Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By dmchaney

Thread: Illinois Secretary of State Police

Forum Member

Illinois Secretary of State Police

Does anyone know anything about the IL Secretary of State Police? I was wondering exactly what an Investigator with the department does? Is the department hiring any time soon? Thanks.
    jalanzo likes this.

Forum Member

Worked with them quite a bit. They do have full police powers and sometimes work traffic. They deal alot with dealer licensing and registration/licensing issues. They are the agency responsible for inspecting and assigning VINs to vehicles. They also operate the state bomb squad. They do security at the state capital complex. Normally they work straight days/weekends off but it will depend on the detail and what they're doing. Not likely you'll see them working midnights.
    As far as salary they are not the same pay scale as the ISP. There was a move to have the starting salary the same but I don't know if that every materialized. The chart I saw, if it happened, only had comparable starting salary and after starting it was not the same scale.

Forum Member
    While we're at it, I'd be curious to know what a typical day for an Illinois Commerce Commission officer is like:
    http://www.icc.illinois.gov/
    I see them quite a bit near my workplace around the O'Hare area.

Declared job descriptions:
    Officer
    Police trainee

Those links suggest they're primarily trucking police but I've never seen them make any stops.

Forum Member

There's not that many ICC left. Several years ago those who could qualify were absorbed into the ISP. That only left less than a dozen who were kept to handle limited ICC specific enforcement duties. Second division enforcement (trucks) is handled primarily by the ISP. I don't know of them hiring any officers since they were merged with the ISP. Word was then when the officers remaining left then the ICC police would eventually go away.

Forum Member

ISPCAPT, Would you know if the IL Sec. of State Police hold the same requirements/preparation for employment as the ISP? Particularly the Academy. Is it the same academy for both Departments? Thanks.

Forum Member

I have seen one working as security at the local DMV in the Bloomington-Normal area.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by pliers View Post
    ISPCAPT, Would you know if the IL Sec. of State Police hold the same requirements/preparation for employment as the ISP? Particularly the Academy. Is it the same academy for both Departments? Thanks.
    The SOS Police have a different academy. They send their new hires to our academy but it's a different curriculum. They cover the courses required by the ILETSB but then they also cover courses which are specific to their duties.
    There aren't very many of them so they don't hire very often. Last time I saw their headcount they were authorized 150 sworn officers (who go by the title Investigator instead of Trooper) but they only had about 100. They've hired some since that time but then they've also lost some to retirement so I don't know what their current headcount is.

Forum Member
    Ok ISPCAPT, how about the Illinois State Fire Marshal? Does their investigative wing have police powers? I've seen their cars around and they have that 'squadcar feel'.

http://www.state.il.us/osfm/

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by broland View Post
    Ok ISPCAPT, how about the Illinois State Fire Marshal? Does their investigative wing have police powers? I've seen their cars around and they have that 'squadcar feel'.
    http://www.state.il.us/osfm/
    By statute granting them their authority they only have peace officer status while actually conducting investigations of arsons or explosions. Not all of them have that authority. It depends on their duties. If you search thru 20 ILCS, I believe the State Fire Marshal Act is something like 2910, it will be listed their specific duties and authority.
    As a side note, in 1993 I researched all the IL state agencies that had some investigative or LE type function where the agency had someone carrying a firearm. Came up with 113 agencies that had at least 1 person who had at least some authority to carry a firearm for whatever reason. The list was quite revealing. It showed the degree of political influence various agencies had to get some of their people the authority to carry a firearm, regardless of how, shall we say "imaginative" the reasoning. Would you believe Dept of Ag meat inspectors were authorized to carry a firearm? That one specifically was what got me researching the list. We had a case of a meat inspector going to a packing house, take off all his clothes and fire his gun into hanging meat. We never did figure out what he was trying to do. He quit when we started the case and he refused to answer questions about it. He only claimed he had a drinking problem and didn't know what he was doing. Then there were the numerous agencies who had personnel who were basically security guards at state facilities.

Forum Member

Thanks ISPCAPT for your input and answers.

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ISPCAPT View Post
    We had a case of a meat inspector going to a packing house, take off all his clothes and fire his gun into hanging meat. We never did figure out what he was trying to do. He quit when we started the case and he refused to answer questions about it. He only claimed he had a drinking problem and didn't know what he was doing.
    It's cold in those packing houses, right? Maybe he was suffering from hypothermia. His body temperature dropped, he paradoxically undressed and subconsciously fired his weapon in hope that he would be discovered.

Or drunk.

Forum Member

It's cold in those packing houses, right? Maybe he was suffering from hypothermia. His body temperature dropped, he paradoxically undressed and subconsciously fired his weapon in hope that he would be discovered.

Or drunk.
    Could be the first reason. But I'll vote for the second.

Forum Member

ISPCAPT,

I've always been interested in the little "niche" agencies and their political clout...Any chance you could provide a somewhat comprehensive list of all the State sanctioned firearms carrying agencies?

I figure most people at this stage are familiar with...
    Illinois State Police
    ICC Police
    CMS Police
    Secretary of State Police
    Various State University Police
    Conservation Police
    State Fire Marshal...

Do suprise us with some of the more "strange" agencies out there. Do the meat inspectors still carry?

Thanks.
    Christ, you know it ain't easy...

Forum Member

I no longer have the list as I'm retired and it is with my agency. Also, since I did the research in the early 90s the agencies may have changed since then.
    Some I remember were:
    Dept of Ag Meat Inspectors
    Dept of Revenue Agents
    Dept of Corrections Internal
    Attorney General's Investigators
    Quite a few state agencies had building security who were armed.
    Wish I still had that list. There were some from agencies that people probably had never heard of. If you read thru 20 ILCS it will list the various agencies and within there it will give the duties/responsibilities for some their people. Some will say something on the order of "will have full police authority while in the performance of their duties..."

Forum Member
    Here are a few:

Gaming agents, Illinois Office of the State's Attorneys Appellate Prosecutor
    Investigators, Department of Professional Regulation Controlled Substance Investigator.

Forum Member

Going off on a slight tangeant...

How many different City of Chicago agencies have armed personnel?

Chicago Police Dept...obviously
    Chicago Fire Dept...has a small number of Internal Affairs Investigators who are armed (deputized by Cook County Sheriff, I think)

Dept of Aviation Police Dept...unarmed, not sure if there are any armed folks with them at all
    Dept of Revenue Investigators...unarmed, although John Kass in the Trib used to write about one individual who blatantly carried a pearly grip revolver; City Hall wouldn't comment
    Aldermen...authorized to carry; not too many will discuss it publically

City Colleges Police/Security...from what I can tell, they are all off-duty cops
    Park District Security...again, if this still exists, off-duty cops, (although technically Park District is a separate unit of government from City)
    Office of Professional Standards Investigators...unarmed
    Inspector General Investigators...unarmed, as far as I know

Can anyone think of any others?
    Christ, you know it ain't easy...

Forum Member
    While we're at it, I'd be curious to know what a typical day for an Illinois Commerce Commission officer is like:
    http://www.icc.illinois.gov/
    I see them quite a bit near my workplace around the O'Hare area.

Declared job descriptions:
    Officer
    Police trainee

Those links suggest they're primarily trucking police but I've never seen them make any stops.
    See, I post that and then a week later, I see an ICC vehicle making a stop on a flatbed semi. The patrol vehicle was a marked brown Ford Explorer. The stop was on the far, far south side in alphabet town (130th and Avenue O).

F.N.G.

Secretary of State Police had a couple of people in the class at PTI that just started on June 24th.