Forum Member

Sheriff Security Officer

I currently work as an in house armed security officer for a high profile county facility. The benefits here are decent and the pay isn't awful, at least by security industry standards.

I recently applied for a position as a security officer for the L.A. county Sheriff's department and was wondering what the process/job entailed. I believe the pay STARTS around $15 per hour which is around what I'm making now and I assume the benefits would be better.

Another officer I work with said working as a Security officer for the City of Los Angeles offers better benefits and higher pay but I haven't been able to find out much about it.

I tried getting into the LACOPS, which does pretty much exactly what I do now, only with post and academy training, but at 48 years of age they were just looking for an excuse to DQ me, which they did, when I failed a couple questions on the polygraph.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Unit15
    I currently work as an in house armed security officer for a high profile county facility. The benefits here are decent and the pay isn't awful, at least by security industry standards.

I recently applied for a position as a security officer for the L.A. county Sheriff's department and was wondering what the process/job entailed. I believe the pay STARTS around $15 per hour which is around what I'm making now and I assume the benefits would be better.

Another officer I work with said working as a Security officer for the City of Los Angeles offers better benefits and higher pay but I haven't been able to find out much about it.

I tried getting into the LACOPS, which does pretty much exactly what I do now, only with post and academy training, but at 48 years of age they were just looking for an excuse to DQ me, which they did, when I failed a couple questions on the polygraph.

LASD has county security officers assigned to court houses, Trasnsit Services Bureau (sub way, light rail system) and other county buildings. They work the front door and screen people coming into court. Alot of the security officers seem to like it. Some become Deps after a while. I would look into being a custody assistant. They make considerably more than security officers.
    Last edited by Five-0fromSoCal; 04-14-2007 at 06:47 PM.

South central escapee...
    I work for the City of L.A. and the security officers make a "Decent wage"-$39K to $47K/yr. The training is varied,but starting to be unified as most security units work under the control of the Los Angeles city Office of Public Safety(General services Police Div),with LAPD,Airport Police,Port Police, L.A.Park Rangers Div, and Dept of Water and Power hiring security officers seperate from OPS-DWP pays about 5% higher for security officers and sends them thru the reserve and sometimes Basic police academy at rio hondo,while security officers in the other Depts sending their officers only to PC 832 training at Rio hondo.although the security officers are trained in firearms ,only those assigned to LAPD are armed( they guard LAPD training facilities and equip sites).but you will be issued body armor,sam browne with baton,handcuffs,and OC spray"to protect yourself".

city security officers are basically visible deterence forces and are not normally expected to take any enforcement action other than an occasional citation issuance,veh impound ,or property recovery,detention of "non combative" misd suspects-mainly observe and report,although some Airport Security personnel try to make arrests-much to the chagrin of Airport PD and LAPD,and the Park Rangers Park patrol units are always stirring up stuff! The class code is #3181 and you need to put in an interest card with the city to be notified for the next opening test date-the job ,like DOT traffic officer,is very popular and brings out tons of priv.security officers trying to move "up" ;best to pick up the Arco/Pass book at the local library for security officer exams and study it before testing.go to www.lacity.org for more info( look for jobs section)
    Last edited by DOAcop38; 04-14-2007 at 07:56 PM.

Forum Member

I just wanted to thank the 2 officers who took the time to reply. I was a little concerned since these were "security" and not LE related questions that they'd be ignored.

I did pick up a used copy of the Arco book before testing with LACOPS. I'd also been running and working out regularly and thought I was ready for anything they'd throw at me in the academy.

Course I didn't realize just how difficult the hiring process was for LE. There's lots of hoops to jump through. I figured once they started questioning current and former employers about my work ethics and found out what kind of an employee and person I was that they'd roll out the red carpet for me..course they never got that far in the process..I hardly made it out of the starting blocks!

South central escapee...
    good luck in your quest for a municipal security job- there will be alot of restrictions as well as demands placed on you,compared to working contract private security.

Forum Member

apply to lasd

last few classes had like 2 49 year olds. lapd and lasd are apples and oranges. i did both processes and la city friggin sucks (not lapd, the civilian aspects of it)

with county, I felt like a friggin' paying customer, as you should when dealing with tax funded entities.