Page 1 of 433 12341151101 ... Last
Like Tree892Likes

Thread: Baltimore City Police Department Q&A

10-47

Baltimore City Police Department Q&A

Hi guys, I’ve spoken on the phone with recruiters and am hoping to participate in an upcoming round of the out of state four day testing after I whip myself into shape (BPD PAT standards are far stricter than my state’s).

1. Is the crime problem in some neighborhoods really as bad as Dan Rodricks and everyone says it is? Although I’ve been to Baltimore before, I didn’t see any indicators. I just want to know what I may be getting into.

2. Is it "easy" to get on with BPD? Is it a highly competitive process? I've got a clean history, no arrests, one moving violation/accident due to snowy conditions, been fired once, no bad debts (although I had some in the past), absolutely no drug use ever, equivalent of two years of college, a government “community services” oriented job and I volunteer with the county court and probation authority dealing with low risk felons. That said, I'm curious about my chances despite I’ve heard that it is one of the easier departments to get on with. From other threads I’ve gleaned that the test is relatively simple, the PAT not too trying and the BPD background check is swift process.

3. How long does it take for a highly motivated, intelligent person to move around in the department?

I've also heard that:
    Tasers and ASP batons are not issued/used, Is this true? Tasers are essentially standard issue equipment in my state.

I’ve read and been told that the majority of MDT/CAD systems in BPD squad cars do not work. You must have the world's greatest dispatchers!

Thank you in advance to all BPD who take the time to respond. If you’ve already responded personally to my questions before, no need to address any of these. I’m excited to go through the selection process, I’ve always thought highly of the BPD! Be safe out there guys.

10-47

Bump for any of Baltimore's finest that care to reply, it would be appreciated.
    Mattpudin likes this.

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kashihara
    Hi guys, I’ve spoken on the phone with recruiters and am hoping to participate in an upcoming round of the out of state four day testing after I whip myself into shape (BPD PAT standards are far stricter than my state’s).

1. Is the crime problem in some neighborhoods really as bad as Dan Rodricks and everyone says it is? Although I’ve been to Baltimore before, I didn’t see any indicators. I just want to know what I may be getting into.

2. Is it "easy" to get on with BPD? Is it a highly competitive process? I've got a clean history, no arrests, one moving violation/accident due to snowy conditions, been fired once, no bad debts (although I had some in the past), absolutely no drug use ever, equivalent of two years of college, a government “community services” oriented job and I volunteer with the county court and probation authority dealing with low risk felons. That said, I'm curious about my chances despite I’ve heard that it is one of the easier departments to get on with. From other threads I’ve gleaned that the test is relatively simple, the PAT not too trying and the BPD background check is swift process.

3. How long does it take for a highly motivated, intelligent person to move around in the department?

I've also heard that:
    Tasers and ASP batons are not issued/used, Is this true? Tasers are essentially standard issue equipment in my state.

I’ve read and been told that the majority of MDT/CAD systems in BPD squad cars do not work. You must have the world's greatest dispatchers!

Thank you in advance to all BPD who take the time to respond. If you’ve already responded personally to my questions before, no need to address any of these. I’m excited to go through the selection process, I’ve always thought highly of the BPD! Be safe out there guys.

1. YES
    2. No, it is too easy. That is one of the problems.
    3. No. Advancements out of the patrol is one of the only benefits to the city. I have seen guys who measure their patrol career in months not years (Although that is rare). That being said, I also know some exceptional officers who can't get out of patrol. You have got show you willing to go beyond what the average patrolman will do. Also, make your supervisors happy. Knowing someone doesn't hurt either.

We have batons, but no tasers. And frankly the thought of a taser in some peoples hands is not good. I have been maced by other officers several times, I don't want to be shocked. Personally, I am not into all those gadgets. Gimme a good ole knock down drag out. OLD SCHOOL, BABY! Then I again, I am bigger guy, so I can see how some might use them. The spray is good for dogs.

As for computers in the car, they are trying to get more up and running as the department gets more computer savy officers. They spent alot of money putting in the computers several years ago. The old timers used them as lunch trays in the car. They talk alot about getting all the newer cars computers.....(breathe held).
    Crazed, ret2991 and arsenalpd like this.

10-47

Again, thanks for the info- it is appreciated. One would think that because the cities crime problems are so immense and that there have been some recent high-profile cases of "bad eggs" in the department that hiring standards would have become more strict. But then again, as I get older it seems like ain't much logic in the way city government works (speaking as a local gov't employee myself). Guess they are really hungry for officers.

My skeletons are few so I'm breathing a sigh of relief in the hopes I'll pass the background and I feel I could contribute to the efforts of the great officers in Baltimore, so I'm taking the testing plunge this summer!

Anyone else with any more information please feel free to share (yes I've done a search and read through all threads pertaining to the BPD ).

Forum Member
    Your welcome and anytime.

I should qualify the taser thing. Sgts have taser in their vehicle. So patrol has access but you don't get one as standard equipment.

Forum Member

I've also heard that:

Here's my input....
    Is Baltimore as bad as they say??? Some parts yes, some parts no. However the bad parts are really bad. In a 2.2 sq. mile area, we have the most shootings/ homicides in the entire city. The city is divided into 9 districts, some being small, some very large.

As far as the hiring process, some are quick, some take awhile, it all depends. I have a pretty good background (High School Grad, 4 years Marine Corps @ Sgt. Rank, good training and such) took me a little over 2 months to get hired. I've talked to some it took 6 months, I guess it really depends on what recruiter you get. The only down side to the whole process for me was that they called me on a Friday and said if I wanted the job, I had to be there Monday (I lived out of state at the time.) I never used drugs either, and you want to talk about people not believing you GEEZ, I felt I should've just said I tried it once to get them off my back. But I went threw the samething joing the military. Overall I say the hiring process is about average as far as the tests and such, it just takes time. The physical standards I felt were easy as well, but I had just got out of the military and in better shape than I am now. But some people had problems with the PT. Just be in shape and do a lot of cardio, you'll be fine. Remeber, the tests dont have anything to do with Law. Its more of a common sense thing. I would also recommend doing the 4 day out of state process, saves having to drive back and forth.

Moving around the department is easier than some may think, as long as you do things RIGHT, and show interest. I was only in patrol for about 2 1/2 years, I was moved to OIC (Officer in Charge) in about a year and half. Some think its a bad thing, some like it, but Baltimore City is always coming up with new specialized units. Bad thing is it takes away from patrol, which is short, but thats the general synopsis here. But once you get out of patrol, moving around is easier. But dont be too eager to leave, learn the most while you are in patrol and do things the right way.

We have expandable batons, but I always used it for knocking on doors or breaking windows. Tasers, as stated earlier, are issued to supervisors. Its been rumor that all officers may get one, but as of now thats all it is.

Some cars have the MDT, biggest thing is people dont take care of the vehicles. But if you get a good post officers, taking car of the cars is not a problem. Take care of things and they dont break. I will say that we have soe excellent dispatchers. Ive seen new guys get in a foot pursuit and didnt know where he was at. Dispatcher told him to relay land marks and the dispatcher was able to tell the responding officers where he was.

Good luck with the process, I'm sure things will go well. If you have any other questions, please, feel free to ask.

Forum Member

a few questions

1. What is the schedule like for example, 5 on/2 off, 4on/3off, etc???
    2. What are the shifts like? for example 8hr, 10hr, 12hr???
    3. I'm assuming that new officers get stuck working the evening or midnight shift. About how long does it take to work days on Baltimore City PD?

Forum Member

. What is the schedule like for example, 5 on/2 off, 4on/3off, etc???
    2. What are the shifts like? for example 8hr, 10hr, 12hr???
    3. I'm assuming that new officers get stuck working the evening or midnight shift. About how long does it take to work days on Baltimore City PD?

8 hr. days, 6 on 2 off, with 2- 3 day weekends in a row. Specialized units differ.

Shifts are 8am - 4pm; 4 - 12am; 12am - 8am
    The day and night shifts rotate every 28 days, while midnights are permanent.

You wont know what shift you will be working after field training. I've seen more people go to the rotating shifts right out of the academy. But essentially it comes up to where the man power is needed.

10-47

Should I make the cut and get on with BPD, I am going to take your statement about "not being eager to get out of patrol" to heart. With that said, and thinking way way ahead of myself; what are some good ways to distinguish yourself from other officers in regards to seeking placement on specialized units and/or eventually working up to CID assignments?

In my hometown dept, you essentially need to be on the force for about fifteen years before anything like that even becomes an option. (Unless you are a minority officer and they need you for narcotics work, haha) I was told I should apply to my hometown agency by a recruiter for that reason alone!

Thanks again fellas.

Forum Member
    With that said, and thinking way way ahead of myself; what are some good ways to distinguish yourself from other officers in regards to seeking placement on specialized units and/or eventually working up to CID assignments?

All that will come in due time, grasshopper. First get out of the academy, get through Field training, and at some point there after you will become a police. The first two are easy. Its that last one that takes time. Some longer than others. And for some, it never happens.

Before any of that, make sure this place is really what you want.

Forum Member

Maybe someone can help me. If you work 6on and 2off, how would you get two 3 day weekends in a row?

Forum Member
    On the weeks you get your 3 day weekend, you work 5on 3off. The days you get off rotate. Mon-Tues, Tues-Weds, etc. Till the weekend, you get fri-sun, then Sat-Mon.

Forum Member

That makes sense. Thanks for the info bud.

Forum Member

This question is kind of off topic with the way the thread has been going lately.

Is the physical training part of the academy really that easy for Baltimore? I've been looking into academies out here in CA and it seems like 5 miles is the minimum running distance for recruits in any academy. Don't even get me started on push ups, sit ups, etc.

What exactly is the physical training component made up of in the Baltimore City Academy that makes it so easy?

Forum Member

I cant really remember the physical requirements exactly, but I remember that it wasnt difficult at all. I just got out of the Corps, so it was easy to me, however, some people did have problems with the Agility Test. The hardest part I think for most is the run, its 1 1/2 miles, but I cant tell you the time it has to be run in. The build you up so its not too bad getting in shape, but I would also work out on my own. The tests (from memory) are situps, push ups, run, sit and reach. I think a mini obstacle course (nothing fancy), but I'm not sure if that was for fun, or an actual test.

Forum Member

It makes sense that the physical agility test would be the easiest part of an academy's physical training. Afterall it is supposed to measure the minimum amount of shape you should be in.

But what is a typical workout like for recruits in the Baltimore City Academy?

Forum Member

This post has nothing against BCPD. Maybe I missed it in the above posts, if so forgive me in advance...I am curious why some of you guys from the west coast are interested in coming all the way out here to work in Baltimore.

On a side note, I would like to give a salute to the Baltimore guys on this forum. They have a tough job, and give lots of information to help out prospective applicants. Just from browsing the forum in off time I have noticed you guys are on the ball here.

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NightStix
    The tests (from memory) are situps, push ups, run, sit and reach. I think a mini obstacle course (nothing fancy), but I'm not sure if that was for fun, or an actual test.
    NightStix, you must have some time on, brother, because they changed some of that. Sit up, pushups and 1/2 mile are the same. Got rid of the sit and reach and replaced it with bench press. But the press is done on one of those univeral machines, so whatever you do on the REAL bench press, add about 50 lbs. to your total. No more obstacle course as part of the test. In fact, I don't think we ever did any kind of obstacle course for PT when I was there.

SoCal, Day to Day PT varies. Its usually at the end of the day, about 2 hours. On one day, you may go for a run through the city. Other days, you will stay in the gym and do push up-sit up type training. You don't know what you will be doing from day to day.

I have been out of the academy for a few years myself, so they may have changed some things.

Terp, Thank you for the nice words.
    Last edited by B-More Dawg; 04-16-2007 at 03:12 AM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by NightStix
    the bad parts are really bad. In a 2.2 sq. mile area, we have the most shootings/ homicides in the entire city.
    Whereabouts is 'that' area?

Also, kinda random question: Is the city considered part of the county of Baltimore? If so, does they have any role whatsoever in the city? Do the county police ever come in? Do they even have authority?

Forum Member

Thanks

Much appreciated

10-47

Quote Originally Posted by Terp22
    This post has nothing against BCPD. Maybe I missed it in the above posts, if so forgive me in advance...I am curious why some of you guys from the west coast are interested in coming all the way out here to work in Baltimore.
    Last edited by Kashihara; 03-26-2009 at 06:25 PM.

10-47

Quote Originally Posted by flash40

Also, kinda random question: Is the city considered part of the county of Baltimore? If so, does they have any role whatsoever in the city? Do the county police ever come in? Do they even have authority?
    I believe Baltimore County is a separate county that does not encompass Baltimore City. Baltimore City is a county-level entity for the purposes of state government. Which is weird, but then again so is the entire Maryland structure of government and their names.... general assembly, house of delegates and whatnot.

Forum Member

I've been to Baltimore before and I liked it. I've got family in Maryland and New York that I'd like to be closer to. But perhaps most important thing is - it is a career goal of mine to work for a major metropolitan police department, especially one in which there are opportunities for "diverse assignments" and advancement, not to mention actual police work, not baby-sitting suburbans who abuse 9-1-1. Truth be told that kind of thing isn't found so easily in my state, as most agencies are smaller and their objectives and methodology get in the way. Not to mention that if one wants to do anything more than patrol work, you'll have to be in a dept. for at least a decade.

I regularly work closely with law enforcement and the court and some things I've seen make me less than optimistic about a career in law enforcement here. It is also quite difficult to even get on with an agency as the competition is VERY fierce due to the many military installations in Washington and Oregon, whom local agencies traditionally draw from. Baltimore seems like a challenge and based on what I know, I feel I could contribute to the department better than I could one out here.

Hope this answered your question.
    Great answer You will definetly find "action" in Charm City. You mentioned family in NY, did you ever look into NYPD? Or Philly PD is smack in the middle.

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by flash40

Western and Eastern Districts traditionally are 1 and 2 in violent crime. The remaining 7 districts jockey for positions after that. Some months its NW, others SW, others NE, ...Northern, Central.....Nowadays they all have their rough areas which errupt from time to time.

City and County have nothing to do with each. Its weird because where I am originally from the cities are part of the county. Here, the city has their own courts, jail, etc. Balt. County surrounds the city geographically. We have a very good working relationship with them, I find, but they do not patrol or answer calls in the city.

My unit works with them time to time on investigation that cross the county line and we help them vice versa. When I used to work patrol, they would see us going code to something near the county line and tag along to see if we needed an extra hand.

Forum Member

Since the Scotch or Wine is flowing freely my friend, I'll shed some light. I dont have too much time on. I've got about 6 1/2 years, and I am stuck in DDU. As far as the changes in the academy, thats funny, cause my hardest part was the sit and reach Not very flexible. Still scratching my head over the whole obstacle thing though. I know we did something on the 5th floor with jumping over a baricade and such.

Baltimore County does not have authority in Baltimore City. 2 different jurisdictions.

I work Greenmount & North. Madison and Monument St. corridor. Gotta love the ED.

Kashihara, if you want my personal views about BMORE, look here.
    http://forums.officer.com/forums/sho...884#post856884

Sorry B-More Dawg, took a tad to type a response.
    Last edited by NightStix; 04-16-2007 at 04:23 AM.

Page 1 of 433 12341151101 ... Last