Forum Member

Security with Deputy Sheriff authrority

I've been told that security officers, hold the powers of a deputy sheriff? Any truth to this?
    "Intelligence plus character that is the goal of true education." - Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BadBoynMD View Post
    I've been told that security officers, hold the powers of a deputy sheriff? Any truth to this?
    Not that i know of. Deputy Sheriff's are certified police officers.
    "Damned if you do and damned if you dont"

Forum Member

I do not know if it is still true, but about 10 years ago my buddy became a SC security guard, and he said that in SC security guards had law enforcement authority equivalent to a deputy sheriff on the property they were contracted to work on. He was given a miranda card when he went to the security guard certification school. I was surprised, but reading his license it appeared to be true.

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jnhdrac View Post
    I do not know if it is still true, but about 10 years ago my buddy became a SC security guard, and he said that in SC security guards had law enforcement authority equivalent to a deputy sheriff on the property they were contracted to work on. He was given a miranda card when he went to the security guard certification school. I was surprised, but reading his license it appeared to be true.
    Must still be in effect. I know in NC you can start your own private police department. Pretty interesting.
    "Intelligence plus character that is the goal of true education." - Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

Hustler
    Yes they do, at least the ones that carry weapons. Most area malls, the guards do not carry weapons. It is governed by SLED in South Carolina. However, most security companies will not allow their guards per their policy act. In order for a Security Guard to carry a weapon, they have to given a card by SLED, stating they are allowed to carry that specific weapon, however they are not LEO's , so they can not Mirandize.
    "An excuse is worse and more terrible than a lie, for an excuse is a lie guarded."

Forum Member

All security officers in SC have the same authority as deputy sheriffs, but only on the property they work on, and while on duty. This is regardless of being armed or not. The other post was correct in that most companies will not let their officers make arrest.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Carolina Deputy View Post
    All security officers in SC have the same authority as deputy sheriffs, but only on the property they work on, and while on duty. This is regardless of being armed or not. The other post was correct in that most companies will not let their officers make arrest.
    Is it the same in North Carolina and South Carolina? Are the called security guards even if they have arrest powers?

Forum Member
    I was a security guard before entering into LE. I know of no circumstance where a security guard has arrest authority in this state. It does have me very curious tho and plan to do some research tonight.
    If you can't be honest with yourself who can you be honest with.

Forum Member
    According to our General Statute a security guard may not arrest. It is true that in NC you can start your own special police pursuant to the rules and regulations of the board of commissioners. However, what I have been able to find, thus far, the special police are sworn officers not security guards.

GS15A-404 No private person; may arrest another person except as provided in GS 15A-405. A private person may detain another person as provided in this section.

Hope this helps I'm still digging LOL

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by taz1802 View Post
    According to our General Statute a security guard may not arrest. It is true that in NC you can start your own special police pursuant to the rules and regulations of the board of commissioners. However, what I have been able to find, thus far, the special police are sworn officers not security guards.

GS15A-404 No private person; may arrest another person except as provided in GS 15A-405. A private person may detain another person as provided in this section.

Okay, the Washington Post did a article on "privatizing police powers". They had a security officer that made a traffic stop inside a apartment complex, with blue lights, etc. As he worked for for a private special police department. This is getting pretty interesting.

Forum Member

Okay, the Washington Post did a article on "privatizing police powers". They had a security officer that made a traffic stop inside a apartment complex, with blue lights, etc. As he worked for for a private special police department. This is getting pretty interesting.
    yay this really is.

Forum Member

Ive been told that they are called company police

Forum Member
    Special Police or Company Police are sworn officers. They take an oath of office provided to them by the States Attorney General. Security officers do not. They are governed by the Private Protection Services Board. They must be registered and licensed with the PPS. Armed security officers are also governed by the PPS Board and go through a bit more training.

GS 74C I believe is for PPS
    GS74E-6 talks about other types of Policing

Of course...always looking for more LOL

Be safe

Forum Member
    As far as the Washington Post article, unfortunately, I never read it but since the media printed they more than likely called the special police officer a security guard.... Like everyone else does. I'm sworn in the State of NC and people still call me a security guard. LOL Oh well!

Forum Member

Special Police or Company Police are sworn officers. They take an oath of office provided to them by the States Attorney General. Security officers do not. They are governed by the Private Protection Services Board. They must be registered and licensed with the PPS. Armed security officers are also governed by the PPS Board and go through a bit more training.

GS 74C I believe is for PPS
    GS74E-6 talks about other types of Policing

Of course...always looking for more LOL

Be safe
    thanks for the info

Forum Member
    YW love to talk about the differences and similarities. Makes the job more interesting.

Forum Member

I've answered the North Carolina situation before but on the Florida board of all places.

And I'm not knocking anyone, so I don't meant to come off as a smart *** or anything, that's not my intent. But....in short, in North Carolina, Police are Police and Security are Security. Even if it's a private company and the person arrests you, has a gun, etc...if he says police...then he's a police officer. Granted he's a company police officer (and their are three types of those: campus, special and railroad) but a police officer none the less who received his powers through the attorney generals office. I wrote a whole disertation on the NC Company Police program. It's not a bad program really...the Attorney General's office runs it, SBI does polygraphs..some good checks and balances. Unfortunately it plays out differently in real life.

Click here to read all of what I wrote on that. http://forums.officer.com/forums/sho...53&postcount=6

As for South Carolina, with some exceptions security officers can write tickets, thus make arrests. In the summer at the beach we do a lot of transporting for security officers who make arrests for MIP, DIP, UIP (something or other in public). Not saying that's all they write for, but that's typically what they charge. They write the ticket, cuff them and call us for transportation. We take their blue ticket for the arrest (they got from SLED) and transport the prisoner to jail. They are required to show up in court to testify, not us. I'm not sure of all the requirements to be issued ticket books from SLED but they can and do make arrests. Not really in the typical fashion everyone thinks with transportation and coming in the jail (they aren't coming in ours) but with tickets and us doing the backend work.

Forum Member

Just pulled this from SLED's web site for Private Investigations & Private Security: http://www.sled.sc.gov/PI.aspx?MenuID=PI

SECTION 40-18-110. Authority and arrest powers of those licensed or registered under chapter.

A person who is registered or licensed under this chapter and who is hired or employed to provide security services on specific property is granted the authority and arrest power given to sheriff’s deputies. The security officer may arrest a person violating or charged with violating a criminal statute of this State but possesses the powers of arrest only on the property on which he is employed.

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JetTroop View Post
    Just pulled this from SLED's web site for Private Investigations & Private Security: http://www.sled.sc.gov/PI.aspx?MenuID=PI

SECTION 40-18-110. Authority and arrest powers of those licensed or registered under chapter.

A person who is registered or licensed under this chapter and who is hired or employed to provide security services on specific property is granted the authority and arrest power given to sheriff’s deputies. The security officer may arrest a person violating or charged with violating a criminal statute of this State but possesses the powers of arrest only on the property on which he is employed.
    Wow.. I am quite in shock. Yet, that's pretty awesome. Its very interesting to see how other states regulate the private sector. I've always said with property background checks, training....security officers can be a great asset to law enforcement. and with the carolinas granting arrest authority as they do, its awesome, because it will keep LEO's in service for the major events. Rather than being tied up on a petty arrest.

Thanks guys for the great information.

Forum Member

My wife works part time as a security officer unarmed, and the back of her SLED card has this section code on the back of it, but as I said before most companies would probably fire the person for arresting someone. They only take a four hour SLED class to get that card.

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Carolina Deputy View Post

My wife works part time as a security officer unarmed, and the back of her SLED card has this section code on the back of it, but as I said before most companies would probably fire the person for arresting someone. They only take a four hour SLED class to get that card.
    That is quite interesting that SC authorizing such power, without more formal indepth training. However, it's great, because it would free the police and sheriff's to handle the more serious calls.

Forum Member

That is quite interesting that SC authorizing such power, without more formal indepth training. However, it's great, because it would free the police and sheriff's to handle the more serious calls.
    I agree 100% my good man. The only thing is just the liability standpoint. I just hope these officer's use good judgement and think before they do.

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DPS55 View Post
    I agree 100% my good man. The only thing is just the liability standpoint. I just hope these officer's use good judgement and think before they do.
    Why thank you, my brother. I would be willing to bet, that is the main reason why majority of the security companies don't allow their personnel to arrest. Most people don't realize that there is INproper ways of handcuffing. Huge liability indeed.