Forum Member

Someone elses car

I was just wondering what kind of penalty, if there is one, that you would give to someone if they were driving someone elses car and you pulled them over. Any difference if the owner is in the car with the person?

Deputy Sheriff
    Quote Originally Posted by gfreebur View Post
    I was just wondering what kind of penalty, if there is one, that you would give to someone if they were driving someone elses car and you pulled them over. Any difference if the owner is in the car with the person?
    Although this question is vague I will take a stab at it. It does not matter, for the most part, who ownes the vehicle.
    If you are driving another persons vehicle and you violate the vehicle code you can be stopped and cited just as if you are the owner of the vehicle.

I arrest or cite people all the time who are not the owners of the car. In fact some leo's look for activity based upon running a plate and checking out the registered owner. Bad habit to get into because the have the potential of passing up alot of good activity. There is a considerable amount of vehicles being driven out there by people other then the registered owner.
    Prov 17:17 A friend loveth at all times, and a brother is born for adversity.

Forum Member

Someone else's car

Reread Post#2. It has excellent information. Let me throw a small "legal"point at you. The police do not issues penalties. That's a function of the courts. We arrest, cite. The District Attorney prosecutes. The courts adjudicate. Okay, that's the end of Civics 101 for the day. Sometimes, it seems that every other vehicle you stop is driven by someone other than the owner. That can be especially true if you're working Commercial Vehicle Enforcement, or a similiar activity. Any enforcement action you take is based on the violation. If the circumstances warrant it, we ascertain that the driver has permission to operate the vehicle in question.

Forum Member

Just because you get pulled over driving a vehicle that does not belong to you and there is an issue with the vehicle such as an equipment violation, insurance not in effect, suspended or expired registration, doesn't change the fact that you are still in violation of that traffic law. In addition, the registered owner being in their car while you are operating it and get pulled over, doesn't put them in the driver's seat.

Verbal Sniper
    In NC the only thing I can't cite you for (while you're driving someone else's car) is failure to carry insurance...everything else you can and will hold a ticket for. It matters not to me...and oh, btw, you're also responsible for everything IN that car while you're motoring around in it.

I don't agree with your opinion, but I respect its straightforwardness in terms of wrongness.

FIR NA DLI "MEN OF LAW"

Ditto to all the above! You won't be written for anything extra based on the fact that you don't own the vehicle.
    "Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything!"-Wyatt Earp

"You never know when crazy will show up!"-Irishdep

Forum Member
    My two cents worth... It's not your car, but you're driving it... Then no difference. You're responsibile for the producing the registration, proof of insurance, your driver's license, not to add the proper operation of said vehicle and the condition of vehicle's equipment (ie; lights, brakes, seatbelts, etc.).

So, no there is no additional citations, just the one for actual violations.

Omnipotent Stomper
    In PA we can cite the driver for any violation, reguardless of who owns the car. We can also cite the owner, even if they are not there, for equipment violations and scattering rubbish.
    As far as "rights" are concerned; I look at them this way... I don't tell you what church to go to, and you don't tell me what kind of firearm I can own...

No, it's NOT a warning...

Are you asking if there is a penalty for driving someone else's car? If so, no...unless they don't know you have it. Then there will probably be some issues.

Everything else has been covered by my esteemed colleagues.

Forum Member
    thanks guys all of that is good to know, but i was also wondering how you guys know if the car could be stolen or not...do you just rely on reports out for missing cars, because you could pull over a person in a stolen car and not think twice about it.

Forum Member
    thanks guys all of that is good to know, but i was also wondering how you guys know if the car could be stolen or not...do you just rely on reports out for missing cars, because you could pull over a person in a stolen car and not think twice about it.

That can happen. A person can only be detained for a reasonable amount of time to complete an investigation. If there is enough reasonable suspicion that the person may not have permission to drive the car, another officer can be dispatched to try and make contact with the registered owner to see if it was an unreported stolen.

Cars are stolen overnight all the time when people are sleeping and don't report them stolen until the next day. The thief is driving a cold stolen around all night. The other day we got a stolen car suspect in custody who asked why the officer who talked to him in the park overnight didn't arrest him. I lied to him and said I don't know.

yes, it really is me...
    Once we run the tag, we know if the car has been reported stolen. If it hasn't been reported, then there are three other tricks that I use to see if he has the authority to be in possesion of the vehicle. (I'll tell you one, if the KEYS are in the ignition). Also, if the driver and passengers bail out once you've conducted a traffic stop, then I'm gonna bet that he's not supposed to be in the car

A man should never be ashamed to own that he has been in the wrong, which is but saying... that he is wiser today than yesterday. Jonathan Swift 1667-1745

It's only a conspiracy when your party is not in power.

Forum Member
    if you are in Aurora Co, beware the license plate readers, they are really cool for us bad for the car thief.
    http://cbs4denver.com/crime/local_story_123233313.html
    I have seen them work they are awesome!!!!

No, it's NOT a warning...

Quote Originally Posted by pressm4n View Post
    if you are in Aurora Co, beware the license plate readers, they are really cool for us bad for the car thief.
    http://cbs4denver.com/crime/local_story_123233313.html
    I have seen them work they are awesome!!!!

We are supposed to start getting these for all our cars here. A couple guys have already gotten them and they work like a charm.

Forum Member

If it was a moving violation, Id write them. If it was a car issue, expired inspection, expired reg, no insurance, I would use my discretion, and give them a warning.

CHP Explorer

Other person's car

No it makes no difference, unless a check is done to the car and person. If the person has wants or warrants then they are arrested or written off (depending of the magnitude of the crime comitted) and the car is either towed or given to the owner (or if a write off, the driver goes on their way). If the car comes back stolen, the driver is arrested (possibly any passengers), the car is searched for drugs or weapons, and the owner is called to do an inventory and damage check, and take their car way. Hope this helps.

Deputy Sheriff
    Quote Originally Posted by chpeve View Post
    No it makes no difference, unless a check is done to the car and person. If the person has wants or warrants then they are arrested or written off (depending of the magnitude of the crime comitted) and the car is either towed or given to the owner (or if a write off, the driver goes on their way). If the car comes back stolen, the driver is arrested (possibly any passengers), the car is searched for drugs or weapons, and the owner is called to do an inventory and damage check, and take their car way. Hope this helps.
    Do not listen to this post. You are getting bad advice. This is exactly why non law enforcement personnel are not allowed to respond in the Ask a Cop section.
    Prov 17:17 A friend loveth at all times, and a brother is born for adversity.

Looking for work in OR
    I have a question along the same lines as the original one...or rather I'm asking for some clarification.

In the same situation, say me driving my grandfather's car, if I am issued a citation for whatever reason (I'm not sure if it matters what kind of citation), where does the citiation go as far as insurance? Is the citation linked to my drivers license (probably out of state), and/or does it stay with the vehicle? I guess what I'm asking...is if I get a ticket, will my grandfather's insurance premium be raised for my mistake? I know this isn't an insurance forum....but LEO's know a lot about these things....so I'm asking if anyone knows?

An Obvious problem
    The cite and responsibility goes to you as the driver. Most insurance companies (I'm not an insurance agent I'm a deputy sheriff, so this could be off a little but I don't think so) run your driver's license for it's history when they determine your rates. So the increased premiums would most likely be yours as the driver
    Today's Quote:

"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits."
    Albert Einstein

Verbal Sniper
    Quote Originally Posted by AKSuperDually View Post
    In the same situation, say me driving my grandfather's car, if I am issued a citation for whatever reason (I'm not sure if it matters what kind of citation), where does the citiation go as far as insurance? Is the citation linked to my drivers license (probably out of state), and/or does it stay with the vehicle? I guess what I'm asking...is if I get a ticket, will my grandfather's insurance premium be raised for my mistake? I know this isn't an insurance forum....but LEO's know a lot about these things....so I'm asking if anyone knows?

AK, you got the ticket, not the vehicle...so you get the points on your license, not the car.

I don't agree with your opinion, but I respect its straightforwardness in terms of wrongness.

Forum Member
    Also, it depends on whether you have permission to drive his car. Otherwise, there are other charges that can be made against you....Auto Theft, for example.

When I lived in NC, the insurance came wtih the tag.In other words, there could be no tags on uninsured cars. Once the insurance expired, the Patrol will come and take your tag.
    "Say hal-lo to my leetle frahnd!"

Corporal
    Quote Originally Posted by pujolsfan146 View Post
    Do not listen to this post. You are getting bad advice. This is exactly why non law enforcement personnel are not allowed to respond in the Ask a Cop section.
    I agree. These explorerer guys, at least in my department, dont have the complete knowledge needed give advise. They attend a few weeks of training and then go out to tackle the world.