Page 1 of 279 12341151101 ... Last
Like Tree500Likes

Thread: NYC Auxiliary Police Members

  1. #1
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    160

    Question NYC Auxiliary Police Members

    I was wondering how may NYC Auxiliary Police Officers/Supervisors utilize this website? If so what command you're volunteering out of?

  2. #2
    NYPD APO. & Future BTO

    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    new york
    Posts
    95
    I'm enrolled in the program , My command is the 120 precinct. And furthermore I cannot wait to get my shield, and be instated as an APO.

  3. #3
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    8
    Just Got Shielded In Mid February, volunteering out of the 77th Precinct,
    "Move Or $115"

  4. #4
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    160

    Cool NYPD Auxiliary Police Members

    Hey 75 Pct here A/Deputy Inspector with 15 years on.

  5. #5
    Forum Member
    JohnDoe61's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    134
    10th week in the class. Cant wait to get on already. In the 61 pct. of Brooklyn.

  6. #6
    Forum Member
    JohnDoe61's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    134
    btw I heard rumors of everyone getting vests from the city...any truth to this?

  7. #7
    NYPD APO. & Future BTO

    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    new york
    Posts
    95
    yes there is truth by the end of the year we should all be vested.

  8. #8
    Forum Member
    JohnDoe61's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    134
    damn passover havent had a class is three weeks im bummed.....

  9. #9
    Forum Member
    JohnDoe61's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    134
    Took the test last night. I passed. Next week we start out self defense training.

  10. #10
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    52
    Can someone explain how the exams are like?

  11. #11
    NYPD A/Sgt

    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    70
    I am also an NYPD Auxiliary. I work out of Transit. I have been doing it for 1 year now and I really enjoy it. For me it provides a change of pace from my office HR job and I feel that I can really help the community.

    This is from the Auxiliary Wiki site:

    Auxiliary Police Officers must pass a 16-week Auxiliary Police Basic training course which is classified as a Part Time Peace Officer training required by the New York State Municipal Police Training Council. This class meets once a week for 16 weeks. This training includes penal law, radio use, unarmed self defense, first aid, use of a police baton and arrest procedures. A written and physical exam in given at the end of training. Upon the completion of the basic training course probationary Auxiliary Police officers are issued their shield and police identification card along with their nightstick and initial uniform. They are classified as Part-Time Peace Officers by the New York State Division of Criminal Justice Services-Municipal Police Training Council and are registered as peace officers in the NYS DCJS registry of peace officers.

    All Auxiliary Police Officers are required by New York State to pass an annual refresher course in the use of force with the nightstick, arrest procedures, and Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO).

  12. #12
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    52
    What is the written exam about?

    Is it about what you learned during the training?

    Can you study for the exam?

    Also are there any official NYPD Auxiliary website that explains when the classes starts or when do you need to go to get the finger printed.
    Last edited by Zero4749; 01-01-2008 at 07:32 PM.

  13. #13
    NYPD A/Sgt

    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    70
    Quote Originally Posted by Zero4749 View Post
    What is the written exam about?

    Is it about what you learned during the training?

    Can you study for the exam?

    Also are there any official NYPD Auxiliary website that explains when the classes starts or when do you need to go to get the finger printed.
    Yes, the written exam is about material taught during training. You can study for it. You will receive a hard copy of all materials taught in training.

    There is no official NYPD website that explains when classes start but your best bet is to walk into the precinct or transit district that you would like to volunteer and the desk officer when the Auxiliary coordinator will be in. The Auxiliary coordinator will be in charge of helping you with your paperwork including fingerprints, background checks and advising you when the next class would be.

    Auxiliary coordinators are regular NYPD officers or detectives which are assigned as our commanding officer and department liaison.

    If interested please visit this site, it has alot of useful information on the NYPD Auxiliary program:

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nypd_Auxiliary

  14. #14
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    ny
    Posts
    14
    are the aluxiliary police issued a parking card for parking at or around the precinct?

  15. #15
    Doing 25 yrs,8hrs a day
    PJ06's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    270
    Quote Originally Posted by sheonb View Post
    I am also an NYPD Auxiliary. I work out of Transit. I have been doing it for 1 year now and I really enjoy it. For me it provides a change of pace from my office HR job and I feel that I can really help the community.

    This is from the Auxiliary Wiki site:

    Auxiliary Police Officers must pass a 16-week Auxiliary Police Basic training course which is classified as a Part Time Peace Officer training required by the New York State Municipal Police Training Council. This class meets once a week for 16 weeks. This training includes penal law, radio use, unarmed self defense, first aid, use of a police baton and arrest procedures. A written and physical exam in given at the end of training. Upon the completion of the basic training course probationary Auxiliary Police officers are issued their shield and police identification card along with their nightstick and initial uniform. They are classified as Part-Time Peace Officers by the New York State Division of Criminal Justice Services-Municipal Police Training Council and are registered as peace officers in the NYS DCJS registry of peace officers.

    All Auxiliary Police Officers are required by New York State to pass an annual refresher course in the use of force with the nightstick, arrest procedures, and Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO).

    Do you have to go through all that if you are a peace officer ?
    I'm with NYSDOCS

  16. #16
    NYPD A/Sgt

    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    70
    Quote Originally Posted by PJ06 View Post
    Do you have to go through all that if you are a peace officer ?
    I'm with NYSDOCS
    Yes, you still have to go through all of this even if you are already a full time NY peace officer.

    By the way we do have many NYDOCS, NYC Corrections, NYS Court officers and even NY Parole officers doing NYC Auxiliary.

    Most commands do not issue Auxiliary Police officers parking permits or placards but they do have ways of identifying Auxiliary personal cars without permits.

  17. #17
    Pekkier
    Guest
    Thanks for the info, i just don't want to be ticketed when on duty and my car parked right in front or around the precinct

  18. #18
    Doing 25 yrs,8hrs a day
    PJ06's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    270
    Quote Originally Posted by sheonb View Post
    Yes, you still have to go through all of this even if you are already a full time NY peace officer.

    By the way we do have many NYDOCS, NYC Corrections, NYS Court officers and even NY Parole officers doing NYC Auxiliary.

    Thanks for the info

  19. #19
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    52
    - I've seen an Auxiliary officer showing off his shield off duty but why would he show it off if it doesn't hold any kind of power?


    - After the Auxiliary graduation, how much do you have to pay for equipments and for the shoe?
    Last edited by Zero4749; 01-04-2008 at 02:22 AM.

  20. #20
    NYPD APO. & Future BTO

    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    new york
    Posts
    95

    Uniform voucher

    Quote Originally Posted by Zero4749 View Post
    -
    - After the Auxiliary graduation, how much do you have to pay for equipments and for the shoe?



    After you graduate the training for Aux. (if you could even call it a graduation) You get a uniform voucher to be used at 1 Police Plaza. This covers your long sleeve shirt, 4 Aux patches, long jacket, tie, tie clip, cap , pen holder, baton holder, cap device, baton, whistle, flashlight holder, memo book cover, collar brass, wool patrol pants, and trouser belt.


    Other stuff like your short sleeve shirt , duty belt , handcuffs, handcuff case, other patrol pants, shield backing, shield and ID holder, radio holder, flashlight, boots, and putting the patches on. You have to get yourself . Most of this equipment can be bought at 1PP. Hope that helps.
    " I will assume you all have guns and crack!"


    TBTA: 88.235
    List#920-940

  21. #21
    NYPD A/Sgt

    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    70
    Quote Originally Posted by Zero4749 View Post
    - I've seen an Auxiliary officer showing off his shield off duty but why would he show it off if it doesn't hold any kind of power?


    - After the Auxiliary graduation, how much do you have to pay for equipments and for the shoe?
    Let us keep in mind that all Police Departments whether Auxiliary or regular have their fair share of people that do dumb things. The above being one of them.
    Lima23 likes this.

  22. #22
    The Limey

    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    1,003
    Very interesting thread. So are Aux. officers paid? Receive expenses? What kind of baton do you/they carry? And finally, what's the deal with not being issued body armour? Heck, there are parts of my green and pleasant land where paramedics and bus drivers are issued body armour ...
    I'm a little bit waayy, a little bit wooah, a little bit woosh, I'm a geezer.

  23. #23
    NYPD APO. & Future BTO

    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    new york
    Posts
    95

    Smile hm,

    Quote Originally Posted by Cockney Corner. View Post
    Very interesting thread. So are Aux. officers paid? Receive expenses? What kind of baton do you/they carry? And finally, what's the deal with not being issued body armour? Heck, there are parts of my green and pleasant land where paramedics and bus drivers are issued body armour ...


    NYPD Auxiliary do not get paid however at the end of the fiscal year they do receive a check which is for uniform maintenance. We carry a wooden baton 24 to 26 inches in length with a leather strap on it. And we are in the process of being issued body armor, my fitting is next month. For the time being the precinct's Aux. unit has an allotted amount of vests that get signed out when the officer signs the 10 sheet during roll call and then get returned and cleaned/disinfected at the end of the tour.( I make sure I disinfect which ever I get before I take it out too)

    Any other questions just ask... I know I'm not the only APO answering here lol. Help me out.
    " I will assume you all have guns and crack!"


    TBTA: 88.235
    List#920-940

  24. #24
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    52
    Quote Originally Posted by Neurotoxinx@hot View Post
    Other stuff like your short sleeve shirt , duty belt , handcuffs, handcuff case, other patrol pants, shield backing, shield and ID holder, radio holder, flashlight, boots, and putting the patches on. You have to get yourself . Most of this equipment can be bought at 1PP. Hope that helps.

    Probably might end up spending Around $200-$250

  25. #25
    NYPD APO. & Future BTO

    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    new york
    Posts
    95

    Yes

    Quote Originally Posted by nycool2 View Post
    Your doing fine. Now I have a question I am interested in joining and saw the website and all, it says if your 17 you can join with your parents permission
    is there anybody that young there?
    In my command we have a kid whos 17 , well now hes 18 but he's very immature I hate going on patrol with him it's like babysitting.
    " I will assume you all have guns and crack!"


    TBTA: 88.235
    List#920-940

Page 1 of 279 12341151101 ... Last

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Log in

Click here to log in or register