• 23-28K

1 3.45%
  • 28-30K

2 6.90%
  • 30K+

18 62.07%
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
    Babysitting bad guys

How Many State Corrections Officers Are Post Certified?

I Want To Know How Many "state" Corrections Officers Are Post Certified And Can Switch To Police At Any Time?

Local And County Corrections Are Different, So I Am Just Trying To Find Out About State Agencies Only.

In Florida We Are Not Post Certified So The Leosa Doesen't Cover Us For National Ccw. But We Are Considered Leo's "in-state"

Also I Am Trying To Get An Idea On Pay Rates And If You Get O.t.

In Florida We Start Around 30,000 But No Overtime At All.
    Erik M. Asher
    1911 builder, FPOA/NRA competition shooter.
    Army veteran 13M (Desert Storm 90-91)
    State Correctional Officer@ GULF CI (Forestry Camp)

Forum Member
    In Kansas we are not Post certified. We're barely considered LEO in state. We start at 12.41 an hour and overtime is pretty plentiful since we can't keep anyone with the low pay.

Forum Member

I think you'd be hard pressed to find any corrections officers at that state level, who could transfer to a police agency with their corrections training. Pennsylvania state is out; Nowhere near the same training. I think New Jersey state corrections here on the East Coast is close. But, even they need additional training to lateral to a police dept.

7/1/06 7/1/07

$28,813 $29,815

Forum Member

California is probably the only state agency that meets your criteria.
    "Keep up the good fight, pass the word, and teach others to fight back when unjustly assaulted--be it on the street or in the courtroom. Self-defense is a normal, moral act. So teach your family, friends, and students practical defense against both physical and legal marauders." by Jerry VanCook www.PrisonOfficer.Org

Ride it like you stole it
    Are C/O's go to POST for are academy but we dont get any credit for law enforcment experiance. The local sheriff department even likes to sit on the road to the prison and give out tickets to C/O's.

Forum Member
    CA correctional officers are NOT POST certified. They must go through a police academy to lateral to a police department.
    "Why don't you go eat a decroted piece of crap!"

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by grussem View Post
    CA correctional officers are NOT POST certified. They must go through a police academy to lateral to a police department.
    We are P.O.S.T certified: to the lowest level of P.O.S.T. It enables us to make the arrest and booking, on duty, as a peace officer. Any assaults on us is an assault on a peace officer, which carries a higher punishment for the offender etc. When I went through, we received our P.O.S.T and our C.P.O.S.T certificates upon graduation. We can not lateral to a police department with our P.O.S.T certification because we would need additional P.O.S.T level training.
    Last edited by quentin3434; 06-02-2007 at 12:46 AM. Reason: addition and correction

Forum Member
    As mentioned to me in another thread, WA state law actually goes to far as to say that state Corrections Officers are NOT considered Law Enforcement. I guess they had to make that clear so to keep us from pulling people over or something.

Babysitting bad guys

What About Georgia?

I Was Looking On Georgia Dept Of Corrections Website And They Make A Point Of Saying That All C/o's Are Peace Officers And Fully Post Certified.
    Have Any Ga C.o.'s Made The Switch From Corrections To Leo Just On Your Academy Post Certificate?
    Erik M. Asher
    1911 builder, FPOA/NRA competition shooter.
    Army veteran 13M (Desert Storm 90-91)
    State Correctional Officer@ GULF CI (Forestry Camp)

Forum Member

I know that the CLEET certification that some Oklahoma COs are lucky enough to get is the same as a street cop's with the exception of the traffic portion. I'm betting that California's is the same. There are several other states that require COs to be POST certified. I just don't know exactly what each one's "POST" consists of. They are Arizona, Utah, Nevada, Washington, Idaho, Florida and Georgia it seems like.
    "Keep up the good fight, pass the word, and teach others to fight back when unjustly assaulted--be it on the street or in the courtroom. Self-defense is a normal, moral act. So teach your family, friends, and students practical defense against both physical and legal marauders." by Jerry VanCook www.PrisonOfficer.Org

Forum Member
    Arizona doesn't require a POST certification, however the academy (COTA) is approved by POST. It's this odd double speak that I never could understand about arizona, why force POST to approve the academy and then not provide at the very least a Correctional Peace officer Certification upon completion. I guess it's just corrections.

California is POST certified, but at the PC 832 level, which was explained already, as the lowest level of POST in that state, allowing peace officers the ability to do all that is necessary, WHILE ON DUTY.

Nevade is a Category III Post, which is again the lowest level of POST certification in that state. It applies to all CO's in the state, to include North Las Vegas PD's corrections officers and LVMPD's CO's. It's pretty vague as to what the authority is with the CAT III cert, but at least it is Peace Officer Status and pretty respected in the state.

Idaho requires a POST Cert as well, but again it's a Correctional Peace Officer Cert. There is a separate academy for Parole/Probation, as well as your regular beat cops.

I can't chime in on Georgia because I have never looked into hiring on there, but from what I hear they have some sort of limited Correctional POST cert, and are LEO's while on duty.

Ride it like you stole it
    From what I gather below we are peace officers/law enforcment but only when it comes people that are under the control of the Dept. of corrections. I also saw as far as RETIREMENTgos we are classifiad as police officers.

TITLE 20
    STATE PRISON AND COUNTY JAILS
    CHAPTER 2
    STATE BOARD OF CORRECTIONS
    20-209C. AUTHORITY TO DESIGNATE EMPLOYEES AS PEACE OFFICERS. All
    employees of the state board of correction who receive peace officer
    certification from the Idaho peace officer standards and training council
    shall have the authority given by statute to peace officers of the state of
    Idaho in accordance with the provisions of section 19-5109, Idaho Code. The
    state board of correction shall have the additional authority to designate
    other classified employees to act as peace officers when engaged in
    transportation of prisoners or apprehension of prisoners or wards who have
    escaped, or apprehension and arrest of persons who are suspected of having
    violated the terms and conditions of their probation or parole.

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by hankrearden2000 View Post
    I know that the CLEET certification that some Oklahoma COs are lucky enough to get is the same as a street cop's with the exception of the traffic portion. I'm betting that California's is the same. There are several other states that require COs to be POST certified. I just don't know exactly what each one's "POST" consists of. They are Arizona, Utah, Nevada, Washington, Idaho, Florida and Georgia it seems like.
    Those of us that are CLEET certified had to go thruough the traffic portion of CLEET also. What keeps us from being considered an LEO is our policy. The dept. only recognizes P&P ofc's, Fugitive apprehension and Internal affairs as LEO's.

Although we still have to maintain the CLEET standards and continuing education credits like all other LEO's in the state.
    It's a CERT thing. You wouldn't understand.

Forum Member
    New York State CO's are "POST" certified, we are Peace Officers and can arrest on and off duty, plus carry a weapon "on our badge" off duty. Under NO circumstances is our training equivalent to that of a Police Officer in this state, so NO, there is NO lateral transfer to LEO.

Forum Member

In VT we are not even remotely considered LEO's. We not even under the Department of Public Safety, we're under the Agency of Human Services. Our starting pay is $14.56 an hour and depending on which facility you work at you either get a small amount of OT a month or a massive amount of OT a week (my facility is the one with the massive amount of OT).

On the job in the desert

Quote Originally Posted by correctionsguy View Post
    Arizona doesn't require a POST certification, however the academy (COTA) is approved by POST. It's this odd double speak that I never could understand about arizona, why force POST to approve the academy and then not provide at the very least a Correctional Peace officer Certification upon completion. I guess it's just corrections.
    Arizona POST wants nothing to do with ADC, but they were mandated by state law to oversee them. AZPOST doesn't pay any attention to ADC. Interestingly enough, there are provisions under AZPOST rules for COs to be certified as Limited Correctional Peace Officers, which is similar to what California COs have (peace officer powers only on duty for DOC related stuff), however ADC refuses to give the traning because they would have to polygraph everyone who went through it, and they prefer their COs to not have any authority at all....
    1*

Ten dash eight!

Forum Member

I know some county corrections run buy the sheriffs office are post certified.

Forum Member
    Thirdgod,

I never thought about that part. Arizona does have in either statute or Admin Code (not sure which) a provision that states "peace officers" have to be polygraphed prior to being certified. That definitely would put a hamper on the ADC hiring practices. You know, if ALL corrections (not just the few smart states) had the same hiring procedures, thus the same or similar certifications as the other state level LE agencies there would be many more respectable CO's in the field.

I guess it's the dilemma correctional agencies find themselves in.....Qualified, professional, certified officers or save time and money and just do the bare minimum NCIC check to get warm bodies on the floors. Ahhh, what it must be like to be a correctional administrator, putting the public's safety in jeopardy everyday.

On the job in the desert

Quote Originally Posted by correctionsguy View Post
    Thirdgod,

I never thought about that part. Arizona does have in either statute or Admin Code (not sure which) a provision that states "peace officers" have to be polygraphed prior to being certified. That definitely would put a hamper on the ADC hiring practices.
    It's in the Arizona Administrative Code. Not only would they incur the time and money cost of the polygraphs, but that would mean that people would actually have to be <gasp> HONEST during their backgrounds!

I guess it's the dilemma correctional agencies find themselves in.....Qualified, professional, certified officers or save time and money and just do the bare minimum NCIC check to get warm bodies on the floors. Ahhh, what it must be like to be a correctional administrator, putting the public's safety in jeopardy everyday.
    Well, look at it from their point of view. They have two choices: A) Hire quality, well screened, peace officer staff; or B) Hire Joe Blow and use the extra money to pay for ice cream parties, GED graduation ceremonies with paid guest speakers, and college courses for murderers and child molesters who are doing natural life and will NEVER get out anyway. Seems Dora has made her choice.....
    1*

Ten dash eight!

Forum Member

Well, look at it from their point of view. They have two choices: A) Hire quality, well screened, peace officer staff; or B) Hire Joe Blow and use the extra money to pay for ice cream parties, GED graduation ceremonies with paid guest speakers, and college courses for murderers and child molesters...

I see it's pretty much the same everywhere...

Field Training Officer
    Texas- State CO's are not certified by anyone but Department of Criminal Justice, but County and City CO's are certified by TCLOESE and have alot less training.

No CO here is able to just go to street without going to a police academy and getting a Basic Peace Officer Cert.

But I as a state officer get the same retirement multiplier for Custodial Officer/Commissioned Peace Officer as the State Police.
    the only true rehabilitation starts with a needle............

Positive Thinker

Quote Originally Posted by thirdgod View Post
    Arizona POST wants nothing to do with ADC, but they were mandated by state law to oversee them. AZPOST doesn't pay any attention to ADC. Interestingly enough, there are provisions under AZPOST rules for COs to be certified as Limited Correctional Peace Officers, which is similar to what California COs have (peace officer powers only on duty for DOC related stuff), however ADC refuses to give the traning because they would have to polygraph everyone who went through it, and they prefer their COs to not have any authority at all....
    Interesting. ADC has nearly a hundred sworn Peace Officers (Special Investigators) who are POST Certified so AZPOST does and has to pay attention to ADC. On another note, the ADC Director has a perminent spot on the AZPOST board. Just because AZ Correction Officers are not post certified does not mean POST does not have an interest in ADC.

During my seven years with ADC it appears to me that having the ability to be called a Peace Officer is all that is important to many Correction Officers. Even if ADC provided everyone with the Peace Officer status it would be the Limited Correctional Peace Officer and all that is required for that is a couple weeks of title 13 training. Aside from being called a Peace Officer, the next most important thing to Arizona Correction Officers is to get rid of the current state shaped badge and the get a seven point star.

When I left ADC I kept my officer badge, Investigator badge and my Investigator flat badge. I am proud of my time at ADC and have all three badges with my ID framed.

On the job in the desert

Mgrif-

Obviously AZPOST has to pay attention to the Special Investigators. Above and beyond that, however, they seem to have no part in running ADC. When was the last time you heard of AZPOST doing a traning records audit on individual, randomly selected staff to insure that continuing and proficiency training are taking place? When was the last time you heard of AZPOST investigating misconduct by a CO, like they often do with peace officers? From what I've read, when ALEOC (the predecessor to AZPOST) was first mandated to take over Corrections Officer standards, they fought it like there was no tomorrow. In addition, AZPOST has mentioned in official meeting minutes that there is a significant gap in integrity standards for corrections and detention officers versus peace officers.

I personally would love AZPOST to get involved with running ADC, auditing new hire backgrounds, investigating integrity issues, etc, but I believe that AZPOST would drop oversight of ADC in a heartbeat if they were ever given the chance. I too am proud of what I was able to accomplish at ADC, and I don't regret working there at all. Having said that, though, you know as well as I that the agency has the potential to be so much better than it is.
    Last edited by thirdgod; 06-05-2007 at 07:20 PM. Reason: addition
    1*

Ten dash eight!

Positive Thinker

Once again AZPOST has done training record request on Investigators. No they're not going to do them on COs because AZPOST does not Certify COs as Peace Officers therefore they do not care about CO training records or misconduct.

On the job in the desert

Quote Originally Posted by Mgrif View Post
    No they're not going to do them on COs because AZPOST does not Certify COs as Peace Officers therefore they do not care about CO training records or misconduct.
    That's exactly my point. It seems absurd to me to make AZPOST responsible for ADC's CO traning requirements, background stadards, etc, and then have them exercise no oversight whatsoever on the correctional series. I think that the LCPO program should be put back into place, and that AZPOST should in fact have oversight over those things; I think it would make ADC a much more professional agency, and would eliminate a lot of questionable behaviors at all levels of the agency.
    1*

Ten dash eight!

Page 1 of 2 12 Last