Forum Member

Professional Courtesy?? FOP Cards??

i was just wondering.. on another LE website we had a guy claiming that Baltimore City and well all of Maryland officers dont give professional courtesy to fellow officers.. i know some find this to be a touchy subject but up here in NJ it is not heard of for an officer to write another officer.. just wondering if this guy is just trying to make Maryland seem bad or what.. he also claims that the FOP down there doesnt give out FOP cards to give out to family and friends.. again dont know if this guy is just talking out of his ***** or if this is all true..i guess its not that important but when i heard him i just couldnt believe that any LEO would write another officer.. no matter where you are... just wondering if anyone has insight on the professional courtesy and FOP card thing down there.. thanks for info..

Stuck at Work

Not true about MD.

Post deleted
    Last edited by SFairman; 06-24-2011 at 04:25 PM.

Senior Veteran

I do not off hand know of any FOP's that hand out cards in the sense that some of the NY/NJ associations do. Associate FOP memberships are available in some lodges, but they are not a "get out of jail free card".

I do not know of many officers who have written other officers or who have been written themselves. It does happen on occasion, but usually when someone doesn't understand courtesy goes both ways. One of our troops was signed up by an officer from SFairman's outfit some years ago, but he had to work to get that citation. Knowing our officer, none of us felt any sympathy for him nor resentment toward the issuing county officer.
    John from Maryland

Hustler
    Quote Originally Posted by JayMan2006
    i was just wondering.. on another LE website we had a guy claiming that Baltimore City and well all of Maryland officers dont give professional courtesy to fellow officers.. i know some find this to be a touchy subject but up here in NJ it is not heard of for an officer to write another officer.. just wondering if this guy is just trying to make Maryland seem bad or what.. he also claims that the FOP down there doesnt give out FOP cards to give out to family and friends.. again dont know if this guy is just talking out of his ***** or if this is all true..i guess its not that important but when i heard him i just couldnt believe that any LEO would write another officer.. no matter where you are... just wondering if anyone has insight on the professional courtesy and FOP card thing down there.. thanks for info..
    Read into your own statement..." on another LE website"...

Which FOP are you referring too? There are lodges all over the state. Not every LEO is a member of the FOP in Maryland, it's optional.

As far as the "FOP" cards. No such thing and if someone attempted that, whether in Maryland or in California, I doubt the Officer would just "let" the person off, especially in these times. Only FOP memebers are given a FOP card, and that info on that is just for the member, not their wife, sister, etc.

Again, you got your info from a website. Enough said.
    "An excuse is worse and more terrible than a lie, for an excuse is a lie guarded."

Forum Member

not a web site but another forum site... the FOP cards up here are handed out to officer to give to family and friends.. it will have th officers name and some info... search ebay for FOP and PBA.. it will show what i am talking about... up here an officer would get a certain amount of cards to give to family and friends in hopes thatthe officer pulling them ovre would give some courtesy to the driver... again i know they are not get out of jail free cards... i would just think that the FOP cards would be generic in that they are given wherever the FOP is in place...

Operator
    Quote Originally Posted by irishlad2nv

Which FOP are you referring too? There are lodges all over the state. Not every LEO is a member of the FOP in Maryland, it's optional.

As far as the "FOP" cards. No such thing and if someone attempted that, whether in Maryland or in California, I doubt the Officer would just "let" the person off, especially in these times. Only FOP memebers are given a FOP card, and that info on that is just for the member, not their wife, sister, etc.

Obvisouly you've never been to NJ or NY. PBA Cards are given to Officers and there are certain types that are given out to family members.....and if a card is shown....courtsey is expected for minor stuff. If it's not rendered, most Officers will go to their PBA Rep and bitch.....and his Rep will go bitch to the issuing Officers Rep.....and take it from there.

I know this because this has been discussed in great lengths on another board with the NYPD guys telling others how it works.....

And it's a NY/NJ thing.....as I have never heard about it anywhere else.....

My work is done here
    Another officer has never written me here in MD.
    Just shut your damn hole

Dead Souls-----They keep calling me

Forum Member

yeah those cards that NJ and NY give out dont mean anything around here. its amazing how people think that because their "sisters...husbands...brothers...cousins...bestfri end" is a cop 4 states away that its going to help them and their issue here. I would never write a cop or most firefighters. oh and doctors and trauma nurses get free passes to. thats just bad karma !

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Glockcop04
    yeah those cards that NJ and NY give out dont mean anything around here. its amazing how people think that because their "sisters...husbands...brothers...cousins...bestfri end" is a cop 4 states away that its going to help them and their issue here. I would never write a cop or most firefighters. oh and doctors and trauma nurses get free passes to. thats just bad karma !

thats amazing.. so if you pulled over the wife or husband of a police officer you would still write them up?? not even heard of up here.. i mean if the person is rude or whatever then yea but i have talked to alot of officers up here and none will write up a family member of a police officer.. just shows disrespect.. friends are another story

Operator
    thats amazing.. so if you pulled over the wife or husband of a police officer you would still write them up?? not even heard of up here.. i mean if the person is rude or whatever then yea but i have talked to alot of officers up here and none will write up a family member of a police officer.. just shows disrespect.. friends are another story
    Jay....it's a different attitude btwn the two places when it comes to stuff like this.........

I have talked to my buddies at NYPD and they just shake their heads when they hear about folks writing wifes/family members as you'all don't do that up there.....especially if a PBA Card is produced.....

PBA Cards

After reading this thread I went to Ebay and checked. Its ridiculous the amount of cards for sale on there. Makes them meaningless to me, but I'm nowhere near your area.
    For the cops out there: You are an adult. If you want to write someone, write them. If you don't want to write someone, then don't write them.

"Jeff, you are the best cop on this board"-Anonymous Post

Banned

SOrry to be the voice of dissent here but you CAN get assoicate member FOP cards in MD. I got one before I became the police. Depends on the lodge.

Hustler
    Quote Originally Posted by P.I.Davis
    SOrry to be the voice of dissent here but you CAN get assoicate member FOP cards in MD. I got one before I became the police. Depends on the lodge.
    There is a difference between being a full-fledged member as a LEO and being an Associate. Being an associate by paying the $5 a yr to get some sticker to put on your car is not being a member of the FOP. At the same time that "associate" card is useless and should not be utilized to get you out of a jam, let alone the member card either.
    "An excuse is worse and more terrible than a lie, for an excuse is a lie guarded."

Stuck at Work

Post deleted
    Last edited by SFairman; 06-24-2011 at 04:27 PM.

Forum Member

FOP cards dont mean anything to me and I dont know one person I work with that would care if you had one. Showing one and not being a cop would probably earn you a ticket from most of the guys I work with.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Stare
    FOP cards dont mean anything to me and I dont know one person I work with that would care if you had one. Showing one and not being a cop would probably earn you a ticket from most of the guys I work with.
    +2 that really isnt a way to work yourself out of paper in my book.

If you are the wife/gf/mom/dad or something else extreamly close just work it into conversation and we'll go from there. No need to push a FOP card my direction as I could probaly make one in about 3 mins on my computer right here.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by jeffIL View Post
    After reading this thread I went to Ebay and checked. Its ridiculous the amount of cards for sale on there. Makes them meaningless to me, but I'm nowhere near your area.
    Those you find on ebay are generic ones or oddball special order ones that are made up as a novelty item. The legit ones that family members have have the PO's shield # on them. One step further is that PO's can get mini badges made up for their family and get a little leather holder that says PO's mother, father, wife etc.

I use to work for a pro sports team I had several PBAs as clients and as favors they made up special PBA cards with our teams name on it in the place where the shield # would go, as a thank you.

Another thing is that the cards must be signed on the back by the issuing PO, if they arent signed they are worthless. Most usually put a cell # on the back in case the situation wants further proof that they are legit and should be shown the courtesy. (I am not a cop yet...but soon to be a recruit and have lots of friend in the various PDs on Long Island & NYC)

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JayMan2006 View Post
    i didnt say anything about wives or even kids.

shook'n cats, ringn bells

from my experience (father is ret. Balt City, cousins husband in another agency), i have been shown lenience about 50% of the time i have had an encounter. i do not expect it, but i usually work it into conversation. no offense to anyone on here, but it seems that younger guys are more likely to ignore the family ties.

Like A Young Cassius Clay
    Quote Originally Posted by irishlad2nv View Post

The agency I work for it is not an option to join the FOP. They deduct the dues right out of your paycheck starting in the academy.
    Day after day train your heart out, refining your technique: Use the One to strike the Many! That is the discipline of the Warrior.
    ---------------------------------------------------
    Proverbs 26:3
    Stay Safe!