Forum Member

NYPD Academy Tests

what I want to know is how are the tests that we have to pass in the academy? No one ever spoke about how the tests are, or how many test you have to pass in order to graduate. I am planning on going in the July 9th academy and iam curious how difficult these test are that everyonemust pass. I also want to know how much material is covered and how long is the average study time.

Fort Jah's Finest
    i just graduated the academy last week...you have 5 major academic tests in the academy...you have the first, second & third trimester exams covering different aspects of law, sociology etc...then you have the Final Exam a.k.a. Patrol Guide Test (that's an open book exam so don't worry) and the Justification test...the passing mark for the trimesters & patrol guide exams is a 75, you must get a 100 for the Justification test (its easy & common sense from the Use of Force procedure from the patrol guide (they'll go it over a whole bunch of time before the test anyways)

For the gym, you'll need to pass the JST with a time of 3:32, and instead of a 6 ft. fence you'll be going over a 6 ft. wall (a lotta ppl are gonna struggle with that wall, trust me), and you'll need to pass the 1.5 mile run with a time of 14:21 (we did ours along the FDR Drive bike/jog path

Just study the material in the Student Guides, all what you need is in there. I gave myself 7-9 hours on & off to study before a trimester test...in the end i averaged a 90 in academics...Oh, and GO TO TUTORING!!! they cover everything or at least up to what chapter everybody's generally at....the tutoring is not one-on-one, its a classroom full of recruits & an instructor going over different topics & you asking him/her questions on anything else that's being covered...

it sounds like a lot but you'll be fine...if i can do it anybody can...good luck!!

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BklynsFinest347 View Post
    i just graduated the academy last week...you have 5 major academic tests in the academy...you have the first, second & third trimester exams covering different aspects of law, sociology etc...then you have the Final Exam a.k.a. Patrol Guide Test (that's an open book exam so don't worry) and the Justification test...the passing mark for the trimesters & patrol guide exams is a 75, you must get a 100 for the Justification test (its easy & common sense from the Use of Force procedure from the patrol guide (they'll go it over a whole bunch of time before the test anyways)

For the gym, you'll need to pass the JST with a time of 3:32, and instead of a 6 ft. fence you'll be going over a 6 ft. wall (a lotta ppl are gonna struggle with that wall, trust me), and you'll need to pass the 1.5 mile run with a time of 14:21 (we did ours along the FDR Drive bike/jog path

Just study the material in the Student Guides, all what you need is in there. I gave myself 7-9 hours on & off to study before a trimester test...in the end i averaged a 90 in academics...Oh, and GO TO TUTORING!!! they cover everything or at least up to what chapter everybody's generally at....the tutoring is not one-on-one, its a classroom full of recruits & an instructor going over different topics & you asking him/her questions on anything else that's being covered...

it sounds like a lot but you'll be fine...if i can do it anybody can...good luck!!
    Congrats on graduating, Hopefully the NYPD will fix it's salary.
    "Why you harassing me?"

Fort Jah's Finest
    Quote Originally Posted by John2008 View Post
    Congrats on graduating, Hopefully the NYPD will fix it's salary.
    thanks, i hope they fix it too. i was struggling to buy my off-duty Glcok 26 today

Forum Member
    thanks, i hope they fix it too. i was struggling to buy my off-duty Glcok 26 today
    shoot they better, just because of the salary I'm trying to avoid the NYPD, I taking the test for NCPD,SCPD,NYSP,PASP,MTA Police. if I don't here from any of them I guess I'll go after the NYPD. NYPD is overworked and underpaid.
    "Why you harassing me?"

Forum Member

thanx for the advice. i hope its easier then it sounds..

Fort Jah's Finest
    Quote Originally Posted by Vincent View Post
    thanx for the advice. i hope its easier then it sounds..
    trust me, its not gonna come easy...you're gonna have your trials & tribulations for the next 6 months

Forum Member

trust me, its not gonna come easy...you're gonna have your trials & tribulations for the next 6 months
    well I know its not gonna be easy but I am just hoping its not as difficult as it seems. I am sure their are a lot of ways for everyone to get through the academy since their hiring rates arent so high. I guess as time goes on everything will fall into place.

Forum Member

Wow the NYPD 1.5 has to be covered in 14:21 secs? damn we here in westchester county had to do ours in 12:35 secs

Fort Jah's Finest
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayc6018 View Post
    Wow the NYPD 1.5 has to be covered in 14:21 secs? damn we here in westchester county had to do ours in 12:35 secs
    i did my 1.5 run in 12:15 easy

Forum Member

i did my 1.5 run in 12:15 easy
    besides the physical aspect of the academy, how is the school work? And they said the first 3 months is gonna be horrible but after that it becomes fun because your doing more hands on training instead of class room material.

Fort Jah's Finest
    Quote Originally Posted by Vincent View Post
    besides the physical aspect of the academy, how is the school work? And they said the first 3 months is gonna be horrible but after that it becomes fun because your doing more hands on training instead of class room material.
    its generally true, you'll see though

Forum Member

its generally true, you'll see though
    Can anyone explain how the test in the Academy are? Are they multiple choice, how many questions, whats the average study time for each test. And when does the Academy start getting fun and realistic? I heard after the 1/2 way point it begins to get better because it becomes more hands on and your doing things that your gonna be doing on the streets. Any information about this would be helpful because their are a lot of people that would LOVE to know the answers to these questions.

Forum Member

hey bklynsfines347......congratulation on ur success.your info is very helpfull.can u plz tell me wat is the format of the exams....multiple or essay type?
    do lot of people drop outta the academy?
    how was the jst and other physical training part?
    and also plz give me little more detail about the academyz instructors and theirs expectation from the recruits.
    thanks in advance for any reply
    wish u all the best and be safe in the street.
    thanks

Forum Member
    3-4months of solid work, not much of a social life unless you spread the work out right

personally I'm not much of a sit down and study every night guy, always was last minute.. still was in the academy kinda but just did it right

I'd have a nice breakfast before work everyday, a COFFEE, and pay real close attention in class.. then each chapter we covered they said go home and read it, I'd just bang out notecards on all the important stuff instead

about 2 weeks before each test, on the train rides to/from work.. I'd just study up like a madman

wound up with a 94.5 avg doing it that way

PS - acronyms & charts are your friend, don't be afraid to create your own either
    "There's only two kinds of people who walk slow in this city... Us and them."

Glock 26
    Glock 19
    HK 45

Forum Member

Thanks for the precious tips.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by madcat816 View Post
    3-4months of solid work, not much of a social life unless you spread the work out right

personally I'm not much of a sit down and study every night guy, always was last minute.. still was in the academy kinda but just did it right

I'd have a nice breakfast before work everyday, a COFFEE, and pay real close attention in class.. then each chapter we covered they said go home and read it, I'd just bang out notecards on all the important stuff instead

about 2 weeks before each test, on the train rides to/from work.. I'd just study up like a madman

wound up with a 94.5 avg doing it that way

PS - acronyms & charts are your friend, don't be afraid to create your own either
    Are you a PO in NYC?