the same as the ID number on the California Highway Patrol. They are issued to officer upon their graduation from the academy and the badge number remains with the officer through any or all promotions
    (The department has the "RANK" banner changed).

The number is retired when the officer retires, dies, resigns from the department or is separated for any other reason. If retired a new banner is added to the top of the badge that reads "RETIRED" and the badge is re-presented to the employee.

Same in Arizona. My badge number will always be mine, and mine alone.

Forum Member

Badge Number

Alabama DPS has badges, but no badge numbers. Each Arresting Officer is assigned an Arrest Number. This number stays with him/her throughout their tenure with the department. When the Officer is seperated from the service, through resignation, or upon retirement, the Arrest Number is also "Retired". Each retiring Officer is awarded his/her badge with rank indicated, as well as a Retired ID Card, and service pistol.

Forum Member

My badge number was completely different from my city-ID number. Then, after a silly little promotion, I got a different badge number to go along with the new rank. The badge number gives the public something to identify you, that's all.

Forum Member

My badge number is my call sign and my employee number. I was allowed to pick from a few options, but the pickings grew slimmer as the officers made thier way to the supply clerk who issued us all our gear. The last guy who went was left with the remaining number. There was no rhyme or reason to how we were sent up to supply. It was essentially random.

What had happend was!!!!
    Our numbers are our employee numbers and are given when we are hired. It stays the same until you leave.

Go Army!
    Since the begining our our department (1973) evryone hired, both commisioned and civilian, are issued a personnel number. We commonly refer to it as a "P-Number." It started with 1, and we recently surpassed 10,000.
    We use that as our badge number, so to speak.

Verbal Sniper
    Our badge number and our employee number are the same one. Never reproduced.

I don't agree with your opinion, but I respect its straightforwardness in terms of wrongness.

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LuvedMyMotor View Post
    My badge number was completely different from my city-ID number.
    Same here.

Annoyed, amazed & amused!
    At LAPD, our badges were just handed out with no choice offered to us. We stood alphabetically in line to get them and they were handed our numerically. Badges don't match our employee ID numbers which is how we are tracked throuought our careers.

There are rare exceptions, wherein a parent can pass his/her badge number along to a son/daughter, if the parent has promoted upwards. That used to mean that a dad who was a policeman, could get his son to wear his policeman badge, while all his classmates were wearing police officer badges. That has since been been changed, where the department will get the badge company to create a new police officer badge, with the old policeman's badge number.
    "Many times, I have thoughts and feelings which can only be expressed through dance!" - Bender, Futurama

"Ranking right up there with 'No good deed goes unpunished' are:

'Sooner or later, we just might outlive our usefulness to others' and...

'Sometimes it's very possible to push the most loving and loyal person, beyond the point where they no longer give a 5h!t'"
    - Yours truly

Cherub of Justice
    Quote Originally Posted by Sid View Post
    Curious. Do you get to choose the number, or is it assigned? Is it even an option?
    I requested 666, but it was taken.
    You can now follow me on twitter.

mmmm Beer
    Quote Originally Posted by C-Charlie42 View Post
    Our numbers are our employee numbers and are given when we are hired. It stays the same until you leave.
    and we don't have any actual numbers on our badge...

Clam Cop
    We are assigned a number between 100 and 200 that is our call sign - some go with rank like the Sheriff is always 100, Chief Deputy 101, Lt 102, etc. Rank and file deputies keep the same number until they are promoted to the big time or leave, then it is reassigned although there are a couple that have been retired. We do not actually have numbers on our badges but on our ID cards it has a place for badge number and that is the same - mine is 145.

Around here, if we got to choose our own numbers most of the guys would be fighting over 69.

Sid
    I Make Things Go

Quote Originally Posted by Kieth M. View Post

There are rare exceptions, wherein a parent can pass his/her badge number along to a son/daughter, if the parent has promoted upwards. That used to mean that a dad who was a policeman, could get his son to wear his policeman badge, while all his classmates were wearing police officer badges. That has since been been changed, where the department will get the badge company to create a new police officer badge, with the old policeman's badge number.

This is exactly what I was wondering about. In the event of honoring someone that has retired/passed on.

Senior Veteran
    Nobody in VT uses badge numbers. We are issued radio callsigns that in my agency changes as you move up in rank/senority.
    "My give a damn's busted"

Forum Member
    Our badge numbers are assigned, and after we retire they are recycled. The only time they change is upon promotion; officers' badge numbers are 100s, 200s, 300s... randomly assigned. It has nothing to do with the radio call sign, since those are based on your unit type and area of assignment. Upon promotion to sergeant, the first number becomes a 4 and the last two stay the same (unless another sergeant already has that number). When you get promoted higher than sergeant, the first number becomes a 9. The chief is always 999.

For example, officer #113 (which is a retired number) gets promoted to sergeant and his badge number becomes #413. When he makes Lt and then Commander it gets changed again to #913. If he becomes Chief, it is #999.

Forum Member

Badges are assinged on hire 100-199. 60's belong to CSo's, 70's to reserves, ther rest are keeped throughout tenure at dept. only change is cheif - 100. Numbers only retired due to death, the rest are recycled since we only go 100-199. badge # is on badge(new as of my hire class), and is also call sign for radio.

DPD
    My department uses the year you graduated from the academy, and then your placement within your class. So if you were in the first class of 2007, and your were number one in academics etc, you'd be 07001. It then goes on like that for all the next academy classes...so if you were in the academy later in the year you could be 07035 etc etc.

Forum Member
    badge number is different than employee id for us. I got the badge number of an officer that had just quit.

Forum Member
    Assigned in numerical order according to date of hire. A badge number is never reused after it has been assigned. If you quit and come back 10 years later, you still get your old number. Badge numbers are on our badges. They are aslo a good indicator of seniority.

Forum Member
    My department is so large, they just grab one and give it to you. A deputy out of my class has badge number 6, mine is 1960. The numbers don't mean much really, they are just kind of like serial numbers more I guess.
    Carpe Noctem

L.S.U. FAN (atic)
    Quote Originally Posted by SlowDownThere View Post
    I requested 666, but it was taken.
    By the head of your I.A.D. no doubt.
    Sleeping Giant. They're not fat and happy anymore. They are hungry and increasingly angry. That is not a good recipe for a "Puppies and Rainbows America".

Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last