Page 1 of 2 12 Last
    Forum Member

Is 30 too old to become an officer?

Is 30 years old too old to become an officer? I am now 28 and want to be CPD but am afraid by the next time CPD gives another test I will be 30 before I would have a chance to get hired. Are there any PO's who got hired for their first time in their 30's?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by CPDhopeful View Post
    Is 30 years old too old to become an officer? I am now 28 and want to be CPD but am afraid by the next time CPD gives another test I will be 30 before I would have a chance to get hired. Are there any PO's who got hired for their first time in their 30's?
    There were people in my class that were turning 40 while they were in the acadmey.

Forum Member
    I am 34.. i know a 44 year old who is also interested

Forum Member
    I'm on the Feb'06 list and I turned 30 a couple months ago. In terms of the other applicants, I didn't feel particularly old while at the various testing and exam sessions. I did notice during the POWER test, they split us into age (20-29 or 30-39) and gender groups for the different standards. I think there was only 3 or 4 in the latter group to perhaps 40 in the former. I was 29 at the time and am looking forward to the loosened POWER age requirements.

Forum Member

My class had like 6 or 7 people over 35. And all of them wound up excelling in the academy. My class president was 33.

Forum Member

We have many people over 30 in our class right now. No sweat.

Forum Member

I'm 34 and have no doubt I can finish the academy....you'll be fine!! I'm 34, that means I have 31 years before I am a Sr Citizen....my kids will be 36 and 34 before I retire. I can bench 280, do 43 sit ups in a min, run 1.5 miles in 13.15 (working on it every week)...30's is nothing! Again u are fine!!
    Plus we get a less standard on the fitness test!!
    Last edited by 0311Grunt; 06-01-2007 at 10:44 AM.

Forum Member
    I was 33 in the academy and did fine. As long as you're in decent shape the PT portion of the academy really isn't a big deal. I outran alot of the younger guys in my class. It all depends on your fitness level. I had two people in there 40's in my class and several of us were in our 30's. All of us graduated.

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ts622 View Post
    I was 33 in the academy and did fine. As long as you're in decent shape the PT portion of the academy really isn't a big deal. I outran alot of the younger guys in my class. It all depends on your fitness level. I had two people in there 40's in my class and several of us were in our 30's. All of us graduated.
    When they had no age requirement, I can say that is seemed that the older you were when you came on the job, the less you wanted to do when you got out on the street.

Nothing worse than a 50 year old P.P.O. in field training to say, I'm too old for this, too old for that!

33 is fine even 40 is ok. But any older than that and the percentage of the I'm to old for...crowd begins to increase and for a P.P.O. it is very frustrating to those around them.

Forum Member
    No offense to my young brothers and sisters but I personally think that coming onto the job in your late 20's early 30's is the best time. By that time you've probably had alot of work experience, have matured, and are still physically able to do the job. This certainly doesn't apply to everyone but more than a couple of the 22-24yr crowd in my class had the mindset of "Just give me a gun and let me go". I mean, most of them went straight from their parent's house, to college, and were now at the academy. No real life experience. And just to clarify, this does not apply to everyone. There are dogs out there of all ages.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ts622 View Post
    No offense to my young brothers and sisters but I personally think that coming onto the job in your late 20's early 30's is the best time. By that time you've probably had alot of work experience, have matured, and are still physically able to do the job. This certainly doesn't apply to everyone but more than a couple of the 22-24yr crowd in my class had the mindset of "Just give me a gun and let me go". I mean, most of them went straight from their parent's house, to college, and were now at the academy. No real life experience. And just to clarify, this does not apply to everyone. There are dogs out there of all ages.
    No bull I agree with Ts. I am bleesed that I have started at 26 versuses my early 20's. I grew up and matured a lot in the 3 years I waited. During that time a gained some very valuable life expierience.

Rookie

just got hired three months ago and I'm 30...

Forum Member
    Currently with the county, June 06 tester with CPD waiting on the POWER and I turned 30 last week. 30 is not old! ;p

Forum Member

33 here, I don't think I could have done the work I do now at 23........

Forum Member
    I decided to become a police officer after my daughter was finished with school. When I went to school I was 44, graduated and 2 weeks later I turned 45. I was hired by my PD 2 months later.

Good luck to you.
    If you can't be honest with yourself who can you be honest with.

Forum Member

Being in your 30's is definitely NOT too old for our academy. We had more than a few people over 30, and even close to 40 in our class years ago.

BOTTOM LINE: Just work on your cardio and everything will be fine. Distance running, sprints, a combination of distance running, stopping a doing push-ups, and then sprints, and running up and down stairs are all good cardio tune ups for your future academy experience.

Good Luck and Be Safe Out There,

cpd007

Forum Member
    I started when I was 34 and I am 39 now.

You should do fine.

Forum Member

I had people who were 42 in my academy.

Forum Member

Don't worry about age.
    Last edited by squared357; 04-03-2008 at 12:43 AM.

Forum Member
    Although, I do have a question for everyone. Does age factor in advancement as far as Tact, Detective etc.?
    Not in my department, or at least it is not supposed to.

Forum Member

I don't believe age has anything to do with going to Tact. I have partners that are in their mid 20's and other partners who are in their 40's, even close to 50. Being on Tact is much more about the number of arrests you are making while on patrol. Specifically, the types of arrests- the more drug and gun pinches you're making, the more attractive your resume will be when openings on Tact arise. And yes, sometimes it helps if you have a phone call, too. Nonetheless, it's a much better feeling when you've earned your place on a Tact team on your own.

Good Luck With Your Career and Be Safe Out There,

cpd007

Forum Member

This thread has took a huge monkey off my back. I am 25 and felt I was the only one worrying about getting too old. I hope what they say about persistence is true. Going on number 4 (departments tested) for me.

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cpd007 View Post
    ...Nonetheless, it's a much better feeling when you've earned your place on a Tact team on your own.

Good Luck With Your Career and Be Safe Out There,

cpd007
    They all think they earned their way on to tact teams. Just ask them. None of them will say they were dogs and that a phone call exclusively got them on the team. They will all say they were very active. Even with their phone calls, they say it helped but their activity was there as well.

Forum Member
    started when i was 23,
    worked prior for 2 railroads

defunct: chicago and western indiana r.r. ( owned dearborne station)
    indiana harbor belt r.r. ( best they did was lay me off in 82)

started police sept 1983....$5.37 hour...( 12,500 ) yr
    retirement oct 2008 if i want
    " if you talk in your sleep, don't mention my name....
    " if you walk in your sleep, forget where you came....

Forum Member

Hey SeVere,

The people who make Tact on phone calls know who they are. They may not admit it, and they often don't. Nevertheless, we know who they are. Nothing stays secret on our job for long. Most of the people I know who made it on phone calls were horrible patrolmen to begin with, and nobody on the watch ever wanted to work with them. Unfortunately, sometimes these people make it on to various Tact teams and it's embarrassing to our department.

Politics are everywhere- what are you going to do ? There's nothing most of us can do about it. It is what it is, and some things will never change. Thankfully, I did earn my keep, and I don't owe anyone anything.

cpd007

Page 1 of 2 12 Last