Page 4 of 63 First 12345671454 ... Last
Like Tree36Likes

Thread: Seattle Police Jobs

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by SPDJOBS View Post
    Civil service handles all of the testing. The time should be on the letter you received from them if you are registered for the test. You can't take the test unless you are registered with civil service. The count right now is around 1000 applicants.
    I am registered -- I just moved out of my dads house because of a domestic thing, so he has my letter and won't let me in to get my mail. Is there someone I can call?

Forum Member
    Rachel Schade in civil service 684-0235
    SEATTLEPOLICEJOBS.COM

HONOR, COURAGE & COMMITMENT

Testing monthly... apply online

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Conner View Post
    So SPDJOBS, you guys set up recruiting booths and hold tests in other large cities?? How often do you do this and what cities do you go to? What would be the next step from, say, someone in Atlanta, that passes the test? Fly to Seattle to continue the process??
    I only answered the first part of your question originally. If you pass the initial testing in Atlanta you will be assigned a background investigator and they will contact you regarding the rest of the process. It would definitely include a trip to Seattle for the rest of the process. It'll be several days long. At least you'd be able to get a feel for the city and the department while you were out here.
    SEATTLEPOLICEJOBS.COM

Forum Member

Took the test today...feel pretty good about it, and my 10% Veterans preference isn't going to hurt. Was going to introduce myself but didn't hear your name called when the officers were introducing themselves. Anyway, wanted to say thanks for the help a few weeks ago.

Do you have a final count on how many took the test?

Also, last time I was going through the testing cycle I was in the process for a long time. It seems like the department is in a hurry (what the Chief said, having test results available in a few days, filling out the PHQ onsite, etc.) Is it looking like the process is happening quickly or am I just imagining things?

Looking forward to my pass letter...

Forum Member
    I was out in the hall when they did intro's. 375 was the official number... including around 30 out-of-state entry level and 6 lateral officers.
    SEATTLEPOLICEJOBS.COM

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by SPDJOBS View Post
    I was out in the hall when they did intro's. 375 was the official number... including around 30 out-of-state entry level and 6 lateral officers.
    I was there as well and would have done the same. Oh well, I was expecting a letter in the mail today but I guess will have to wait until the end of the week for it.

Forum Member
    They were just mailed out today, expect to get them in a few days.
    SEATTLEPOLICEJOBS.COM

Forum Member

Seattle out of state process...

How often does Seattle Pd test for out of state candidates? I was interested in applying possibly sometime in 2008. I'm a police officer in Illinois & I'm originally from Washington state & I'm looking to relocate & come back home. Also how much continous experience before I can apply as an out of state lateral? I would like to skip the academy if possible, once is enough lol.

Forum Member

How is SPD like when it comes to scheduling? Do most new guys start on graveyard shifts, or is there a chance of getting a day shift?

Also, how is SPD when it comes to leave? I have a month-long trip planned for next summer, and it's possible I may wish to take a full month off every year.

Forum Member
    Assignment is based on the needs of the department. There are three patrol watches and new officers are assigned to one of the three in one of the 5 precincts (N,E,W,S and SW). Assignment is based on what precinct and what watch is in need of the most officers at the time. They give you a wish list when you graduate but the ultimate assignment decision is up to the chain of command. More senior officers are allowed to put in for precinct changes as well as watch changes when recruits are coming out into the field from FTO. The recruits will then fill in those open spots.

Vacation time and furlough time is accrued. You get about 12 holidays off a year plus about an equal amount of vacation time. You also accrue what is called furlough hours. You can bank your furlough hours and use them whenever you’d like. You can do the same with your vacation time. You can also use holidays whenever you want as well. For example… if you are working on Thanksgiving you’ll get paid time and ½ for working that day and you’d also get to use that holiday in the future whenever you’d like. Holiday time and furlough time have to be used before the year is up. Vacation time can be banked and carried over into the next year.

Granting discretionary time off is up to each respective precincts chain of command. Don't expect to have any leave granted while you are in the academy or FTO. The academy is roughly 5 months including post BLEA and FTO is roughly an additional 14 weeks. Don’t even ask to take time off during this period because it’s not going to happen. New officers don't customarily take a month of vacation at one time. The odds of that being granted are slim to none. Most officers take vacation in smaller blocks then that. I also don't think you'd have the leave time built up to take 30 days off in one shot. It would also irritate your squad if you were brand new and decided to take off a month during the summer (the busiest time of the year). Your patrol squad becomes your second family and you don’t want to let them down or make them angry at you. July 4th, July 28th (torchlight) and the Hydros are all dates where leave is customarily denied. They are referred to as “red dot” days. If in the event that leave is granted... it is based on seniority and therefore you could pretty much forget about taking any of those dates off.

Just a personal bit of info…I was assigned to days (2nd Watch) when I first came out, so getting assigned to days is not out of the question. Most officers with kids like working 1st watch (overnight) because they get to see their kids more. Younger officers or officers without kids seem to enjoy working third watch (the busiest shift with the most action). I worked 2nd watch because I liked the hours the best 1100 – 2000. The shift personally worked really well for me and it had a good combination of action and still enough down time that I wasn’t racing from one call to the next. I have also worked just about every 4th of July by choice (double time pay) as well as Seafair / torchlight and Hydros (not by choice). If they fall on your day off it’s overtime. If you’re working your normal shift you won’t get drafted to work them.
    Last edited by SPDJOBS; 08-24-2007 at 05:18 PM.
    SEATTLEPOLICEJOBS.COM

LE Geek

What if your spouse is going to have a baby? During FTO or during basic.

Forum Member

I was there. I think I passed, I totally bombed one part though [I won't say which because of privacy concerns] but I hope I didn't miss too many.

It was really cool to meet the Chief in person, I've seen him on TV many times. He has a sense of humor too.

Forum Member

Ah, crap. 78.52%.. Failed by 1.5%.

Forum Member

Angry

Quote Originally Posted by Kildars View Post
    Ah, crap. 78.52%.. Failed by 1.5%.

well another 6 months before the next one...
    Last edited by lnh20; 08-28-2007 at 03:14 AM.

Forum Member

Guess so... I honestly do not believe that one section of the test applies to law enforcement in anyway and it's the part I did bad on. Figures.
    Last edited by Kildars; 08-28-2007 at 10:04 PM.

Forum Member
    I thought starting in October, SPD will be hosting monthly tests?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kildars View Post
    Guess so... I honestly do not believe that one section of the test applies to law enforcement in anyway and it's the part I did bad on. Figures.
    yup

Forum Member
    I'm signed up to take the test in Seattle on Oct, 6-8, 2007.
    Would like to find out who to contact about a ride-a-long or two during that time.

Cynical curmudgeon
    Quote Originally Posted by pat8228 View Post
    I'm signed up to take the test in Seattle on Oct, 6-8, 2007.
    Would like to find out who to contact about a ride-a-long or two during that time.
    Go to the precinct where you want to do the ride along and fill out a form. That's it.
    "We're not in this business for the money. We're not in it for the excitement, and moments like this. Duty, honor, country, service, truth, and justice are good. But you can do that from behind a desk. In the end, you carry a gun and shield out into the field for the sole purpose of confronting the bad guys. The enemy. There is no other reason to be on the front lines." ~Nelson Demille

If your story involves Peanut Butter and an animal - give up now!

Forum Member

Additional Information with my Background Packet??

Hi All,

I would like to submit some additional information so that it makes its way to any backgrounder should I make it that far. I have recieved a few awards at work, as a really great yearly review (i'm only in my second year at my current job) and I think that they refect accuratly how my work ethic and values towards a doing a job well. Should I submit these with my Background Packet???

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by WashingtonLE View Post
    Hi All,

I would like to submit some additional information so that it makes its way to any backgrounder should I make it that far. I have recieved a few awards at work, as a really great yearly review (i'm only in my second year at my current job) and I think that they refect accuratly how my work ethic and values towards a doing a job well. Should I submit these with my Background Packet???
    Yes
    SEATTLEPOLICEJOBS.COM

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Antipathy View Post
    I thought starting in October, SPD will be hosting monthly tests?
    Yes we are, but you can only test every six months if you fail a test and want to retest
    SEATTLEPOLICEJOBS.COM

Forum Member
    Are there certain requirements to be able to apply for a ridealong with the Seattle Police Department? I.E. Lakewood and Tacoma Police Departments require that you either know someone in the department, or that you are in the hiring process.

Forum Member

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by xcrunner View Post
    Are there certain requirements to be able to apply for a ridealong with the Seattle Police Department? I.E. Lakewood and Tacoma Police Departments require that you either know someone in the department, or that you are in the hiring process.
    No certain requirements required like you stated above, just be clean (i.e. no criminal record). Just go fill out the form at any SPD precinct, select a date you want do ride along and wait for the call, turn around is pretty fast.

Forum Member

OK guys I am having problems getting a ride along. I have an arrest in '98 for assault 3... this was not on a civil servant... and I was 15 years old. I'm not trying to make any excuses, but I feel like I can't even get in the door to explain. I've request the report from the police agency that it was processed through and am in the act of trying to recieve that report. However since it was so long ago and it was never sent to court and no charges were filed I wasnt able to get much info on the case. Essentially I am wondering what I can do to get a ride along?

Page 4 of 63 First 12345671454 ... Last