Page 1 of 71 12341151 ... Last
Like Tree254Likes

Thread: Heading to the NYSDOCS Academy!

Forum Member

Heading to the NYSDOCS Academy!

Hey all,

This is my first post here but I have been reading a lot on these forums and have to say there is a lot of information here that I couldn't find anywhere else. I'm 23 and from the Watkins Glen area in upstate NY. I got the call from my investigator to report to the academy in Albany. Been waiting a long time to get into this kind of field. I have a few questions that I've been wanting to know, sorry if these have been aksed before. I have heard what the final PT test is like but what is the daily PT training like? How much running, situps and pushups-I'm sure PT consists of more than these three things what else is there? Do you train for any of the 7 events that are in the final PT during the daily PT? I'm almost 6' tall but very very thin-probably gonna be the thinnest guy there I'm sure lol, I have confidence in myself but is my lack of weight gonna have any set backs? When we're not doing PT what is the rest of the day like what kind of courses do they make you take besides the weapons training and self defense?

Thanks in advance

WarpedJoeSI
    The daily PT goes like this....The first week, you take the practice course...Depending on how good you did they group you into 1 of 3 groups,A-being in good physical shape,B-being in average physical shape, and C-below average physical shape. The first week also goes through instructional PT of most of the excercises you will be doing. Everyone basically does the same excerises, but the reps vary. In C group ,you may do 200 side straddle hops(jumping jacks), in A group you might do 1000. As far as the academic stuff, some courses are cool like,contraband and frisk and transportation, but then there are a lot of snoozers,especially in the final week. You will get like 4 classes just on sexual harrassment. Chemical Agents was cool,painful....but cool. If you have any other questions, dont hesitate to ask.

Forum Member

Congrats.& Good Luck.

Hey - I too am waiting on the call, WAITING.... took the test april 06, when did you take the test? What was your score.I dont mean to sound forward but i think you know how some of us are feeling any information would be greatly appreceated. Tmanj.

red sox suck
    tj i too took april 06 test just got call feb 16 to report march 11 took awhile

Forum Member

Smile Congrats Whiplash 747

Great, I am 947 on the list, Did they call you or send you a letter?
    Thanks for the info.... Stay safe Stay Alive. Tmanj.

Forum Member
    Congrats. Most police academies have since changed to a different model. With all the lawsuits and injuries/deaths in police academies, they have gone to a softer model which looks for overall improvement. You might not find this in black and white, but that's mainly what they are looking for. Good luck, and be ready. Running, Situps, Pushups, Pull Ups, Mountain Climbers, etc.
    Bulk Patch Maker/Seller

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by tmanj
    Hey - I too am waiting on the call, WAITING.... took the test april 06, when did you take the test? What was your score.I dont mean to sound forward but i think you know how some of us are feeling any information would be greatly appreceated. Tmanj.

I took the test in april too. I know how you guys that are waiting are feeling. I thought they'd never call me in. I got the call two weeks ago, enough time to give my current employer notice. I'm sure you'll hear something soon. They're opening up another academy at Willard in April too so some people that are still waiting may be sent up there.

Forum Member

How much running do they start you off with, a few miles more/less? How many situps and pushups do they want new recruits to start off doing? As of now I can do roughly 35 pushups and about the same or a little more situps which is more than most people I know can do but it still doesn't seem like much.

WarpedJoeSI
    Do as many as you can...they can yell at you all they want... There are only a few ways you can fail out of the academy.
    1.Fail 2 written tests
    2.Fail the PPT test in your seventh week
    3.Miss 3 consecutive PT sessions
    4.Not Qualify with the revolver

There are no sit-ups or pull-ups in this academy. There are a lot of push-ups,flutter kicks,Jane Fondas,mountain climbers,side straddle hops,sqaut thrusts,muel kicks,ski jumps, and many more....

Depending on what PT group you are in the running varies. The C group will jog around the academy like 3 times, The A group sometimes runs up the academy stairs holding big wrestling mats over their heads. Remember,as long as you show an effort they will not hassle you.

Also, try to get very good at the Front Lean and Rest Position. Its the UP part of a push-up. Thats what they make everyone do when the class gets in trouble. They will make you stay in that position for quite some time.
    Last edited by WarpedJoeSI; 02-27-2007 at 03:49 AM. Reason: forgot to mention something

Forum Member

Hey Warped, thanks for all the great info, I've been maxing out on my pushups lately, I'm at about 35-40 right now. I really should have focused on running a little more I ran about a mile yesterday but it was all up hill and it just about killed me, lol. What exactly is a mountain climber? I've never heard of it before or is it exactly what it sounds like? I'll definitely start working on the Front lean and rest position now. Thanks again for all the great info.

Quote Originally Posted by WarpedJoeSI
    Do as many as you can...they can yell at you all they want... There are only a few ways you can fail out of the academy.
    1.Fail 2 written tests
    2.Fail the PPT test in your seventh week
    3.Miss 3 consecutive PT sessions
    4.Not Qualify with the revolver

There are no sit-ups or pull-ups in this academy. There are a lot of push-ups,flutter kicks,Jane Fondas,mountain climbers,side straddle hops,sqaut thrusts,muel kicks,ski jumps, and many more....

Depending on what PT group you are in the running varies. The C group will jog around the academy like 3 times, The A group sometimes runs up the academy stairs holding big wrestling mats over their heads. Remember,as long as you show an effort they will not hassle you.

Also, try to get very good at the Front Lean and Rest Position. Its the UP part of a push-up. Thats what they make everyone do when the class gets in trouble. They will make you stay in that position for quite some time.

Forum Member

A few more questions I forgot to ask. Where does the PPT take place is it inside or outside. The dummy you have to drag for 40' is it laying on a blanket or is there something wrapped under the arms and you pull it. What is the floor like that you pull it on, does it move real easy like on a wooden floor? I can pull my brother on a sleeping bag 40' in less than ten seconds but its easy cause the sleeping bag has a slick surface running across a carpeted floor. Also the flight of stairs how many steps are there in one direction? Sorry for all the questions just wanna be prepared. Thanks

NYS CO

Quote Originally Posted by mtdodgethis02
    A few more questions I forgot to ask. Where does the PPT take place is it inside or outside. The dummy you have to drag for 40' is it laying on a blanket or is there something wrapped under the arms and you pull it. What is the floor like that you pull it on, does it move real easy like on a wooden floor? I can pull my brother on a sleeping bag 40' in less than ten seconds but its easy cause the sleeping bag has a slick surface running across a carpeted floor. Also the flight of stairs how many steps are there in one direction? Sorry for all the questions just wanna be prepared. Thanks
    I have the same question...I am taking my agility on may 17th...they said i have to pull a 160 pound dummy but it says it will be laying on the blanket...what is the floor like and do they time it?

Forum Member

I have been checking the posts here for a while to get a feel for the process. I took the Sep O6 test and am ranked 33. I am grouped with a bunch of other guys who scored a 90 on my exam. I did my BI/Physical/Agility yesterday. Seems to have went well I was totaly honest about everything. Wondering if anyone has heard when guys from my group will get called to academy. The head of investigations said that some guys/gals have already been called from my exam.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by aqfyn3st
    I have the same question...I am taking my agility on may 17th...they said i have to pull a 160 pound dummy but it says it will be laying on the blanket...what is the floor like and do they time it?

During the agility the dummy has the blanket rolled up and wrapped under its arms and around its back, so you're pulling on the two ends of the blanket and most of the dummy is directly touching the floor. The floor is very smooth so its easy, even me being very underweight had no problem moving it-the only problem is everything in the agility is in one tiny room so when you're dragging the dummy you have to maneuver around a bunch of people that are doing other aspects of the agility. The agility exam is very easy-the stairs you climb are on a small portable staircase and you only go up three steps and come back down, the ladder bolted to the wall is about 5'. It isn't timed during the agility. I'm hoping that dragging the dummy in the PPT is the same as pulling it in the agility. Hope this helps. Anybody know how many steps are in the PPT? I'm trying to time myself on this and would have a better idea how I'd do if I had a certain number of stairs to climb.

WarpedJoeSI
    The Agility and the PPT are quite different. As MTdodge said, the agility is in a tiny room,but it is ridiculously easy. The PPT at the academy is in the gym, its a standard slick,wooden gym floor. The dummy has a handle on it,so you can pull it easier. The trick with that is you have to use your legs,thats where all the strength is. The stairs are a little hard because you are already tired at that point.There are about 15-20 stairs. The hard part is that the staircase is very narrow and the stairs are small and steep. The Mountain climber is kinda difficult to explain,but basically the starting position looks like when track runners crouch down to get ready to race,with their feet apart and their hands touching the ground,then, without moving your hands,you move your feet back and forth. Also,remember this, all the exercises are counted mainly with a 4 count. So, its counted 1-2-3 1 1-2-3 2. You are doing twice as many of the exercise. They do different variations of push-ups also Diamond,8 count,4 count,2 count. It depends on the instructor that day. Trust me, it sounds crazy. but dont sweat it. The one thing to remember, they will try and scare you out of there from the Sunday you get there up until your 3rd week. They pretty much lay off you after the chemical agents portion.

Forum Member

The Agility and the PPT are quite different. As MTdodge said, the agility is in a tiny room,but it is ridiculously easy. The PPT at the academy is in the gym, its a standard slick,wooden gym floor. The dummy has a handle on it,so you can pull it easier. The trick with that is you have to use your legs,thats where all the strength is. The stairs are a little hard because you are already tired at that point.There are about 15-20 stairs. The hard part is that the staircase is very narrow and the stairs are small and steep. The Mountain climber is kinda difficult to explain,but basically the starting position looks like when track runners crouch down to get ready to race,with their feet apart and their hands touching the ground,then, without moving your hands,you move your feet back and forth. Also,remember this, all the exercises are counted mainly with a 4 count. So, its counted 1-2-3 1 1-2-3 2. You are doing twice as many of the exercise. They do different variations of push-ups also Diamond,8 count,4 count,2 count. It depends on the instructor that day. Trust me, it sounds crazy. but dont sweat it. The one thing to remember, they will try and scare you out of there from the Sunday you get there up until your 3rd week. They pretty much lay off you after the chemical agents portion.
    Hey thanks again Warped, I take it you cant use the railings when you climb the staircase?

WarpedJoeSI
    I believe you can, but try not to. It slows you down. The best thing to do is to tuck your arms at your sides. When you get in, still continue to post. I wanna know who get as a DI. The best one is Munafo, he knows EVERYTHING and he is a really cool guy.

Any other questions, just ask. Im more than happy to help. I graduated from the academy in Dec, so everything is still fresh in my mind.
    Last edited by WarpedJoeSI; 02-28-2007 at 12:18 PM. Reason: forgot

Forum Member

I believe you can, but try not to. It slows you down. The best thing to do is to tuck your arms at your sides. When you get in, still continue to post. I wanna know who get as a DI. The best one is Munafo, he knows EVERYTHING and he is a really cool guy.

Any other questions, just ask. Im more than happy to help. I graduated from the academy in Dec, so everything is still fresh in my mind.

Hey thanks once again Warped, you've been a great help. I have always been someone that has either skipped steps or used a railing and its been hard to train myself not to do either, my family says I'm all leg so my steps are longer which is why I skip stairs lol. I finally got the hang of it again but I've been using my basement staircase which is in a narrow hallway but the steps aren't small as you say the one's we will train on are. The stair climbing is the biggest concern for me on the PPT everything else I'm confident in....guess I'll start running up and down my basement even more now. My basement consists of about 15 steps and I can run up and back down between 15 and 20 seconds. I'm not sure if this is a good time or not. If there's anything you can suggest to help out with this part of the test I'd appreciate any advice. I'll definitely continue posting when I get home on weekends. Thanks again

WarpedJoeSI
    Just keep doing what your doing man. You arent allowed to skip steps, but trust me when I tell you that the academy is nothing to worry about. Remember, they want you to graduate. In a couple of months there will be A LOT of retirements. Everything is easy, just showing an effort will keep them from riding you.

red sox suck

boots

i have to go to acadamy 11mar07 just wondering what kind of boots to bring? they say in paperwork that they must hold shine just wondering if you guys had any suggestions, since you have been through it!!!

WarpedJoeSI
    rockies are good,bates enforcers are pretty good too. Also, bring magic hem,an iron,starch, and a small ironing board. Bring atleast 2 or 3 extra of everything. Trust me, you will need them! Bring atleast 2 or 3 extra of light grey sweatshirts,sweatpants and sweatshorts. I will tell you why.....We had PT outside in the pouring rain while laying in 2-3inches of rain water outside. You def dont want to be wearing dirty,soaked PT gear all week. Bring like 7 or 8 days worth of socks,t-shirts,and underwear. Just to get a head of things,make 5 round-neck t-shirts with your last name on the back of them with 2inch stencils. They will want you to do that and put your session number on the front, but you wont know your number until you get there. Make sure you are shaven and have a short haircut, cause they will rip on you for that too. The main thing of the whole academy, DONT STAND OUT! Bring a lot of extra baggage. They will be giving you A LOT of stuff in your first and second week. Bring extra toothpaste,soap,shaving cream, and deodorant because when staying in the academy they make you set up a display with all that stuff. If you set up the display with extra stuff, you dont need to ever move it. That reminds me.....bring an extra blanket. They want you to make hospital corners, so you can make your bed and just sleep on top of it with your own blanket covering you. Phew....I think thats it...If I think of anything else I will let you know. But def do the t-shirts before you go, that way you dont waste your weekend doing stupid sh*t. Also ,make sure your sleeves on your undershirts arent too long cause they will stick out the bottom of your uniform shirt. Hanes are good,they worked for me.
    Last edited by WarpedJoeSI; 03-02-2007 at 01:52 PM. Reason: forgot to mention some stuff

Forum Member

Thats a good list Warped. I bought a pair of Rockies, dont remember which model but they come up to the top of my calf, zip up on one side, has the polished toe and heel. Warped can the sweatshirts be hooded or do they want just the unhooded ones, I bought two unhooded and one with a hood in case we have to go out on a colder day? Do you need both the shorts and sweatpants or is it based on your preference? I bought both but prefer sweatpants over shorts. Extra baggage as in an additional duffel bag, I bought a huge bag that will transport all my stuff but if they give you more stuff I may need to pick up another one? Thanks for all the tips.

rockies are good,bates enforcers are pretty good too. Also, bring magic hem,an iron,starch, and a small ironing board. Bring atleast 2 or 3 extra of everything. Trust me, you will need them! Bring atleast 2 or 3 extra of light grey sweatshirts,sweatpants and sweatshorts. I will tell you why.....We had PT outside in the pouring rain while laying in 2-3inches of rain water outside. You def dont want to be wearing dirty,soaked PT gear all week. Bring like 7 or 8 days worth of socks,t-shirts,and underwear. Just to get a head of things,make 5 round-neck t-shirts with your last name on the back of them with 2inch stencils. They will want you to do that and put your session number on the front, but you wont know your number until you get there. Make sure you are shaven and have a short haircut, cause they will rip on you for that too. The main thing of the whole academy, DONT STAND OUT! Bring a lot of extra baggage. They will be giving you A LOT of stuff in your first and second week. Bring extra toothpaste,soap,shaving cream, and deodorant because when staying in the academy they make you set up a display with all that stuff. If you set up the display with extra stuff, you dont need to ever move it. That reminds me.....bring an extra blanket. They want you to make hospital corners, so you can make your bed and just sleep on top of it with your own blanket covering you. Phew....I think thats it...If I think of anything else I will let you know. But def do the t-shirts before you go, that way you dont waste your weekend doing stupid sh*t. Also ,make sure your sleeves on your undershirts arent too long cause they will stick out the bottom of your uniform shirt. Hanes are good,they worked for me.

Cherub of Justice
    Quote Originally Posted by mtdodgethis02
    They're opening up another academy at Willard in April too so some people that are still waiting may be sent up there.
    Is this for certain? I haven't heard anything about it.
    You can now follow me on twitter.

Forum Member

Yep it's for certain-the academy starts next month sometime up to willard, I've heard several CO's talk about it as well. Its actually less than an hour from me, but I'm going to the one in Albany.

NYS CO

people who taking their agility test around may when do u think they will be called? how long is the wait period? i am so tired of waiting today i bought a suit for my oral interview...which is 11 days away...then i have to wait a month and a half which sucks...i hope we atleast get into the new acedemy or something

Page 1 of 71 12341151 ... Last