Page 1 of 27 1 2 3 4 11 ... LastLast

NYS University Police

What is the general feeling of the NYS University police on this forum.

Well, I can't wait to take the test. I do know it's different at every Iuniversity.

What is going on with UPSTATE Med UPD. I have heard they are short of officers and low morale. And if the merger goes through with Crouse who takes over Crouse Security or do they still have SUNY PD
    IGNORE LIST - Banastretarlton AKA "banana boy"

"In the fields of observation chance favors only prepared mind"
    -----Louis Pasteur

"Sweat in training saves blood on the battlefield."

-------Col. David "Hack" Hackworth

On my 7 year old 2nd Grade Class wall

------------YOU are RESPONSIBLE for YOUR OWN ACTIONS

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by UPNYPO
    What is the general feeling of the NYS University police on this forum.
    Depends where you work. Some campuses are Law Enforcement orientated and some are less Law Enforcement orientated. Overall it is a good job. Are you going through the process?

Forum Member

suny police

I must say I was most impressed with the suny officers. I went for the physical agility exam back in march of 2005 at Stonybrook University. All the officers were very nice, they wanted you to pass and would encourage you as you went. I passed the push ups, and sit ups, but failed the run.

Forum Member
    are you going to try again when the test is given in dec.?

Forum Member
    Yeah I've been getting several letters from many schools but I've been putting it off for now until im sure im ready again. Im surprised that they will give a exam in december. The list is only a year and a few months old I thought.

OTJ for awhile now. Sgt. Geezer's Avatar
    If you are speaking of the SUNY police they are a desired group to be in. Good benefits , good pay, good retirement and Police Officer status.

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rouge303
    Yeah I've been getting several letters from many schools but I've been putting it off for now until im sure im ready again. Im surprised that they will give a exam in december. The list is only a year and a few months old I thought.
    The civil service exam is given every 2 years. The next one should be in December of 2007. With the recent pay increase there probably will be a higher demand for the job so more people will be taking the test.

Forum Member
    yeah its about time the Suny PD got a better contract. Im curious why all the canvass letters I get from all the diffrent schools all have the old starting salary?

Forum Member
    yeah its about time the Suny PD got a better contract. Im curious why all the canvass letters I get from all the diffrent schools all have the old starting salary?
    Wow...they havent been updated? They probably list the salary that was current with the time the list came out..that is my guess anyway. Now is a good time to get hired. Things are moving forward and hopefully will continue to do so.

Correct me if I'm wrong ........but I went through a two week Firearms IDS at the NYSP academy and I seem to recall that there were SUNY officers there at that time going through the schooling. I believe they had seperate instuctors but used the same facilities; and I almost think that SUNY is under the wing of the NYSP along with the Capital Police.

Is that correct?

Forum Member
    Hey 10-97UPD, Is it frowned upon by the bosses to be hired by one school than transfer to another if there is an opening and your next up? When I spoke with one of the chiefs at the physical agility it sounded like they werent happy with that.

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sgt. Geezer
    Correct me if I'm wrong ........but I went through a two week Firearms IDS at the NYSP academy and I seem to recall that there were SUNY officers there at that time going through the schooling. I believe they had seperate instuctors but used the same facilities; and I almost think that SUNY is under the wing of the NYSP along with the Capital Police.

Is that correct?
    The capital Police is under control of the SP... SUNY is not. SUNY used to use the SP Academy in Albany for their Public Safety training academy years ago. Police Officer status was granted therefore the academy training now goes through the local DCJS training academy just like any other PD. We do not have a centralized academy like the other State Agencies. Hopefully we will someday.
    Last edited by 10-97UPD; 03-09-2007 at 02:35 PM.

Forum Member
    Hey 10-97UPD, Is it frowned upon by the bosses to be hired by one school than transfer to another if there is an opening and your next up? When I spoke with one of the chiefs at the physical agility it sounded like they werent happy with that.
    It all depends on the Chief and the given circumstances.

I'd have to say, from what I have seen, NYSUP is a pretty good gig. Especially for the pay. The top pay is less than desired but the starting pay is pretty good. I got a canvass letter the other day that had the updated salary on it. It is 39 something. Then with all of the extras (before any OT) you end up makeing close to 45 the first year.

Forum Member
    If you are still getting canvassed that means they are working thier way throuhg the list b4 it expires and maybe a low turn out which improves your chance of getting selected, by the next test it will probably be harder to make the cut with officers trying to leave nypd who wont have to go through an academy, plus the higher start pay.

Buffalo State University Police

Good Job, for the assist with NYSP and BPD.

Kudos.

Forum Member

Buffalo state Police

Excellent----just shows that University police are just as equal as any other police departments

Quote Originally Posted by sheriff2004
    Excellent----just shows that University police are just as equal as any other police departments
    Let's not get crazy.

As many other police departments. Some just do stuff that UPD will probably never do. That doesn't make UPD any less of a department or its officers and less of an officer.

Take a look at a small pd. Sometimes they have less going on than some University Police Departments.

It's all relative.

A cop is a cop is a cop.

Cop they all stand for the same goal. Some just do more stuff than others.

City cop is probably going to do more than a town cop, and a town cop is probably going to do more than your village cop. Obviously there are always exceptions.

Yeah....Yeah......Yeah........ All that's true.

But their uniforms are the most peculiar color gray. Must be they did that so they can only use issued equipment....... but then now that I think of it .....the dozen or so SUNYPD guys I know are remarkably cheap anyway.

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sgt. Geezer
    Yeah....Yeah......Yeah........ All that's true.

But their uniforms are the most peculiar color gray. Must be they did that so they can only use issued equipment....... but then now that I think of it .....the dozen or so SUNYPD guys I know are remarkably cheap anyway.
    Most of our equipment is issued. The only thing I bought was boots and gloves. We are also given a yearly uniform allowance of $625.00.

Forum Member
    Now that's the most ignorant thing I've heard in a long time----what makes you think your any better than any other law enforcement officer? As UPNYPO said --" a cop is a cop is a cop"...some SUNY schools out here do more than most villages or towns...so your theory isn't true. And the state issues everything..and it's better than most departments

Quote Originally Posted by sheriff2004
    Now that's the most ignorant thing I've heard in a long time----what makes you think your any better than any other law enforcement officer? As UPNYPO said --" a cop is a cop is a cop"...some SUNY schools out here do more than most villages or towns...so your theory isn't true. And the state issues everything..and it's better than most departments
    It would be helpful if we all knew who you were arguing with and if something here is the "most ignorant" ....you probably need to get out more.

Page 1 of 27 1 2 3 4 11 ... LastLast