Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By JPR
  • 1 Post By SHU
  • 1 Post By Sierra259
  • 1 Post By SHU

Thread: Can A citizen own a Taser Gun In California?

JPR
    Forum Member

Can A citizen own a Taser Gun In California?

I could probably find the answer if I did enough research on the net but I was hoping a California LEO might be kind enough to save me some time. I've read some threads recently pertaining to the use of a firearmin for self defense in the home. All of them said to prepare to get arrested and spend thousands of dollars in legal fees if the event ever happens even if it is self defense. Some of the people stating this were LEOS so I have to consider this advice credible.

Although I believe I shouldn't have to feel threatened by my government for defending my life and the lives of my loved ones in my own house, I guess this is where we have gotten to in this country.

I have read that Taser guns can incapacitate a person virtually instantly. I am now considering obtaining one of these for home defense if my State will allow it. I guess I shouldn't even ask if it would be legal to carry one in public, but can a non-LEO even own one here in California?

America gave Obama the benefit of the doubt when they elected him. Obama is now giving America the doubt of the benefit of his governance......Change you can bereave in!..JPR

Forum Member
    Tasers are legal in CA. Here's a link you may be interested in:
    http://www.defenseproducts101.com/st...ary_page2.html

VIP Member - Diamond
    They are now legal in Cali....didn't used to be...I don't think they have the same "juice" as the ones used by LE though.
    Molly Weasley makes Chuck Norris eat his vegetables.

Forum Member
    Have you considered pepper spray? It has it's advantages over a taser.
    You can carry it concealed on you.
    There are many different manufactureers to chose.
    They come in smaller units.
    It'll be at least 1/10th the cost of the taser unit.
    It doesn't require as exact of an initial shot.
    Does it work? It comes in forms strong enough to drive off bears!

JPR
    Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SV Goodguy View Post
    Have you considered pepper spray? ............. It comes in forms strong enough to drive off bears!
    Yeah I agree that pepper spray is a powerfull weapon. When they first made it legal here, I got a small canister for my wife. I wanted to make sure that it wouldn't just enrage someone so I put a couple drops in one of my eyes to see what it was capable of doing.

The experience was quite excruciating. But what was better than the pain was that it took away my vision. My eye was watering so profusely I couldn't see out of it for a 1/2 hour or so. I therefore concluded that even if a person is drunk, drugged or crazy to the point of ignoring pain, you can still take out their vision.

I then gave it to my wife and told her if anyone messed with her, spray them in the eyes and leave. They won't be following.

I just ordered some of the bear spray (from UDAP). It's on it's way to me in the mail now.....They advertise a range of 30 feet plus it puts out a huge cloud and is much more potent than standard human spray. I bought it for my mountain place when I'm outside in the woods. I have read that it stops bears more reliably than most firearms, it lets the bear (cougar or other critter) live to see another day and teaches them to STAY AWAY FROM HUMANS so it helps the next poor guy who might have an encounter with them.

For inside the cabin I have an 870 " loaded for bear". I wouldn't want to use PS on a bear invader because of the close quarters nature of an encounter coupled with the possibility that a sprayed bear may have trouble finding his way back out. In addition, my doorway is the line that can't be crossed. If they come in they get the artillery. Sorry but I don't enter their caves so I believe it's fair.

For in-home human self defense, I have to assume the intruder is armed with a gun to be audacious enough to invade an inhabited dwelling. In that situation, I believe it is vital to make an instant stop so they can't shoot. That is why I have not considered it for home defense. I'm not saying PS wouldn't work, I'm just saying I don't have the confidence that it would prevent an armed assailant from shooting. A 45ACP to the chest I have confidence in and from what I've read, it sounds like a Taser may accomplish the same objective. I would welcome comments from anyone who has incapacitated someone with a Taser or PS to share their opinion as to the effectiveness they believe those weapons offer against an assailant who has a gun. PS is definitely cheaper than a Taser.
    lawandasan likes this.
    Jubilant Patriotic Republican

America gave Obama the benefit of the doubt when they elected him. Obama is now giving America the doubt of the benefit of his governance......Change you can bereave in!..JPR

Forum Member

tazer guns are damn expensive too. like $1000

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by JPR View Post
    Yeah I agree that pepper spray is a powerfull weapon. When they first made it legal here, I got a small canister for my wife. I wanted to make sure that it wouldn't just enrage someone so I put a couple drops in one of my eyes to see what it was capable of doing.

The experience was quite excruciating. But what was better than the pain was that it took away my vision. My eye was watering so profusely I couldn't see out of it for a 1/2 hour or so. I therefore concluded that even if a person is drunk, drugged or crazy to the point of ignoring pain, you can still take out their vision.

I then gave it to my wife and told her if anyone messed with her, spray them in the eyes and leave. They won't be following.

I just ordered some of the bear spray (from UDAP). It's on it's way to me in the mail now.....They advertise a range of 30 feet plus it puts out a huge cloud and is much more potent than standard human spray. I bought it for my mountain place when I'm outside in the woods. I have read that it stops bears more reliably than most firearms, it lets the bear (cougar or other critter) live to see another day and teaches them to STAY AWAY FROM HUMANS so it helps the next poor guy who might have an encounter with them.

For inside the cabin I have an 870 " loaded for bear". I wouldn't want to use PS on a bear invader because of the close quarters nature of an encounter coupled with the possibility that a sprayed bear may have trouble finding his way back out. In addition, my doorway is the line that can't be crossed. If they come in they get the artillery. Sorry but I don't enter their caves so I believe it's fair.

For in-home human self defense, I have to assume the intruder is armed with a gun to be audacious enough to invade an inhabited dwelling. In that situation, I believe it is vital to make an instant stop so they can't shoot. That is why I have not considered it for home defense. I'm not saying PS wouldn't work, I'm just saying I don't have the confidence that it would prevent an armed assailant from shooting. A 45ACP to the chest I have confidence in and from what I've read, it sounds like a Taser may accomplish the same objective. I would welcome comments from anyone who has incapacitated someone with a Taser or PS to share their opinion as to the effectiveness they believe those weapons offer against an assailant who has a gun. PS is definitely cheaper than a Taser.
    I certainly agree with the application of the .45. However, I'll give you some insight into the Spray vs Taser (from a light skinned individual, which does effect the effectiveness of spray) I've been hit with both and would prefer to be hit with the Taser 12 times before facing the OC spray again. The Taser is NOT a cure all nor a substitute for firearm when deadly force is required. It is not 100% effective but neither is OC/PS. In field application I would have to give the nod to the Taser over spray though as you can work through the spray (we had to run, box a dummy and handcuff someone immediately after being sprayed and though painful you can work through it w/limited vision) The Taser use generally gives you a few seconds to gain control of the subject/situation.
    Last edited by Manasseh33; 08-10-2014 at 07:08 AM.

Forum Member

Tasers are NOT $1000. You can purchase from Taser some very good low profile units. I have one in my car, along with other things. I keep it with me when training my K9 in the field, as we have coyotes etc. that like to day hello, and I'd rather stun than kill them if I can.

Nothing wrong with using it for self defense. It is not a be-all end-all, but can produce the required response. Just know that the darts are serialized and can be traced.
    Last edited by CCCSD; 08-10-2014 at 07:14 PM.

SHU
    Forum Member
    I wouldn't use a taser for home defense. A good one is quite expensive and lots of drawbacks in their use. If you tase someone and they fall and hit their head and die you are going to court as well. Get a 12 gauge pump shotgun.
    jdthor likes this.

Forum Member

Why a 12 gauge pump? Is it because the sound of it being racked produces instant immobilizing fear in an intruder???
    Tasers are an alternative to firearms if that's what someone wants. As with anything, no one thing is supreme.

Forum Member
    Tasers are legal in California, however there are places/events where its illegal to carry them (see 171b of the California penal code as an example). You should also be advised that once the "ride" is over, the subject is physically able to continue his/her attack. Subjects are not knocked out, the thought of another "ride" is normally what gains the subject's compliance.

Stay safe.

Forum Member

Don't bring a taser to a gun fight. Period.

If expecting a lethal threat, bring a lethal defensive tool to the table.
    lawandasan likes this.

Forum Member

The OP specifically asked about tasers and legality.

SHU
    Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CCCSD View Post
    Why a 12 gauge pump? Is it because the sound of it being racked produces instant immobilizing fear in an intruder???
    Tasers are an alternative to firearms if that's what someone wants. As with anything, no one thing is supreme.
    No. I told him to buy a pump because they are simple, reliable and very effective. I suggested he purchase a shotgun so if someone breaks into his home and threatens his life, he can defend his life and stop the threat by putting a load of buckshot center mass into the intruder. And yes that is absolutely "supreme" to a ride from a taser.
    Last edited by SHU; 08-12-2014 at 05:24 AM. Reason: why not
    lawandasan likes this.