Page 1 of 2 12 Last
    Forum Member

Do you like being a Police Officer?

Do you enjoy being a Police Officer? Why or why not? Do you ever wish you did something else with your life?

Thanks for any replies

Forum Member
    I've wanted to do this all of my life and after I recently got hired I am presently going through the academy. I can't really speak as well as the guys who have been on the road all their life, but I can't wait and I won't let anything take away the joy that I get from this job.
    The above comments reflect the personal, off-the-record, unofficial opinions of the individual posting them only, and in no way, shape, or form should be taken to indicate any particular opinion, policy, or belief by the poster's or any other agency, governmental entity, organization, or corporation. Thank you and have a nice day.

Forum Member

Retired now, but when I was asked if I liked being a cop, my typical response was, "Beats working for a living." I absolutely loved it. This was what I was meant to do with my life. My problem now is deciding what to do with the last half of it.

Forum Member
    I've wanted (and still want) to be many things. In other words, I've wanted to try out lots of careers. So far, I've trained for for four (teaching, EMS, accounting, law enforcement), and I've worked in three (haven't done/won't do accounting).

I've learned that some were for me while others weren't. I ended up not liking EMS although I enjoyed the classes. In teaching, I simply got tired of it. I was working on a master's in school administration when I left the profession after a few years, and I think I could enjoy admin. However, classroom instruction got old. I was trying to dabble in P.E. which I would probably have liked. Accounting wasn't for me. I don't like to sit that long although I love the idea of having a job with an office and desk. I just don't want to sit at it all day.

I was premed in college with my first degree. EMS made me tire of medical things so I chose not to follow through with that although some days I kick myself for not doing so. I've always wanted to go to law school for I know I'd be good at it. I possess many attributes (as I'm told) that would make me good with law, but I would not like litigating all the time.

I would also enjoy something in the naturalist field. Being a ranger somewhere would be nice as it combines my interest in natural science and history along with active roles such as law enforcement, fire, and moderate EMS.

Yes, I like police work. Patrol is neat. I'd like to be an SRO and an investigator. Those are two roles I would enjoy more. I like getting stuff in patrol that I can play out and investigate rather than forwarding, and I like dealing with juvenile and school related stuff.

Someday I'll find a mix of several of my interests.

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ArkansasFan24 View Post
    I've wanted (and still want) to be many things. In other words, I've wanted to try out lots of careers. So far, I've trained for for four (teaching, EMS, accounting, law enforcement), and I've worked in three (haven't done/won't do accounting).

I've learned that some were for me while others weren't. I ended up not liking EMS although I enjoyed the classes. In teaching, I simply got tired of it. I was working on a master's in school administration when I left the profession after a few years, and I think I could enjoy admin. However, classroom instruction got old. I was trying to dabble in P.E. which I would probably have liked. Accounting wasn't for me. I don't like to sit that long although I love the idea of having a job with an office and desk. I just don't want to sit at it all day.

I was premed in college with my first degree. EMS made me tire of medical things so I chose not to follow through with that although some days I kick myself for not doing so. I've always wanted to go to law school for I know I'd be good at it. I possess many attributes (as I'm told) that would make me good with law, but I would not like litigating all the time.

I would also enjoy something in the naturalist field. Being a ranger somewhere would be nice as it combines my interest in natural science and history along with active roles such as law enforcement, fire, and moderate EMS.

Yes, I like police work. Patrol is neat. I'd like to be an SRO and an investigator. Those are two roles I would enjoy more. I like getting stuff in patrol that I can play out and investigate rather than forwarding, and I like dealing with juvenile and school related stuff.

Someday I'll find a mix of several of my interests.

Technically, I wasn't ever intending to make a career of EMS or even work full-time, but I could so I stated it like it was a career, lol.

Forum Member

Yes, I like being a police officer. I have worked inner-city as a patrol officer, traffic officer, and detective. I am now working in the suburbs as a patrol officer/k9 officer. I can't think of another job that I would want to do!
    I enjoy working the road and since I have been in K9, I like it more than ever.

Forum Member

Everyone who is a cop pretty much likes it. Because its so much dedication, and you put yourself through so much to get it. Its not like working at a restaurant where you may work just to pay the bills. and you could get a new job the next day if you have a bad day, or your boss chews you a new one. I like working at Mcdonalds, but I hear burger king is hiring

PS- I LOVE BEING A COP

Forum Member

The best job I have ever had.

Forum Member

I love it.

Quote Originally Posted by nrneuha View Post
    The best job I have ever had.
    Exactly.

Not so wet behind the ear
    I couldn't imagine myself doing anything else. Really....I've done at lot in my short lifetime. Short order cook, mechanic, diesel mechanic, Marine, Soldier (medic), Civil Service, and now Police officer. If I let go, or had to resign I would forever be a depressed person.
    You have the right to remain silent, but apparently you lack the skill to exercise that right.

Forum Member
    Being a police officer is great!

I've been a soldier, IT guy complete with Microsoft Certification, and a security contractor. I've worked p/t as an armored car guard, carpenter, a 911 dispatcher, and volunteered as an EMT. The only job I didn't like was the computer gig. Too much sitting inside for me.

If something happened were I wasnt' a cop anymore I would go back to security contracting overseas. I'd have to be pretty hungry before I went back into the computer field, as there was way too much sitting and staring at a screen for me to handle.

Forum Member
    Being a peace officer is the best of two worlds for me. When I joined the department, I wanted to make enough money to finish my degree and become a teacher. 2 BA's and 1 MA later, I am still a deputy, as well as a teacher (FTO). I love this job, it is the best (and sometimes the worst) of all possible worlds. I get to drive fast, carry a gun, (ok, I said it!) and still teach youngsters the fundamentals of the world around them.
    Carpe Noctem

No, it's NOT a warning...

Best job in the world as far as I'm concerned. I love it!

Forum Member

Thanks for all the responses!

Keep them comming

Land Lubber

I really like what I do. Sometimes it is a bit difficult, but never one day do I ever regret my decissions.

"Retired"

Being a Cop?

Your question answers itself. One is or isn't a police officer and being something is a lot different from "working at a job." Most people who are unhappy in their careers only refer to them as something they do.
    "I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Black and white taxi
    Best gig in the world...you can't beat getting paid to kick *** and throw dirt bags in jail, it's fun. Of course like any job it has it's negatives, but I couldn't imagine doing anything else.
    It's better to be tried by twelve than carried by six...

Combat Veteran
    I only do it for the pay
    Marine Infantry - Taking out the trash one country at a time.

"You cannot exaggerate about the Marines. They are convinced to the point of arrogance, that they are the most ferocious fighters on earth- and the amusing thing about it is that they are."

"Freedom is not free, but the U.S. Marine Corps will pay most of your share."

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by futureCTcop View Post
    Do you enjoy being a Police Officer? Why or why not? Do you ever wish you did something else with your life?

Thanks for any replies

I'm a deputy, but was a police officer. (The differences are a whole lot, but I get your meaning.)

I love it. I have hated it, went thru priods where I got burned out, but it's my profession. I've done otehr things, and am qualified to teach on a college level, but that's pretty boring.

Being a cop is boring a lot of the time, but not always. If I had a death wish, I'd become a convenience store clerk. But there's enough stuff to keep me interested.

I'm too old to rumble any more, so now I have to pick my battles.

Forum Member

Like General Patton said (at least in the movie) "You won't have to someday say to your grandkids, Yeah, I was in the war. I shoveled s**t in Kansas."

We've seen things and done things that most people never see or do.

Best fricking job in the world. (Don't mind me I just got out of work and am into my adult beverage)

Deputy Sheriff
    Quote Originally Posted by futureCTcop View Post

Thanks for any replies
    I absolutely love this job and could not imagine doing anything else. I have worked patrol for over 11 years and I still look forward to going to work everyday.
    I like the work that goes along with it, domestics, homocides, traffic crash reports, traffic stops etc.
    My biggest frustration with the job is dealing with people who think we are lazy or we are apathetic simply because the call does not get handled in a manner in which they think is appropriate. People love to think this job is simple. A crime occurs and people go to jail. It's not that black and white. They think the law is a simple thing to understand. They expect us to take people to jail simply because of a story they give and if the person doesn't go to jail it is because we are lazy and we don't want to do our job.

There are a tremendous amount of misconceptions about this job but that could be a whole other thread.

Even with the frustration we encounter I would not want to do anything else. When I sign on in my driveway I am on duty and anything could happen. We have a backstage pass to the world that few people get to see.

If I had a physical disability or some other problem that would prevent me from doing this job I would try to get employed in some capacity with the St. Louis Cardinals organization.
    Prov 17:17 A friend loveth at all times, and a brother is born for adversity.

18C3V
    You have to find your niche and be happy with it. I'm on a full time SWAT team and love it. If I had to do this all over, I'd be a firefighter so I could be a guard bum at the same time!!!

Forum Member
    I'll second, thrid and fourth it..............i love it!!!

Forum Member
    It takes a special kind of person to do this job (see Sheep, Wolves and Sheepdogs by Charles Grennel).....
    We are responsible for what we do unless we are celebrities......

What had happend was!!!!
    I wouldn't want to do anything else. I like the freedom that the job gives me.

Page 1 of 2 12 Last