Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

1911 .45 ACP? Which is the best?

I have been looking at the Kimber Custom, the new S&W 1911PD, and a few other brands and models. Just curious what everyone thinks is the best brand or model out right now?
    Success is failure turned inside out
    The silver tint of the clouds of doubt
    And you never can tell how close you are,
    It may be near when it seems so far;
    So stick to the fight when your hardest hit,
    It's when things seem worst that you must not quit!

Forum Member

1911s

My buddies and I are 1911 nuts. We shoot kimbers, paras, and springfields. you can't go wrong with any of these. I also just got my new taurus 1911, but haven't had a chance to shoot it yet.

I can say I had 2 springfields, and my wife has one now, and they have always been great, my last shooting compatition gun was a springfield

Forum Member
    From all the reading I've done, I'm kind of leary of Kimbers. They seem to work extremely well, or VERY poorly. I don't know if the company is expanding too fast for its own good or what. I've just heard that there are A LOT of lemons out there. I've heard next to nothing bad about Springfields and Smith & Wessons.

KEEP IN MIND, this is all based on what I've read from when I was trying to pick out a 1911. I AM NO EXPERT, these are just the impressions I've gotten. The only 1911s I've personally shot are my new Springfield and my grandpa's Remington-Rand. Looking at various price points, however, I can say without hesitation that when it comes to features, you get "more for your money" with a Springfield or S&W than with a Kimber.

Senior Veteran
    Sorral,
    Make sure you let us know how the Taurus shoots. I am thinking of one of those myself.
    Thus the wise win before the fight, while the ignorant fight to win

GGG
    I have heard bad stuff about the Taurus. The finish does not hold up well, which must be really bad if folks are noticing it already since they have not been out long.

I have had two Kimbers, still have one of them. I love them, never had a problem. I know many who HATED the external extractor, and Kimber has since gone away from it, but I have never had a failure with my TLE RL/II. Never had a problem with my Para either.

I have not shot the S&W, but I did not like the handling of it. Felt too heavy. Fine for static shoots, but not dynamic shoots.

Forum Member
    Colt Government Model

A Kimber is like a Ferrari. It is a high performance, finely tuned semi-custom machine. The downside, is that it either runs VERY well, or it doesn't run at all. My Custom Shop Pro CDP (as did my old Stainless Target) runs like a raped ape.

The Springfield will be more forgiving, as it is not held to the extremely tight tolerances of the Kimber. However, it won't feel like a "high performance, finely tuned semi-custom."

Vote with your dollars as to which one you prefer. I have both.
    J. Wise

AR-15 - AK-47 - NFA Trusts - My Pick - Carry Guns - 1911s

"Some say you can tell how the world stands by the prices of AK-47s...." Chit2001

Any comments contained herein regarding the legality of firearms, or the application of law, are strictly applicable to Texas. If you live in CA, NY, IL, MA, D.C., etc., the above comments will probably shock you, and should be read for educational purposes only. Most likely nothing I write will apply to you.

LE Geek
    I love my 1911PD, and I'm NOT a fan of S&W autos. So far the scandium frame has held up well, it's lighter weight, it's accurate, and when I shoot the thing it sceams "I'm bigger than a .40 and badder than a 9mm!!!".

So yeah, it's great.

Forum Member
    Im a colt fan...they are tried and true just like the ACP round. I own a lightweight Officers model and a Gold Cup. Both are very nice guns. I carry the officers model quiet a bit and have never had any problems when firing it. The Gold Cup is unfired. I just bought it two weeks ago NIB...It was a 30th birthday gift to myself Im hoping to get to the range when the weather breaks and give her a run.

Forum Member

springfield

jwise,

I would put my old springfield up against any kimber. I shot a few pistol matches with it, and did just fine...my instructor (1911 pistol smith) did do a slide polishing, and a spring adjustment, and we added a mag well.

My springfield shot tighter groups than my buddy's kimber, another buddy's colt, and a friends para.

but a person can't go wrong with a 1911 made in the USA of any brand...I would stay away from the Phillipino made guns..heard bad things about the quality of the metal

Forum Member

taurus pt1911

My family and I just got back from shooting, i put 40-50 rounds thruough my new Taurus pt1911.

That thing is sweet!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Not one problem, and it felt as smooth and crisp as the target gun I had last year. ( I spent $600 for that springfield, and had a pistol smith do a slide and rail job, spring job, and polish the feed ramp).
    The Taurus felt better, and out of the box for $500 (plus ffl fees and back ground check)

Happy camper here.

Caution: Unvetted member. KenW.'s Avatar
    The best .45 to have when you need one is the one in your hand when the shooting starts.

That being said: I carry a Kimber Tactical Custom II with a Colt Defender for a bug (each with Wilson mags).
    I am concerned for the security of our great Nation; not so much because of any threat from without, but because of the insidious forces working from within.

Douglas MacArthur

Thumbs up

I've been carrying a Nighthawk Custom GRP II for the last couple of weeks. It's their 4.25" bbl model (Commander Size). Outstanding quality control, dependability and accuracy (400+ rounds, 0 malfunctions). With the Commander length bbl, I can carry in uniform on duty and it conceals a little easier when off-duty. I strongly suggest you look at Nighthawk, if your budget permits it.
    "I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Forum Member

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by ThursCo
    I love my 1911PD, and I'm NOT a fan of S&W autos. So far the scandium frame has held up well, it's lighter weight, it's accurate, and when I shoot the thing it sceams "I'm bigger than a .40 and badder than a 9mm!!!".

So yeah, it's great.
    Thats a good one1 - I have one also and they are pretty good guns. I like mine for off duty due to the weight. My only dislike is the front vertical lines on the front strap. I am with you on S&W autos, I never liked them until the 1911's

I haven't yet bought a 1911, but I've wanted one since I was about in the 4th grade. Seriously. They've always appealed to me. What will I use it for? Not a damn thing. I just want it. I can't seem to find Colt models now so it will be either a Kimber or a Springfield. I'll probably get the Springfield because, like another hinted at, I've heard too many people say that the gun is so tightly made that it has problems at times. I don't want to buy a $1000 gun has to be tinkered at.

Buy a Colt and be done. Yes they aren't as tricked out as some model offerings from various companies, but they are built correctly internally and finished nicely.
    People grow through experience, if they meet life honestly and courageously. This is how character is built.

Forum Member
    I'm not a 1911 fan, just FYI.

The newer Kimbers just seem to have multiple problems, like hammers, extractors, etc etc breaking or falling off. I have just seen this too many times to be comfortable with it. They do shoot really well though so for a range/game gun they're very good.
    I have a Rock Island 1911 in the shop right now. Every time I get one of these mil-spec guns it is better than the last one. This one has gorgeous mahagony grips and a pretty good trigger for a gun retailing new for $375. They are probably as reliable as anything out there.
    I'm told by 1911 fans that the principle is KISS--the more stuff you put on the gun that it wasnt designed for, the less reliable you make it.

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ArkansasFan24
    I haven't yet bought a 1911, but I've wanted one since I was about in the 4th grade. Seriously. They've always appealed to me. What will I use it for? Not a damn thing. I just want it. I can't seem to find Colt models now so it will be either a Kimber or a Springfield. I'll probably get the Springfield because, like another hinted at, I've heard too many people say that the gun is so tightly made that it has problems at times. I don't want to buy a $1000 gun has to be tinkered at.
    I hear these complaints on Kimbers and it just miffs me. I have owned no less than five (5) Kimbers. My 1st one was when they hit the market 1st. It had a problem with the extractor. Easy fix by a friend. As far as the others, I have never had a single malfunction of any type. I am in no means saying someone is full of it but I just do not see officers having problems with the Kimber. I have a Colt/WIlson that I paid big money for, While a fine pistol and 100% reliable I will never pay that much money again when I get get the same quality for 1/2 the money. This month I purchased a new Kimber Custom TLE II for less than $800.00- thats brand new with night sites. Took it out and put 500 rounds of hard ball in it, cleaned it, fired it for reliability and point of aim with my duty load (300 rounds of Fed 230 H.S) and run it thru my states firearm qualification course ( 48 rnds X 3) with a 240 out of a possible 240 Never had one single reliability or acuracy issue. That is my typical experience with Kimbers. Good gun for the money, you can spend much more and not gain a thing. Springfields are good guns also, their finish is not as good and they have a lot of sharp edges. Buy a Kimber along with some Wilson mags. Shoot good ammo not the russian crap and I believe you will have a trouble free weapon you will love,. Just my two cents worth.
    Last edited by j706; 03-17-2007 at 11:06 PM.

j706, I'm glad you mention all of that. Thank you. It's reassuring. A Kimber TLE II is exactly what I had been wanting. I'm glad it's worked well for you. Maybe I'll have the same luck. Happy shooting!

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ArkansasFan24
    j706, I'm glad you mention all of that. Thank you. It's reassuring. A Kimber TLE II is exactly what I had been wanting. I'm glad it's worked well for you. Maybe I'll have the same luck. Happy shooting!
    Where do you live at in Arkanasas? I used to live in a town called Piggott. Ever heard of it? North east corner (Clay Couty)

GGG
    I guess I am just lucky. A few years back, I bought a Kimber TLE/RL II with the dreaded external extractor. I have been told repeatedly that it is a piece of crap and will not function properly. Just like the Bumblebee that mathmatically cannot fly according to engineers, my Kimber does not know it is not supposed to work. Thousands of rounds later, I can't recall a single FTF, FTE, or any other malfunction.

Another +1 vote for Kimber TLE II. Love mine, no failures whatsoever. Wish they'd let me carry it on duty, I'd even trade my beloved Glock 22 for it.

Well maybe...

I don't know, 15 +1 rounds with the Glock is comforting....

No, I'd have to take the Kimber.

Forum Member
    I currently have a Smith 1911PD and it is a great pistol. I previously had a Kimber and it was a great pistol, as well, and I had none of the trouble that I have read about with the external extractor. Springfields are great pistols. 1911s in general are wonderful guns, at least in .45. I did own a Charles Daly for a very short time and it was a 1st class POS. I really do like my new Smith, however, and would recommend it (or the Kimber).

GGG
    I was looking at Wilson Combat 1911's at the gunshop the other day. Trying to figure out what makes them cost 3 times my Kimber TLE/RL II. I guess if my Kimber did not shoot flawlessly, I might consider. But right, don't see it happening. $2500 for some rifles, sure, not a pistol.

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GGG
    I was looking at Wilson Combat 1911's at the gunshop the other day. Trying to figure out what makes them cost 3 times my Kimber TLE/RL II.
    Machined bar-stock parts (vs. MIM), and a painstaking amount of hand-fitting (vs. MIM, which requires little or no fitting).

That's not to say that they are worth $2500. Just that machining and hand-fitting is terribly expensive these days. The Colt .45 was designed with those assembly methods in mind because that was the only way to build things when it was designed. Casting and MIM hadn't even been thought of. Back in 1911 labor was cheap and machining wasn't anything special, it was just the way. Now labor is expensive and machining is, too.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast