Forum Member

State Police Vs Local

Hello everyone, have a few questions to ask.

What exactly is the difference between local police officers and state police, im sure this is a very general question, but anything you could offer would be greatly appreciated.

Receiving my associates next december, and want to apply to become a PSP. But I also don't want to waste a lot of time, so was thinking of doing IUP's Criminal Justice Training Center (act 120) in the mean time. I was figuring if I didn't get into PSP , i could just just my act 120 to become a local cop. (prefer PSP) Would having Act 120 certification help me in the PSP process?

Sorry it's late, this may not be totally coherent, but you all have been great help in the past.

*Particuliarly one of you who spent a good amount of time sending me thorough answers to my questions, my emails got deleted and forgot who in particuliar it was, but thank you!*

tua
    Forum Member

Well, a big difference is that most dept. in PA require you to have the Act 120 before applying whereas the state police do not. So most likely you'll have to fork up the cash yourself for the certification. I do not know how much having the Act 120 will help you to get into PSP.

Bored

Like Tua said, Act 120 will NOT help in the State academy except that you will have the answers for all the tests....
    The PSP doesnt care how much experience or training you have had, everyone goes thru the entire 6 months again. BUT for local PDs short of a big city having it will help, but experience will help too. Its the old adage, Cant get credit without a credit card, cant get a credit card without credit.
    Cant get a job in PA without experience, cant get experience without a job.

Go to Arizona, they are hiring tons.
    I got nothing for now

Forum Member

I was figuring since i wont have my associates until the end of december 07, that means I can apply to the PSP in december, but i would have missed the deadline for the '08 class, unless i'm wrong in that regard. I figured instead of going to temple for Criminal justice I could do the ACT 120 at IUP to give myself some experience/knowledge in that field and mentally be more prepared for the PSP process.

Forum Member
    Mentally prepare yourself by accepting the fact that you will be away from your family for approximately 3 1/2 years. Physically prepare yourself by running hills and swimming.

Act 120 isn't going to get you mentally prepared for PSP.

Forum Member

I'm not implying that ACT 120 is going to make the process a cake walk, my reasoning for the post was basically asking, in the downtime of waiting to go through the process, would it be beneficial in a meaningful way to be act 120 certified.

I understand the challenge PSP is, but want to do what I can (not just physically) to be the best i can be, if ACT 120 cert would improve that, I see it as beneficial.

Forum Member

I cannot speak from experience on PSP or ACT 120( i am waitng on IUP to start a class locally in my area) but I do think that any training is a plus no matter what. ACT 120 might not apply to PSP but its still exposure to LE. Worst case you get your ACT 120 then not get accepted to PSP or it take 2 years or more to get there now you have something to fall back on.

Just my thoughts on it.

Forum Member

is it looked down upon to start as a local cop, work for 2 years, then leave to go through the psp process, if accepted?

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Zims
    would it be beneficial in a meaningful way to be act 120 certified.
    My opinion, No. If you want to find a job as a local, I think that's beneficial to PSP.

Quote Originally Posted by Zims
    is it looked down upon to start as a local cop, work for 2 years, then leave to go through the psp process, if accepted?
    Again, my opinion, No. I don't think it's looked down upon as long as you don't have a "Well we did it this way in my old department" attitude.

Forum Member

Zims

just wondering, why would you prefer to be a trooper instead of a municipal officer?

MPSoldier84
    Quote Originally Posted by Up_On_Base
    If you don't want to pay for Act 120 and want some great training try going Federal (USSS-UD, USCP, CIA Police, NSA Police, USPP), the job itself is very boring, more security (except USPP) than anything but the training is great.

It looks great on a resume, get a TS clearance, and make 70K + w/ OT first year.

I would still apply to PSP, probably a better job if you want to be more enforcement.
    Not all Federal 0083 jobs are security. All of them have elements of security in them, but many 0083 positions are just like municipal law enforcement. Most VA Police Departments (Lebanon and Coatesville for example) Have entire campuses to patrol. The U.S. Park Police have a large part of a jurisdiction in D.C. and they are hiring. And PFPA is a great agency to get into.. though the hiring process is probably just as long as PSP for them.

Also I think I read on USAJOBS.com that the Park Rangers were hiring in Gettysburg. That's a sweet job, and if you want to stay near New York/New Jersey, check with the Park Service Rangers Barracks in the Delaware Water Gap. The Rangers are pretty hard to get in with, they are usually hired within. Similar to USMS.. the best way to get into either the Marshalls Service or the Park Service is by interning or working as a temporary Ranger.

Problem with Federal 0083, 0082, 0025, or 1811 jobs.. they tend to want prior service, federal transfers, or people with well-rounded qualifications. Fed's not a bad job to grab, especially if it's 6c covered.

Never look at just the GS tables because there are tons of special pays that are not included like Sunday Premium, Night Differentials, LEAP (If it's a 6c Position), Retention Pays, and you're guarenteed 8 paid hollidays a year at double time.

Only issue.. Health Benefits aren't the best, the AFGE sucks as a union (but you can always join your local FOP), and unless your 6c covered.. the pension isn't that good (though the TSP is a pretty good program).

Forum Member

Zims
    What exactly is the difference between local police officers and state police, im sure this is a very general question, but anything you could offer would be greatly appreciated.
    You are right it is too general of a question.
    Receiving my associates next december, and want to apply to become a PSP. But I also don't want to waste a lot of time, so was thinking of doing IUP's Criminal Justice Training Center (act 120) in the mean time. I was figuring if I didn't get into PSP , i could just just my act 120 to become a local cop. (prefer PSP) Would having Act 120 certification help me in the PSP process?
    Yes it would help as it relates to
    * 60 semester credit hours waived for those applicants with two full years as a full-time police officer as certified by the Municipal Police Officers’ Education and Training Commission (MPOETC).
    Get your degree now and don't wait. A college education appears to be sought after in todays world.
    No.