Thread: TDCJ Academy

Forum Member

TDCJ Academy

Has anyone here been? I was wondering what the academy is like for COs on a day by day basis. What kind of physical condition should I be in?
    Last edited by Dan2230; 05-10-2007 at 05:04 PM.

Now a CO III, yipee
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan2230 View Post
    Has anyone here been? I was wondering what the academy is like for COs on a day by day basis. What kind of physical condition should I be in?
    It has change a lot in the past few months. So any info I can give you would be wrong.
    "Hostages will not be recognized as a means or method of escape from this institution."

Forum Member

As a former TDCJ Sgt. I will say this, It is not hard at all. There is vary little physical or academic challenges in TDCJ’s academy. I have seen and heard many stories of them (Staff) making sure that people pass the academy. So if you are unsure if your going to pass not worry about it You will. I have seen people who weigh well over 350 lbs pass and they can’t even stand for an hour when assigned to a pod.

Forum Member

Really? Why are the standards so low?

Go on, touch it...
    Probably because TDCJ is hurting so bad right now they'll take anyone they can get....damn near like my department

Forum Member

Oh well. I am going for the screening soon. I used to do security so I am used to standing on my feet for 12+ hours. I know corrections isn't no security though.

Forum Member

Oh well. I am going for the screening soon. I used to do security so I am used to standing on my feet for 12+ hours. I know corrections isn't no security though.
    I'm in Federal, and have not worked Texas, however there is more security than you would think. You have to be able to make sure that your area is secure at all times, eh?

Forum Member

TDCJ standards are low due to their retention rate. I couldn't believe the amount of dirty officers and supervisors that are working within those walls. A good example that I can give you is one staff member brought in a gun to an offender (to be used in an escape) and then when he it showed off to another offender he gave it back to the officer who gave it to him to take it off the unit until the shake down was over. That is one of the main reasons for me leaving TDCJ. Honor, Respect and Dignity are thorn out the window when it comes to MONEY in TDCJ. Let me give you a couple of words of advice about the TDCJ staff, do not divulge any personal information to anyone and don’t trust any of them who claim to be your friend. Remember you work around convicts and around future convicts. Don’t get me wrong there are a lot of damn good officers that work there, most of them have been there a long time. Seek those out and pay attention to them.

Field Training Officer
    The academy is a joke, ojt is a joke. You will only start learning when you are assigned to shift and start working and are either accepted by staff or ignored until you quit.

You will see some of the dirtiest officers doing **** you would never imagine.
    Last edited by TX_CO; 05-16-2007 at 11:14 AM.
    the only true rehabilitation starts with a needle............

Now a CO III, yipee
    So sad, but true.
    "Hostages will not be recognized as a means or method of escape from this institution."

NOLAPIG
    What is the official sidearm of tdcj investigators and parole officers?

Forum Member
    TDCJ isn't the only place with bad/dirty staff. These people are everywhere. The problem lies in the fact that these are the pople that make headlines. And it is how the general public looks at C.O.'s. If you need proof of this just watch an episode prison break. This is just what the general public thinks of everyone in corrections.

I am not sure but if they were as through about C.O.'s backgrounds as they are cops then we would get better people.
    Last edited by Dawg; 05-27-2007 at 04:35 PM. Reason: spellinf
    It's a CERT thing. You wouldn't understand.

Field Training Officer
    NOLA- their is no "official" sidearm from what I can find out, IAD (OIG) are certified peace officers and carry off duty mostly as weapons are forbidden inside the units. Parole carry if they qualify and their office director authorizes it, but only on duty as they are not sworn peace officers and have no authority outside of agency policy.

The official sidearm for the agency is the S&W 65 .357 Mag revolver.
    the only true rehabilitation starts with a needle............

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dawg View Post
    TDCJ isn't the only place with bad/dirty staff. These people are everywhere. The problem lies in the fact that these are the pople that make headlines. And it is how the general public looks at C.O.'s. If you need proof of this just watch an episode prison break. This is just what the general public thinks of everyone in corrections.

I am not sure but if they were as through about C.O.'s backgrounds as they are cops then we would get better people.
    Nope. Background checks make little difference. We in the BOP get a thorough background investigation when they hire us and we get reinvestigated every five years. We are overrun with dirty staff and no one cares.

It's all about what you expect from people. If the system's culture has high standards, then most staff will have high standards and so will many inmates. In the feds our managers prefer the path of least resistance so our prisons resemble public housing projects where we let just about everything go except the convicts.
    "Keep up the good fight, pass the word, and teach others to fight back when unjustly assaulted--be it on the street or in the courtroom. Self-defense is a normal, moral act. So teach your family, friends, and students practical defense against both physical and legal marauders." by Jerry VanCook www.PrisonOfficer.Org

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by TX_CO View Post
    NOLA- their is no "official" sidearm from what I can find out, IAD (OIG) are certified peace officers and carry off duty mostly as weapons are forbidden inside the units. Parole carry if they qualify and their office director authorizes it, but only on duty as they are not sworn peace officers and have no authority outside of agency policy.

The official sidearm for the agency is the S&W 65 .357 Mag revolver.
    Do they look like these?

Apparently, TDCJ has turned loose of a few of them: http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...?Item=72886555
    "Keep up the good fight, pass the word, and teach others to fight back when unjustly assaulted--be it on the street or in the courtroom. Self-defense is a normal, moral act. So teach your family, friends, and students practical defense against both physical and legal marauders." by Jerry VanCook www.PrisonOfficer.Org

Now a CO III, yipee
    I only laid it down for a second, honest.

Go on, touch it...
    The OIG's carry those?? I would think they would carry semi autos. Now I know the rank and file transport units carry those. My God, could they give y'all any less secure holsters??

Now a CO III, yipee
    Quote Originally Posted by JSD73 View Post
    The OIG's carry those?? I would think they would carry semi autos. Now I know the rank and file transport units carry those. My God, could they give y'all any less secure holsters??
    It is a "one size fits all" holster. Seems to be that way with a lot of the stuff we use.

NOLAPIG
    Can ya'll explain what OIG does within the TDCJ? Are they the IAD arm within the organization?

Go on, touch it...
    Correct me if I'm wrong as I'm not a TDCJ employee but the Investigator (a member of the Office of the Inspector General) investigates all inmate complaints against COs, misconduct, inmate on inmate crimes, and heads up the investigation when there is an escape. So, yes, in a nutshell they are the IAD's of TDCJ

NOLAPIG
    Quote Originally Posted by JSD73 View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong as I'm not a TDCJ employee but the Investigator (a member of the Office of the Inspector General) investigates all inmate complaints against COs, misconduct, inmate on inmate crimes, and heads up the investigation when there is an escape. So, yes, in a nutshell they are the IAD's of TDCJ
    thanks for the info

Forum Member

Like a lot of things, you get out of it what you put into it. You will learn a lot more when you get to your unit, but there are things you can learn in the academy. Pay attention in class and listen to your instructors. Some of them will pass on good practical knowledge.

You go to class every day. You have some lecture classes, some DT (Defensive Tactics) classes, some PT (Physical Training) classes. I think in the last couple of years (from what I have seen at inservice) the physical training is not emphasized as much.

Being in shape of course helps but no matter what shape you are in you will make it.

You will also have a firearms class and be expected to qualify with a pistol, rifle, and a shotgun. You will also get a little taste of chemical agents.

When you get to your unit be teachable. Don't be a know it all. Listen to the veteran officers. They can give you some good pointers and save you some pitfalls.

Yeah, there are some dirty bosses in the system, but there are a lot of good bosses too. Become a good hard working security minded boss. You have to follow rules. Make sure the offenders (inmates) follow the rules they are supposed to. If you go in going hard you will have fewer problems than if you go in as a soft boss.

When you get to your unit remember that the offenders are criminals. Don't trust a single one of them. They will try to run games on you and try to make you think of them as a friend or a coworker (you will work around some of the same inmate workers a lot.) Don't forget who they are and who you are.

In evey class that comes to my unit someone has a relationship with an inmate or brings in something for them. Please don't fall for their games. You are essentially a cop surrounded by bad guys. You are a front line soldier in the war on crime. Remember that.

If somebody in grey has an inmate pulled over talking to him in the hallway stop and back him up. You are a part of a team. More than that. Over time as you find yourself in different confrontational situations and other officers back you up and you back them up you will begin to think of some of them more as brothers and sisters.

Welcome to grey. Go hard.

Forum Member

I have written a book called KISSED BY MY ENEMIES. It is about my 13 years as an Officer for Texas an Arizona. BARNES & NOBLE click my name (Will Ballew)search. Before you decide to join TDCJ you WILL want to read this. Best 271 pages you'll ever read, Guaranteed.