Forum Member

Open Container in an RV

Some friends of mine are renting a large RV and will drive it to Tenessee for a music event.

The ladies will be sharing the driving and not drinking, and the guys will be in the back, working their way through a keg or two.

Unlike limousines, there is no partition between the driver section and the passenger section. It's all one open area.

1. Would either the drivers or the passengers be subject to the Open Container laws?

2. The guys make their own beer. (Hey - they're GERMANS! ) In this case, so they can take their beer into the festival, they will put the beer into recycled large-mouth plastic beer bottles, such as what sports stadiums sell Bud Lite in. Since they cannot put a factory seal on their home brew, would this be considered an open container? ... even if it's screwed tightly shut, in storage, and not being drunk from?

You are next...
    Quote Originally Posted by the Chools
    Some friends of mine are renting a large RV and will drive it to Tenessee for a music event.

The ladies will be sharing the driving and not drinking, and the guys will be in the back, working their way through a keg or two.

Unlike limousines, there is no partition between the driver section and the passenger section. It's all one open area.

1. Would either the drivers or the passengers be subject to the Open Container laws?

2. The guys make their own beer. (Hey - they're GERMANS! ) In this case, so they can take their beer into the festival, they will put the beer into recycled large-mouth plastic beer bottles, such as what sports stadiums sell Bud Lite in. Since they cannot put a factory seal on their home brew, would this be considered an open container? ... even if it's screwed tightly shut, in storage, and not being drunk from?

1) "Open container laws prohibit the possession of any open alcoholic beverage container and the consumption of any alcoholic beverage in the passenger area of a motor vehicle." - I would say yea.....

2) Hard to say... I personally would not consider what you are describing as an "open container" - Discretion would come into play.... like someone bringing home a half empty bottle of wine from a fancy dinner....
    Retired 02/01/13

Forum Member
    I'm assuming you're probably talking about Bonnaroo...we're gearin up for it.

With that said, state law in TN requires that the driver not have an open container, BUT, many county/city ordinances also include any open containers on a public street, alleyway, etc which would prohibit anyone from having one in the vehicle.

All depends on where they're going and what the county/city laws advise.
    I'm 10-8 like a shark in a sea of crime..

Slow is Smooth
    Montana's Front Range... where the prairie meets the mountains

In Montana, yes to both questions

If it's in the passenger compartment and is not sealed, it's an open container.
    Montana LEO
    'Where the prairie meets the mountains"

Senior Veteran
    VT allows possession and consumption by passengers in the "living quarters" of a RV.
    "My give a damn's busted"

VIP Member - Diamond
    Don't some states have seat-belt laws that include passengers in RV's?
    Molly Weasley makes Chuck Norris eat his vegetables.

Bored

in PA its ok as long as its not in the driver area...
    So the rear living area is good
    I got nothing for now