Forum Member

Question Flaking Boot Polish

Just was trying to get some insight on how to stop the cracking/flaking of my Kiwi Boot Polish. I have a line across my toe where my boot folds. I am not sure if there is something out there that I can put on top of the polish or if I need to add some wax or something to that effect. If anyone has information on tricks/product that helps stop this a little bit, that would be awesome.

Thanks in advance.
    TheDesire
    Desire. Dedication. Dicipline.

Forum Member
    Are you bulling the boots? (UK term for repeated spit and polishcoupled with heating/burning the polish onto the boot in order to create a high gloiss finish)

If you are, then by very nature of that it will eventually flake, as you are creating a sealed hardened "cap" of high gloss polish.

If you can avoid bulling then do so, unless you are on parade of course.

I maintain 2 x pairs of Danner Arcadia's with Kiwi standard black Polish, both pairs are now 4 years old. They have natural creases across the toe areas, but have never been bulled and there has never been any cracking or flaking.

Forum Member
    They are new boots. No, I did not do any bulling to them. They did have a great polish. But then flaked. I am not sure if it is because they are new or what. I was told to bull the boots to help the polish soak into the leather and maybe create a better sticking polish.

Thanks for the help. I will keep working on them.
    TheDesire

I've had a problem with polish flaking but it was only because I had it so thick near where the boot would flex. I've also heard certain types of polish don't work well with certain leather. I had a pair of Bates that the Kiwi would flake on. I use the same Kiwi(Parade Gloss) on my Danner's and no problems whatsoever...

When you buy new boots you should strip them first before you apply any kiwi. This takes off the factory "fake"shine stuff and lets you get the kiwi directly in the leather.

Forum Member
    Strip them how? Rubbing alcohol?

I will keep trying to find the answer that works.
    TheDesire

Forum Member
    I use nail polish remover to remove the factory wax. I have one of the Kiwi boot care kits with the small round brush and the larger horse hair brush. I use the small brush and pile a bunch of wax right into the leather and buff it out with the large brush. When you get a dull shine from just doing that you know you have a decent base coat to work with. After you get your dull shine, use just water, kiwi, and cotten and rub the wax in to get a high gloss shine. I personally have never had any luck with Parade Gloss. I find that the silicone in the wax makes it flake faster. If you decide to use parade gloss just apply one coat after you have a nice shine to finish it off.
    All it takes for evil to succeed is for good men to stand by and do nothing.

You can use mineral spirts... seems to work best for me. You can buy at local hardware store.

Dang, I haven't spit-shined boots since my snuffy days in the Corps!

And then I got Corfam's.

Use leather luster, but use it right. Otherwise you'll **** up your boot.
    U.S. Coast Guard R since 2006.
    Petty Officer Third Class (E-4)

Forum Member
    Are you in the academy? That's the only time I used the "real" Kiwi polish. Kiwi makes this liquid stuff that has a sponge applicator built in to the bottle. I find this works great for getting a good-looking shine (good enough for anything but a DI/TAC to pick on), the only downside being that you have to apply it pretty much every day.
    -Mike
    The above comments reflect the personal, off-the-record, unofficial opinions of the individual posting them only, and in no way, shape, or form should be taken to indicate any particular opinion, policy, or belief by the poster's or any other agency, governmental entity, organization, or corporation. Thank you and have a nice day.

Doc's right, another thing you may consider is polishing the tip of the boot only at the beginning. When you've broken them in and the boot has it's creases formed to your gait, then you can start polishing the entire boot. I never polish the whole boot to the degree of shine that I put on the tips though. Kiwi is the best in my book, cotton swabs or balls and water and you got mirrors on the tips of your boots.

mineral spirits to strip the original polish? don't that ruin or dry out the leather? i used saddle soap 3 separate times to get it clean before applying my first coat of polish.

Leather Luster all the way!

Gives a high gloss Class-A like shine and it has yet to flake or fade after 6 months. Clean up's simple, windex and a paper towell and buff up again with a soft cloth.

It actually protects the boot.
    "The world is a dangerous place; not because of those who do evil, but because of the good men that do nothing."
    -A. Einstein

“As a man thinks in his heart, so he is.”
    -(Proverbs 23:7)

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cpratt1999 View Post
    Leather Luster all the way!

Gives a high gloss Class-A like shine and it has yet to flake or fade after 6 months. Clean up's simple, windex and a paper towell and buff up again with a soft cloth.

It actually protects the boot.

I agree. I wouldnt use anything else

What we did in OCS was to use liquid floor wax after shining them really well. It protected the toe from the sun.

LIquid floor wax is hard to find anymore. But it sure did a great job on boots. Put it on thinly with a cotton ball, let it dry, brilliant shine.

You have to strip them every so often. We used hot water. Mineral spirits, I'm afraid, might take some dye out.
    "Say hal-lo to my leetle frahnd!"

I have two pairs of Danner 8" Strikers I keep a pretty good shine on (Academy quality). I too noticed the cracking of the polish where the folds are. I stay away from those areas on my boots with the polish.

Another problem I have seen is if the can of polish is pretty old, the polish will flake off the boots when there is any kind of movement in the leather - like flexing your toes up into the boot. I am pretty sure the older the can gets, the drier the polish gets. The boots still shine up real nice but will not set into the leather. If you are having problems, strip your boot like others have said and start on them with a brand new can of polish.

Thanks for the leather luster tip. WIll have to look into that.

neutral polish on top of the kiwi, rub it in good and your all set

Forum Member
    I have been messing with my boots. We will see what works best. Thanks for the information.
    TheDesire