Page 1 of 2 12 Last
    Forum Member

How visible do you have to be for running radar

Just like the subject says.. How visible do you have to be as an officer (in car or out of car) while you run radar checking speeds?

Do you have to give a driver a reasonable amount of time to see you and correct their speed?

I have seen it both ways (depending on the agency) where officers will sit in the middle of the interstate and run radar to a few places here in town that the local police like to sit at where they are fairly obscure to see them.

Is the fact that as an officer you were "hiding" while running radar a valid defense if someone decides to contest a ticket?

Sorry if this topic has been beaten to death. I did try searching for an answer but didnt find one that fit the best. Thanks

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaguar57 View Post

Is the fact that as an officer you were "hiding" while running radar a valid defense if someone decides to contest a ticket?
    Sure. Go tell the judge you were speeding and the meanie old policeman didn't give you a chance to see him and slow down before he stopped you. I think the judge will be very understanding

Thanks Mr. Obvious, you're a lifesaver.

.. it would only be on a agency policy basis but for the most part hiding and trying to catch you is the idea so I have not heard of any kind of reasonable chance to stop already breaking the law rules though

Aged like a fine wine

How visible do you have to be for running radar

Don't have to be visible at all............
    "We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm" -George Orwell

"It's 106 miles to Chicago, we've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark, and we're wearing diapers." - Blues Brothers

FIR NA DLI "MEN OF LAW"

You can hide or you can sit right out in the open you'll still write as many or few tickets as you want. When officers hide people assume that it's a speed trap but if you're not speeding there is no trap. It then becomes an officer sitting idle waiting for a call saving the tax payers money on fuel.
    "Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything!"-Wyatt Earp

"You never know when crazy will show up!"-Irishdep

jakflak
    Just like the subject says.. How visible do you have to be as an officer (in car or out of car) while you run radar checking speeds?
    Not at all visible. When they invent a cloaking device, I'll be first in line to buy one.

Do you have to give a driver a reasonable amount of time to see you and correct their speed?
    No. They're supposed to be driving the speed limit anyway.

No.

Forum Member
    Please dont think I am trying to justify speeding or that I received a ticket for speed and I am trying to get out of it. Im just trying to understand the aspects on how different officers/agencies conduct their radar operations since I have seen different of examples of both techniques.

Thanks for your answers so far.

Senior Veteran

Unless it has changed, California requires that the prima facie speed limit is justified by an engineering and traffic survey conducted within seven years prior to the date of the alleged violation, and enforcement of the speed limit involves the use of radar or any other electronic device that measures the speed of moving objects. I believe that it is still seven years with one exception.
    Retired

Retired Sergeant - CHP
    You have to be clear enough for the radar/lidar beam to do its work without disturbance from bushes, tree limbs, parked cars, telephone poles, etc.

All-in-all it is relatively difficult for an officer to completely hide from traffic to perform the duty. You may not be able to see him, but s/he can see you.

Also, traffic going in the opposite direction can usually see the officer; ergo, the officer is not hiding.
    Be courteous to all, but intimate with few, and let those few be well tried before you give them your confidence!

[George Washington (1732 - 1799)]

Forum Member
    Heck you won't see me. My car is parked out of view and i run laser outside of my car. All you might see of me is my head as i peek around a building. I know it seems like alot of trouble, but i love the look of suprise when you pull behind them.
    The Republicans need to shrug off this Christian Coalition noose it has placed around its own neck and recognize the fact that, though they may not realize it, the majority of Americans are actually quite libertarian in their philosophy. They also need to learn to fight once in a while. What a bunch of wimps.
    -Neal Boortz

Deputy Sheriff

I have seen it both ways (depending on the agency) where officers will sit in the middle of the interstate and run radar to a few places here in town that the local police like to sit at where they are fairly obscure to see them.

Sorry if this topic has been beaten to death. I did try searching for an answer but didnt find one that fit the best. Thanks

I don't have to be visible at all. In fact I prefer to be totally invisible or hidden when I run radar. If another squad is in the area and I am hiding in a new spot I will send him a message to drive by my location. I will not tell him where I am at and I will see if he can locate me. If he drives by without seeing me then I know I did well.

I will not give anyone advanced warning when running radar. My goal is for them not to see me until I turn on the lightbar. One of the reasons I run radar is to catch drunk drivers. When I get ready to stop a speeding car I will also look for additional probable cause to put in the report so I will follow and watch the car for any other reasons to stop.

An officer "hiding" is a really bad reason to try and use in court to get off a ticket. I wouldn't even consider it because it simply won't fly.
    Prov 17:17 A friend loveth at all times, and a brother is born for adversity.

TO PROTECT AND SWERVE
    i dont understand the question i guess, what do you think speed limit signs are for , that is your warning. a ticket my follow if you do not obsereve.

Omnipotent Stomper
    "Up periscope"... We do enforcement via aircraft too. Plane flies so high it can't be seen. Answer is, obey the speed limit, and if you see someone running radar, he's not really running radar. He's trying to slow people down. There is a difference. In construction zones, we sit plainly visible to slow people down for the safety of the workers, and normally will only stop a violator that is going at a pretty good speed and does not slow down. Sometimes, for the safety of workers, it's better to be seen. There are other times when we run out of DOT trucks, when at a real problem area, and for enforcement.
    As far as "rights" are concerned; I look at them this way... I don't tell you what church to go to, and you don't tell me what kind of firearm I can own...

Forum Member
    State laws vary. In mine, you have to be visible for 500 feet.
    "Say hal-lo to my leetle frahnd!"

This Can't Be!
    A red house in a red county in a red state in a red country
    We had a cloaking device.
    The All New
    BBQ and Goldfish Pond Club
    Sully - IAM Rand - JasperST - L1 - The Tick - EmmaPeel - Columbus - LA Dep - SgtSlaughter - OneAdam12 - Retired96 - Iowa #1603
    - M1Garand

(any BBQ and Goldfish Pond member may nominate another user for membership but just remember ..... this ain't no weenie roast!)

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by 1042 Trooper View Post
    We had a cloaking device.
    LOL...I had a woman tell me once that she heard if they couldn't see the officer running radar, it fell under entrapment. That one's right up there with if the troopers not wearing his hat, the ticket will be dismissed.

Forum Member

hiding

My favorite is using my trusty lawn chair with the hand held laser under an overpass. My chase cars are on a curve in the roadway so the unsuspecting motorist can't see them until it's too late. I've been thinking about building a tree stand in the wooded median to shoot laser from maybe wear some camo.

Former Deputy Sheriff

In Ga it's 500 (night or day) feet for ALL locals.
    A state trooper can hide in a tree if he wants to.

This Can't Be!
    A red house in a red county in a red state in a red country
    Quote Originally Posted by JonMcD1980 View Post
    LOL...I had a woman tell me once that she heard if they couldn't see the officer running radar, it fell under entrapment. That one's right up there with if the troopers not wearing his hat, the ticket will be dismissed.
    Or have you heard,
    "If you stopped in the median, you can't write me!"
    "You crossed the median. You can't do that"
    "You have no authority here. Only the federal government does."
    "You have to let me see it."
    "You have to give me a speedometer check first."
    "I'm from *insert state of choice* and you can't write me."

A world full of lawyers. And some even have law degrees too!
    The All New
    BBQ and Goldfish Pond Club
    Sully - IAM Rand - JasperST - L1 - The Tick - EmmaPeel - Columbus - LA Dep - SgtSlaughter - OneAdam12 - Retired96 - Iowa #1603
    - M1Garand

(any BBQ and Goldfish Pond member may nominate another user for membership but just remember ..... this ain't no weenie roast!)

Forum Member
    I would sit along side the roadway (major US Highway or Interstate that had some areas it was safe to pull off on the shoulder) monitoring traffic with folks zipping past me like they didn't even see me....or if they did not bothering to slow down. I would get this line once they were stopped:

"You can't write me because you didn't have your headlights/parking lights on."

Forum Member

Funniest thing Ive heard in awhile

We dont have to be visible at all for speeding violators. I cant believe people think they have some kind of right to be able to see an officer in plain view. The only requirement we have is to be able to have a valid tracking history of the violator vehicle. Wheter or not you see us is not any kind of defense. The problem is too many speeders are so used to officer descretion where the officers notice how a speeder slows down upon seeing them and not pulling them over because they finally slow down. Doesnt mean we "have" to though. Dont worry you aren't the only speeder out there that thinks that way. I hear it all the time in court.
    "Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. The MARINES don't have that problem." ....Ronald Reagan

Forum Member

Pity Poor Speed Violators

Quote Originally Posted by NY Troop View Post
    My favorite is using my trusty lawn chair with the hand held laser under an overpass. My chase cars are on a curve in the roadway so the unsuspecting motorist can't see them until it's too late. I've been thinking about building a tree stand in the wooded median to shoot laser from maybe wear some camo.
    Dude, thats hallarious. Thanks, I needed a good laugh. The funniest thing Ive seen the troopers do is use the Lidar laser and dress up like highway surveyors with chase cars on stand by, thats classic too.
    "Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. The MARINES don't have that problem." ....Ronald Reagan

Corporal

You are absolutely right. This subject has had the crap beat out of it. There are no rules for running radar/lidar other than these.

The officer must be certified, and the radar/lazer unit must be certified/calibrated.

We can hide in the median/behind trees/behind billboards/behind the bushes. We can also put our trunks up for concealment or use other vehicles to obstruct your view of us. We can hide off the roadway and then step out into the lanes of traffic and flag you over. We can park on the shoulder in the middle of the night with our lights off and stop you. The point is, as long as we're not breaking the law, we can do it. We can also write you for 1 mph over or 20 mph over. It doesnt matter if we are concealed or not, there are plenty of speeders in all situations. I have sat at night clearly visible and with my headlights on and nailed 15-20 mph over drivers. I have sat in broad daylight right off the roadway and got the same results as when I hide in the woods. I suggest you look up the many other threads where this topic has been covered. That way you'll get the answer to your questions without all the sarcasm.

Corporal
    Quote Originally Posted by JonMcD1980 View Post
    Pssssssssssst. Dont say the ENTRAPMENT word.

Forum Member
    The reason in Georgia is to prevent speed traps. "Radar Permits" are issued by the state, and each section of road the permit is issued for has to meet certain standards (and they're checked by Engineers.) I think you can't run radar on a hill with a 7% grade, or lots of other regulations.

The GSP can, but local authorities can not.

I'm sure I'm not the majority opinion here, but I really don't like running these dress up scams to run radar. I read somewhere or saw on TV about radar running guys dressing like Uncle Sam.

The point I think is to get people to slow down, not to write tickets. Writing tickets is necessary, but to me, it's an adjunct to peforming other duties. We have dedicated traffic folks, and they write a handfull, visible from 500 feet, and following all the other regulations.

If I could get folks to drive reasonbly, I wouldn't care if my guys never wrote a ticket. The County treasury would raise hell, but we don't work for the County treasury. I would love to slow down the number of auto accidents and deaths. If writing tickets does it, fine.

Also, in GA there's a "graduated drivers license program." Which is good. You're 18 and going over a certain speed, like 25 over, (I think) and your license re gone.
    Last edited by Gene L; 07-03-2007 at 08:57 PM.
    "Say hal-lo to my leetle frahnd!"

Page 1 of 2 12 Last