Page 1 of 3 123 Last
    Banned

Why do cops tailgate?

About, lets say, 35-40% of the cops that are behind me, tailgate me. Today was the worst I encountered. I was driving in a 55 zone two lane and had my cruise control set at exactly 55. She was tailgating me so close that I could tell what color eye liner she had! NO NOT REALLY, BUT, She was dangerously close and if I had to slam on my brakes, she would have....no doubt...rear ended me.
    My #1 pet peeve is tailgaters and #2 is LEFT LANE HOGS!!

Forum Member
    Hel-looo! Female officer! The uniform doesn't mean that they aren't still "women drivers!"

Ok, seriously...

There are numerous reasons that the officer may have been "tailgating" you.

They may have been looking for a traffic violation...there are many possible violations, but the big two for me would be speed violations (which means that the officer was actually pacing you) or registration violations (those little registration stickers are tough to read unless you get kinda close).

Another possibility is that they were heading to a priority call (ie, non-emergency but requiring a relatively rapid response), and you were in the way. It's extremely frustrating when you're trying to get someplace quickly and the cars in front of you become ultra-paranoid and drive 5-10 under the speed limit.
    "He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you."
    -Friedrich Nietzsche

Forum Member

Cuz thats how we roll.

Corporal
    I agree with the other officers. Might I suggest that next time you signal and get out of the way or change lanes. See above.

Banned

Bing Oh,

Thanks for the response. Makes sense what you said. Just seems dangerous.

Redbird07, I was in the right lane and she could have easily gone around me. As I stated I hate LEFT LANE HOGS, I WAYS TRAVEL IN THE RIGHT LANE EXCEPT TO PASS.

Forum Member
    35-40% tailgate you? Well, I guess almost half of us are just bad drivers (enter sarcastic face here).

Seriously, how many officers get behind you on a daily, or even monthly basis? Where are you when this occurs? What time of night? What do you drive?

All of these questions could be factors as to why we get up and read your tag or observe your driving for a brief period of time.

It could be that you simply stare us down so hard that we figure you have something to hide since you make it a point to try and remember how many are behind you and how close we get.
    I'm 10-8 like a shark in a sea of crime..

Corporal
    Quote Originally Posted by LS1mark
    Bing Oh,

Redbird07, I was in the right lane and she could have easily gone around me. As I stated I hate LEFT LANE HOGS, I WAYS TRAVEL IN THE RIGHT LANE EXCEPT TO PASS.

My POINT was that if you pull over, get out of the way, ect., the officer will either stop behind you or drive on by. Either way you will either have helped the officer by getting out of his/her way OR find out the reason he is following you.

Banned

SgtScott31,

I don't get followed often. Maybe once every 2 or 3 weeks sometimes longer. It's usually in the day time and I drive an '05 Chevy Tahoe. It happened once when I was driving my mothers car a '99 M-B CLK320. It happens mainly around town when my wife and I are running errands. I'm a pretty carreful driver. Had one speeding ticket in 1999. And never been in an accident. Had my DL for 21 years now.

Is it really a good Idea to just signal and pullover even when her lights are not activated as Redbird said? I would think that would look suspicious on my part.

Thanks for the replies.

Forum Member
    Dude, we are drafting! Have you seen the MPG on our cars with a lightbar on the roof?

Are your windows tinted? How hard is it to read your sticker to verify your status on your plates? Just a couple of things that came to mind real quick.

I am not going to try to armchair quarterback anyone but there are sooo many different variables that could be the reason for the closeness you were refering to.

Hope this helps.

Banned

kcsd823,

As I am a NASCAR fan, I am a fan of draftng!!!!!LOL Light Bars are no match to my luggage rack!! Especially with luggage.....HEHEHE!

But to answer your questions, other than the factory tint on the rear windows, I don't have any after market tint.

The exp. sticker on on my tags are small but they are color coded.

My wife thinks this is to intimidate me to speed up then get a ticket for speeding.

Is it true what Redbird says, just signal and move over even on a two lane hwy? And why?

Thanks

Corporal
    Do whatever you want. I think you are being paranoid. You asked a bunch of cops what we thought. I am telling you that the county I work in there are about 4 million people including the surrounding counties. It's a very metropolitan area. Everyone drives around here and unless it's 0230 there is always someone driving in front of you. It never fails. We get a call where we need to get somewhere in a hurry but it doesnt always warrant a priority response. Then there is the paranoid driver in front of us, you know the one. He thinks we've been just waiting to write him a ticket. So he drives below the speed limit. People pull over all the time. I usually wave to them as I drive by THANKING them for moving out of my way. If I'm following them, I'll go ahead and light them up. Most of the time they are just in the way. By the way. What is your idea of tailgating. How close and at what speeds are you referring to?

And your wife is wrong. There are enough speeders out there where we dont need to get someone to speed.

Deputy Sheriff
    She was dangerously close and if I had to slam on my brakes, she would have....no doubt...rear ended me.
    If you were to have to slam on your brakes maybe you are driving dangerously close to the car ahead of you.
    Prov 17:17 A friend loveth at all times, and a brother is born for adversity.

Forum Member
    SgtScott31,

I don't get followed often. Maybe once every 2 or 3 weeks sometimes longer. It's usually in the day time and I drive an '05 Chevy Tahoe. It happened once when I was driving my mothers car a '99 M-B CLK320. It happens mainly around town when my wife and I are running errands. I'm a pretty carreful driver. Had one speeding ticket in 1999. And never been in an accident. Had my DL for 21 years now.

Is it really a good Idea to just signal and pullover even when her lights are not activated as Redbird said? I would think that would look suspicious on my part.

Thanks for the replies.
    I don't see anything wrong with using your signal and pulling out of the way. As said, she will either stop with you or go on her way. If she stops with her, I (and this is my opinion only) explain to her that it seemed like they needed to get somewhere quickly and you were simply moving aside for them. They will either be thankful, or they will get the hint that their tailgating does make other drivers uncomfortable.

One thing the general public does not realize is that police often go to certain calls that require speed but do not require lights and sirens. The first that comes to mind is when we are backing up officers on traffic stops. If they make the stop and are OK on their stop, there is no need to be going lights/sirens and balls to the wall to get to them...BUT it is very important to get to them quickly for obvious reasons.

Forum Member

Perhaps your license plate is being checked, or the cop is looking to see if your seatbelt is on or you have your necessary stickers. Or maybe you should just move to the right and let them pass

Forum Member
    All responding threads after mine should answer your questions. They made the same points that I would have.

Forum Member

More than likely, they're not paying a bit of attention to you. If an officer has followed you that many times trying to find a reason to stop you, they would have stopped you by now. Most drivers can't drive more than a quarter mile without giving an officer probable cause to stop.

Like the others said, they are probably trying to get to a call. Where I work, the only calls that we normally run code to are in progress shootings, burglaries and robberies. Other than those or an officer needing backup code 3, we just get get there as fast as we can without the lights/sirens.

So, next time you look in your mirror and see an officer "tailgating" you, they're probably trying to get to the domestic in progress that he just got sent on or some other call that is pressing. Please make every effort to get out of thier way. If it were you they were coming to help, wouldn't you want us there as quickly as possible?

Banned

Hey guys,

Thanks for the relplies.

pujolsfan146,
    If you were to have to slam on your brakes maybe you are driving dangerously close to the car ahead of you.
    I don't tailgate. I can think of situations that happened to me or I witnessed that warrant slamming on my brakes. I live in an area with ALOT of deer. Enough about that. Also, as funny as it might seem, we have alot of wild turkeys. They are not exactly graceful!! I was a passenger in a taveling car when the turkey flew out of the woods, about 3 feet off the ground. We hit the poor bird doing about 50 and I can tell you, it went through the safty glass. No one hurt but a turkey can do some pretty serious damage.

Many of you made some good points that I never thought of or just plain didn't know as I am not in this field. I.E. I thought that you would use your lights on any call you get. But now I know you don't use your lights on every call.

Thanks

Forum Member

I've had multiple encounters like this. I was with my cousin one day and he was being "tailgated" for about 2 miles in the middle lane, If the officer wanted to they could have passed. So the minute he picked up speed, lights went on and he got a speeding ticket.
    2004 Satin Silver RSX Type S
    Jackson Racing Supercharged @ 15 psi
    384.3 Wheel Horsepower.
    333.2 Wheel Torque.

Forum Member
    Haha thats funny he got a ticket, why would he speed up if a police officer was following him? Stupid! To me the speed limit means thats the max speed you are supposed to travel in the best conditions.

Forum Member

Police don't tailgate me. I move to the right! We have a law that states you must yield to the right for faster moving traffic.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mejo83
    Haha thats funny he got a ticket, why would he speed up if a police officer was following him? Stupid! To me the speed limit means thats the max speed you are supposed to travel in the best conditions.
    We couldn't even see the officers headlights and we were in a lowered car... there was a car to our right, and one to the left. So he sped up to get in front of the car to the right of him to get out of the officers way.
    2004 Satin Silver RSX Type S
    Jackson Racing Supercharged @ 15 psi
    384.3 Wheel Horsepower.
    333.2 Wheel Torque.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Modified Import
    we were in a lowered car...
    I think people should get tickets for driving those cars period. ;-)

Forum Member

lol-
    omg, that's awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by JKralC104
    Cuz thats how we roll.

Forum Member

You slow down and merge right. Why does everyone think you have to speed up to merge?

Forum Member
    Just like they have to speed up to get in front of you so they can turn and efficiently stop any and all traffic. They can't just slow down and get behind. It doesn't matter whether I am in a marked car or my own POV. Just one of my pet peaves.

Page 1 of 3 123 Last