New Computer System for Warrants in PA

Please help a Great White North LEO understand this:
    http://www.officer.com/article/artic...&siteSection=1

What is with this? Is that not what NCIC and your State CIC systems are for?

Up here, if I have arrested Joe DOOFUS for an offence, released him appear in Court, sworn out an Information, forward the original documents to the Court Clerk, pass the Court file onto the Prosecutor and DOOFUS fails to appear, the Court Clerk sends me the Warrant, I give it to my clerk and she enters it on CPIC. Now, when cst.sb stops DOOFUS, he will see that I am looking for him. Given the distance between me and cst.sb, unless it is a very serious offence, cst.sb will not arrest DOOFUS, but being the fine, up-standing and ever-sharp Police Constable that he is, he will let me know that he dealt with DOOFUS. OR, if cst.sb has new charges on DOOFUS, HOPEFULLY his JP or Judge will agree to hold DOOFUS on remand due to his history of FTA.

So, given the news article, I take it that the Police do NOT receive the Warrants back from the Court, or are things just a little out of whack down there with the Courts?

Forum Member
    I think what this means, and I could be wrong, is that all warrants are not entered into NCIC or our state systems. Many large cities will only have their local criminal and traffic warrants issued in their city system, and outside of the city/county, nobody else will know about them.

I believe there is certain criteria for entering warrants into NCIC, and only serious felony offenses can be entered, ie: murder, sexual assault, etc.

This system is so everybody can access warrants, be it traffic tickets or other warrants, and i assume some major warrants may be overlapped into NCIC or their state system.

Aopc

Quote Originally Posted by PeteBroccolo
    Please help a Great White North LEO understand this:
    http://www.officer.com/article/artic...&siteSection=1

What is with this? Is that not what NCIC and your State CIC systems are for?

Up here, if I have arrested Joe DOOFUS for an offence, released him appear in Court, sworn out an Information, forward the original documents to the Court Clerk, pass the Court file onto the Prosecutor and DOOFUS fails to appear, the Court Clerk sends me the Warrant, I give it to my clerk and she enters it on CPIC. Now, when cst.sb stops DOOFUS, he will see that I am looking for him. Given the distance between me and cst.sb, unless it is a very serious offence, cst.sb will not arrest DOOFUS, but being the fine, up-standing and ever-sharp Police Constable that he is, he will let me know that he dealt with DOOFUS. OR, if cst.sb has new charges on DOOFUS, HOPEFULLY his JP or Judge will agree to hold DOOFUS on remand due to his history of FTA.

So, given the news article, I take it that the Police do NOT receive the Warrants back from the Court, or are things just a little out of whack down there with the Courts?
    I got a memo on this at work the other day. How it works now is certain warrants (bench warrants, SCOFFLAW, summary traffic) are not entered into NCIC... at least they never pop up for me... And in Philadelphia's case, they have PCIC (their own country, their own system) which we out in the counties call to check when we run into people out of the city. AOPC's new system SHOULD include all of this w/ one simple check. It's apparently going to make it easier for inter-county use, or something like that. After I read a while, I get more confused.

Forum Member
    I am speaking from the way Texas does things here. Texas has NCIC and its Texas version TCIC. Both TCIC and NCIC will not allow you to enter certain types of warrants, ie traffic, public intoxication, etc. These are referred to as Class C Misd warrants. What this part of Texas did was create another database within TCIC called SETCIC or South East Texas Crime Information Center. Several counties enter there warrants into this system so that they will show up when you run someone. Its a nice system, but expensive. It does not cost anything for an agency to inquiry into SETCIC but to enter warrants into it is a flat fee of $3000 per year and $.10 per warrant. Kinda steep but it works.

After reading it, it's a court computer system only. Your MDC's and Dispatchers will not have access to it. So for all intents and purposes, it doesn't really mean anything for the patrol officers. Other then your county deputies might be called to their local courthouse more often to arrest people.
    MrJim911

Someone once told me that time is a predator that stalks us all our lives. But maybe time is also a companion who goes with us on our journey, and reminds us to cherish the moments of our lives because they will never come again

Forum Member
    I am a State Constable in PA, with my primary duties serving arrest warrants. I would say 75% of them are for scofflaws.

PA is quite weird in that before this system was in place a person could be wanted in a different county and be stopped and run through NCIC and Locals and let go.

Now with this, we have access to all warrants, from Scofflaw to Murder anywhere in the state and that includes Philly's court records.

As was printed last week in a local news paper, there are 1.4 million active warrants in PA.

As for this system not being utilized by the patrol officer, it already is...This statewide system is now in place and should be standard use by the end of the year and this goes for the communications centers as well.

I am already getting phone calls from local PDs as far away as 200 miles from my area stating they have a person I have a warrant on pulled over for a traffic stop.

PSP is calling me almost 10 times a week. I am making alot of money and the courts are getting their warrants cleared.

This is a great tool that I use as well because I can run a person statewide and see what if any they have elsewhere. I can tell you that more then 80% of the people I have warrants on have them elsewhere as well.

I cleared a felony 95 warrant the other week by checking on the person I just arrested for a traffic warrant.

Couldn't believe it but it was true that this person was able to have numerous contact with the police over a 12 year period and not be apprehended for the felony warrant???

I love this new system!

G-man
    1*

WOW! I would have NEVER thought the various systems in the USA were as "provincial" as that!

CPIC *USED* to have "Local-wide-only" entry restrictions for Municipal By-Law warrants so that only Pinky PS would get a "hit" back on a Wanted entry for a Bench Warrant for failing-to-appear on a dog-running-at-large charge under the Pinky by-law. Now, such a Want entry is restricted to Province-wide-only, the same as Provincial Statue offences such as liquor, hunting/fishing or traffic violations.

Criminal Code (impaired driving, assault, break & enter, fraud) and Federal Statute (drugs, immigration, customs, copyright) violations are entered Canada-wide, but will only result in an arrest in another Province if they are serious enough.

cst.sb will not see my warrant for DOOFUS on a liquor ticket, nor would I see cst.sb's such charge on DOOFUS if I find DOOFUS out here on the bald prairie, but either of us would be able to see the other's charge of Impaired Driving against DOOFUS if we deal with DOOFUS. Unfortunately, we would not necessarily get a free trip to drag DOOFUS back from the other's jurisdiction!

Forum Member
    Since we are on the topic of arrest warrants I thought that I would pass along this story from earlier this week. I probably ****ed off a city cop, but I'll bet he will get over it. Anyway, I am a county deputy sheriff and I monitored our communications center give the city an alarm call at a residence in their city. I am in a plain car and wear civilian clothes, but I still run in on calls if I am close. I am the first on the scene and find a guy in the house. He tells me that he accidentally tripped the alarm. No big deal, but I get identification from him and run him through dispatch. The PD arrives and a few minutes later disaptch advses that the guy has three warrants. No felonies, but two of the three are body only from the adjacent county about a mile away. The PD guy sees that the dude in a personal care attendant for someone else in the home and tells us that he will just advise the guy and not arrest him. I basically said that although they won't arrest him, I will arrrest him. (The PD officer even asked me why I had ran a warrant check on him in the first place.) I made the guy call someone to take over his PCA duties and I dropped him off at the jail of the bordering county. It is not like I have never let someone go on a warrant, but something about it just doesn't seem right to me to not arrest on a warrant. Obviously extenuating circumstances can come into play. A few times I have actually called one of our judges and explained the circumstances to them if the subject had overwhelming medical issues or whatever. I figure that way I am covered in case someone reviews the incident and wants to know I didn't arrest someone on a warrant. Oh, one more thing, one of our deputies years ago got a one day suspension when the brass found out that he had run across someone with a warrant and intentionally diod not arrest him. I would be curious to hear from you guys and gals when and if you do not arrest on warrants in your areas on felonies vs. misdemeanors, night-capped vs. non-night-capped, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by G-MAN
    I am a State Constable in PA, with my primary duties serving arrest warrants. I would say 75% of them are for scofflaws.

PA is quite weird in that before this system was in place a person could be wanted in a different county and be stopped and run through NCIC and Locals and let go.

Now with this, we have access to all warrants, from Scofflaw to Murder anywhere in the state and that includes Philly's court records.

As was printed last week in a local news paper, there are 1.4 million active warrants in PA.

As for this system not being utilized by the patrol officer, it already is...This statewide system is now in place and should be standard use by the end of the year and this goes for the communications centers as well.

I am already getting phone calls from local PDs as far away as 200 miles from my area stating they have a person I have a warrant on pulled over for a traffic stop.

PSP is calling me almost 10 times a week. I am making alot of money and the courts are getting their warrants cleared.

This is a great tool that I use as well because I can run a person statewide and see what if any they have elsewhere. I can tell you that more then 80% of the people I have warrants on have them elsewhere as well.

I cleared a felony 95 warrant the other week by checking on the person I just arrested for a traffic warrant.

Couldn't believe it but it was true that this person was able to have numerous contact with the police over a 12 year period and not be apprehended for the felony warrant???

I love this new system!

G-man
    1*
    If the warrants are extraditable statewide why weren't they entered into the statewide system that was already in place? Or was there not one?

In Illinois their are geo limits on every warrant except some felonies of course, geo limits can be the whole state, surrounding states, or just certain counties nearby the arresting agency. But once entered into the system they are accessible to anyone with access to LEADS (in-state system).
    MrJim911

Someone once told me that time is a predator that stalks us all our lives. But maybe time is also a companion who goes with us on our journey, and reminds us to cherish the moments of our lives because they will never come again

Forum Member
    Quite often on traffic stops we 'd get a hit out of say Birmingham/Jefferson County Alabama for FTA. Then dispatch would advise originating agency would pick up only in Jefferson or adjacent counties. I'd have the guy stopped in Montgomery County. What action ? Cite for the violation I stopped him for, and advise him to take care of the warrant in Jefferson County. Understand that these are misdemeanor warrants. Happens quite often.

MPSoldier84
    See Pennsylvania has this thing... where I think it TRULY believes it's not a state (hence the "commonwealth" of Pennsylvania) or part of the union.. That's why very few people enter anything into NCIC.

Forum Member

Warrants in Pa.

The City of Montgomery Alabama does not enter local or misdemeanor warrants into NCIC. That's not a slam, in fact, it's a good policy, considering the large volume of misdemeanor warrants MPD holds. What I used to do was have my dispatch check with MPD regarding warrants. If I got a hit/confirmation, subject was enroute to the City Jail. Either I'd take him, or MPD would come and get him. Worked out real well.