View Poll Results: What does "unmarked car" mean to you?

Voters
56. You may not vote on this poll
  • Regular police-package car w/ minimal badging, and tons of lights

29 51.79%
  • Non-police type car, with tiny little light

8 14.29%
  • Non-police type car, with tons of lights

11 19.64%
  • Totally non-police car, no lights, undercover driver.

8 14.29%
    Forum Member

What does "Unmarked Car" mean to you?

The thread about not pulling over for an unmarked car made me realize that a large contributing factor to the disagreement over the issue is probably a difference in one's definition of "unmarked car".

Is it a police Crown Vic (or Impala, or whatever your agency uses), with a small "POLICE" sticker, and a ton of lights all over the place?

Is it a non-police car with a 2" diameter rotating light on the dash, driven by a fully-uniformed officer?

Is it a completely undercover car, driven by a dirtbag-looking member of the local anti-drug team?

To me and my agency, our "unmarked" car has our agency badge on the drivers side only, and is loaded with lights. (Two each red/blue flashers in the grille, two each red/blue flashers on the dash, a line of red/blue LEDs across the whole top of the windshield, corner strobes, and headlight wig-wag). There's no mistaking it, and no excuse for not pulling over for it.

deputyryan
    In my agency if the car does not have a lightbar on the top but has markings on the side it is still a marked car. We just call them slick tops. Anything without markings on the side that identify it as a Sheriff's Vehicle is an unmarked car.

Forum Member
    Unmarked to me means no insignia on the vehicle.

Forum Member
    Southern Kalifornia (Peoples' Republic of)
    Quote Originally Posted by deputyryan View Post
    In my agency if the car does not have a lightbar on the top but has markings on the side it is still a marked car. We just call them slick tops. Anything without markings on the side that identify it as a Sheriff's Vehicle is an unmarked car.
    +1

Unmarked simply means, to me, a 'slick' 'ghost' or 'plain-wrap' version of a common patrol vehicle. An all blue Crown Vic, for example.

Otherwise we're talking about UNDERCOVER as opposed to UNMARKED. Big difference, IMHO. Undercover cars are non-police, non-visible lights, radios, insignia, usually limo-tinted, etc.

EDJ
    "It's a game of cat and mouse. It's a game of hide and seek. Albeit games with deadly consequences. Like most games-the better you know the rules, the more likely you are to win."

Forum Member

Around here, an unmarked is a CVPI, usually dark colored, with interior light package and sirens, with or without a push-bar. To anyone but the most casual observer, these cars are definately squads.

A non typical car (ie. sometimes our detectives, surveillance, etc.) are referred to as undercover or UC cars.
    Nobody ever wants to have to fight, but its a darn good idea for someone to know how.

Forum Member

In our dept,we 3 unmarked units.One black CV with a whole crap load of lights in and on it,and 2 trucks.THe Sheriff drives on of the trucks,the other is driven by the jail administrator.The SHeriff is only one that does not wear a uniform though,but he makes very few stops.
    FILL YOUR HANDS!!!

The .40 Dog Whisperer
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigg Dogg View Post
    In our dept,we 3 unmarked units.One black CV with a whole crap load of lights in and on it,and 2 trucks.THe Sheriff drives on of the trucks,the other is driven by the jail administrator.The SHeriff is only one that does not wear a uniform though,but he makes very few stops.
    I should hope not. If someone pulled me over using interior lights in a slicktop, and got out without a uniform on, I'd drive off again. And call in on him, of course.
    If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

---Jack Handey

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by School Cop View Post
    I should hope not. If someone pulled me over using interior lights in a slicktop, and got out without a uniform on, I'd drive off again. And call in on him, of course.
    That has happened also.He has a readio in that truck,and we get informed of it pretty quick.The person that decides to take off figures it out pretty quick also.
    FILL YOUR HANDS!!!

Forum Member

Police type vehicle (any color), no lights or markings, assigned to criminal division like burglary, auto theft etc...
    What catagory would that go under?