Forum Member

concealed carry laws NY (not NYC)

I applied and was granted the ability to carry a pistol concealed. With my permit I was given a 1 paragraph disclaimer basically tell me I cant carry a firearm into a school or a court. I have been unable to find a black and white listing of establishments that I am not allowed to carry at, (banks , post office etc. ) and on the topic, I tend to carry my pistol all the time and I know that someday one of you guys will be hiding in the trees waiting for me to speed by (late to work again) 1. should I tell said officer I have a firearm, ( scared of the reaction I might receive if were seen with out first being disclosed ) and how should I bring this up? (the old "I have a gun" line might not be taken correctly ) thanks for the input

BTW I live in Monroe county and frequent Wayne & Ontario county's

Forum Member
    McDermott....You know you cannot carry in NYC, you are correct about Post Offices and all Federal Buildings and facilities.......you may bring your weapon to a State courthouse but must surrender it upon entering the building. There is no official listing od prohibited premises that I know of. Each jurisdiction will most likely have a different approach to being informed that you are carrying.

Forum Member
    I think he is asking if stopped for a V+T violation should he bring it up...

I personally don't care as long as I can see your hands at all time. From reading these forums and others a lot of officers do suggest you mention it politely like: Evening officer, just to let you know I have a ccw and I am carrying a glock 9mm in a holster on my right side... All the while keeping your hands on the wheel.

Once again, I personally don't need to know.

Forum Member

another question I have tried to answer on my own is do i have to conceal it? my permit just says "license to carry pistol is hereby granted" i have asked fellow permit holders and opinions very... the gun shop were i bought the gun said i could walk around twirling it if i liked.. (i don't believe that). I read a online posting stated that open carry in NY would be considered Menacing? I don't know I'm kinda new at this. I tried talking to a state trooper at the local barracks, but was given the olé "weird eye" as i think he was considering macing me (kidding) but seemed like he couldn't be bothered to help me understand.
    I tend to carry every ware i can, i was in a restaurant when a fight broke out and the loser came back in with a gun yelling and screaming waving it everywhere, never fired a shot then left. anyway I'm just trying to understand what i can and cant do. some times its unfortunately easer to be the "bad" guy, the good guys have to many rules

P.s. thought maybe it would be easer to tell you why i want to carry so you all don't think I'm just a gun toting weirdo.. thanks again
    Last edited by McDermott; 06-04-2007 at 01:52 AM.

Forum Member
    Open carrying in New York is not a good idea for your health.

Forum Member
    Just some advice.

If you carry open in as in where the public can see it directly.. This will only open up a can of worms. You may get refused entry into places (and yes any business can refuse you), and more then likely the Police will be called. Prob. the only info they will get is. "man/woman with a gun at so and so..

If you have a CCW (carry concealed).
    IGNORE LIST - Banastretarlton AKA "banana boy"

"In the fields of observation chance favors only prepared mind"
    -----Louis Pasteur

"Sweat in training saves blood on the battlefield."

-------Col. David "Hack" Hackworth

On my 7 year old 2nd Grade Class wall

------------YOU are RESPONSIBLE for YOUR OWN ACTIONS

Operator
    Quote Originally Posted by VACOP1 View Post
    Just some advice.

If you carry open in as in where the public can see it directly.. This will only open up a can of worms. You may get refused entry into places (and yes any business can refuse you), and more then likely the Police will be called. Prob. the only info they will get is. "man/woman with a gun at so and so..

If you have a CCW (carry concealed).

Good advice.....as that's just bringing unwarranted attention onto yourself if you show up some place with a exposed weapon......

Even though Missouri allows one to open carry, I have been to numerous calls from Wally-World, the local bank (they are all posted now since CCW started), fast food joints, stop and robs, local diners, etc......when someone wanders in with a weapon strapped to their hip......

Needless to say, they all come out with "Man with a gun at XXXXX." And it can be very tense as myself and my fellow shift mates show up and try to figure out what is going on........

Just food for thought...

Forum Member
    New York State Penal Law Sect 400.00 (2) defines the type of handgun licenses available in NYS. Subsect. "f" defines your license. It is a license to carry concealed, not openly. Violations of PL 400.00 are class "a" misdemeanors. Nobody wants you carrying openly in the state. You'll lose your license and maybe your life if you do.

Forum Member