Forum Member

Free Vest, "National We Care Foundation"

Has anyone used the "National We Care Foundation"? They give smaller Departments Deputies and Officers Vest (Safariland G Zero Armorwear). The way it works you send a letter into the foundation and they Draw an Officer or Deputy a day, or every couple days. If your drawn your given a free bulletproof vest.

I sent a letter in about three months ago and I got a letter about a month ago saying I was chosen to receive a vest. I got my vest today and it looks really nice. The sides on the vest are even adjustable where I was able to make it smaller so it fit better. I was also able to pick what color of vest I wanted. From what I was told by my sheriff the way the program is setup once you leave your agency you take the vest with you, its yours.

If anyone is interested in this program drop me a note and I'll give you their contact information. Also with this has anyone else used this program before or this type of vest? If you have are there any minuses to this vest?
    Some people were just dropped on their heads as children more than the rest of us!

Forum Member

Vest

I sent my letter in about 4-5 months ago and received my letter from the foundation about 2 weeks ago awarding me the new safariland vest as well.

Now I am just waiting on the vest to get here after I mailed my paperwork directly to safariland in CA.

Definately a program more officers need to sign up for. GOOD LUCK!!

http://www.wecarefoundation.org/

Forum Member
    The US Dept of Justice (I think) will pay half of a vest if it's purchased through a department. We get all ours that way. It saves us a LOT of money and makes it so we don't have to compromise on our body armor.

I can give you more info if you need it.
    "Say hal-lo to my leetle frahnd!"

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gene L View Post
    The US Dept of Justice (I think) will pay half of a vest if it's purchased through a department. We get all ours that way. It saves us a LOT of money and makes it so we don't have to compromise on our body armor.

I can give you more info if you need it.
    Can you share that info? I'll need to buy one in a few week here. Thanks!
    I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

Douglas Adams

Forum Member
    Well, it's a grant and your department head has to apply for it. It's a renewable grant from the DOJ...here's the website that gives more info.

try this instead: http://www.ojp.usdoj.gov/bvpbasi/home.html
    Last edited by Gene L; 07-30-2007 at 12:57 PM.
    "Say hal-lo to my leetle frahnd!"

Forum Member
    Has anyone applied with the National WE CARE foundation and NOT gotten a vest? I'm sure they have. I sent in my request letter last week because I'm in bad need of a vest and my dept. Don't or wont provide them.
    "Justice will only be achieved when those who are not injured by crime are as indignant as those who are"
    King Solomon, 10th century BC

Forum Member
    I have had my vest about a month now. It's really good, I like it. The shoulder and underarm Velcro straps are adjustable. I don't mean like the old traditional sewn on in the back ones you can adjust them. The only thing I'm working on getting use to is the shoulder area on the front. Whenever I put my arms together or have to reach across the vest is a little too bulky in that area. Other than that the typical hot summer sweating, but you can remove everything and clean them easily. What does everyone else think so far of their vest they have gotten for free from this organization?
    Some people were just dropped on their heads as children more than the rest of us!

Deputy Sheriff
    I'm glad I read this. I was planning on buying a vest very soon. I am going to apply here first.
    Prov 17:17 A friend loveth at all times, and a brother is born for adversity.

Forum Member

National we care foundation????

Is this program still active? The link seems to be dead.

I am a reservist, and have to purchase my own vest. If someone out there knows a good place to buy one (a level IIIa), please let me know.

Thanks

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by scarney View Post
    Is this program still active? The link seems to be dead.
    Works for me, otherwise just search for it in Yahoo. Worked like that also!