Page 1 of 5 1234 ... Last
    Forum Member

National Zoological Park Police

I cant seem to find info on this agency anywhere. I cant even find a direct phone number. I know that they are the police in the zoo in D.C.

One Night In Bangkok
    They are federal police officers under the 0083 series. You'd probably find info under security.
    I don't work - I merely inflict myself upon the public.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Up_On_Base
    They go to FLETC and attend the mixed basic program (or whatever they call it now), seems like a boring job. It's basically a security job with a gun and limited Fed jurisdiction.

The training at FLETC is not to hard, it depends on your parent agency. ATF/USSS/USMS and a few others were the only ones doing PT @ 5am. For most agencies FLETC is college with PT and some shooting. Actually some of the parties were better than college.
    Thanks for the info

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by orlandofed5-0
    They are federal police officers under the 0083 series. You'd probably find info under security.
    Thanks for the info

The Man
    I heard that when the positions open, they usually give them to retired DC police. But I don't know anyone who works there, so I can't say for sure.
    Guns don't kill people. Chuck Norris kills People.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Washingtonian
    I heard that when the positions open, they usually give them to retired DC police. But I don't know anyone who works there, so I can't say for sure.
    Thabks for the info. That sounds about right

More cowbell!
    Man DC has cops for EVERYTHING!

TGY
    Disclaimer: The writer does not represent any organization, employer, entity or other individual. The views expressed are those only of the writer. In the case of a sarcastic, facetious, nonsensical, stirring-the-pot, controversial or devil's advocate-type post, the views expressed may not even reflect those of the writer [This sig stolen from Brickcop who stole it from Frank Booth].

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by That Guy
    Man DC has cops for EVERYTHING!

TGY
    yay I know thats why im looking into D.C. and Virginia for work

Like A Young Cassius Clay
    Quote Originally Posted by DPS55
    I cant seem to find info on this agency anywhere. I cant even find a direct phone number. I know that they are the police in the zoo in D.C.
    You may now already know this but you can find this agency under the Umbrella of the Smithsonian Institute.
    Day after day train your heart out, refining your technique: Use the One to strike the Many! That is the discipline of the Warrior.
    ---------------------------------------------------
    Proverbs 26:3
    Stay Safe!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by kbclawdog
    You may now already know this but you can find this agency under the Umbrella of the Smithsonian Institute.
    Yay I just found that out a little while ago.
    "Damned if you do and damned if you dont"

Forum Member

http://jobsearch.usajobs.opm.gov/get...5&q=zoo+police

They just opened hiring through November 14, 2007 for "many vacancies" at USAJobs...

Pay seems pretty bad and it certainly sounds like a boring security position. I believe they still carry revolvers and most officers seem old enough to be retired. They have some concurrent jurisdiction off campus (not sure how far), but I've never seen or heard of them doing any actual police work. Am I wrong?

Forum Member

Seems like not too bad of a gig. They obviously want people who are previously experienced law enforcement folks. No substitute for education or other types of experience. Perhaps that goes a long with the thought of older, more 'retired', officers. That zoo looks like it could be a pretty cool place to work.

One Night In Bangkok
    I think they also patrol apart of Rock Creek Park and a few other areas alongside MPDC under the Norton act. I know the vehicles look like USSS-UD.

Forum Member

I am confident there are departments with a ton more "action" in the DC area. Having said that, and as I look my 40th birthday square in the face, there are alot of folks reading this board who are not looking so much for action but for a decent police job. If I was 21 again, I don't think this would be my top choice. I will never be 21 again, and it does not look like such a bad gig. The pay does seem unspectaculor, but not so bad for somebody retired from another department or maybe the military.

Several years ago there was a gang shootout either in the zoo or right outside the front gate on Connecticut Avenue, so they probably get a little more action than they get credit for. Kind of the catch about most specialized police departments is that folks assume not much goes on, but a cross section of people visit zoos, parks, airports, campuses, etc., and at least some of that cross section are criminals.

My work is done here
    Last I checked

DC = ZOO
    Just shut your damn hole

Dead Souls-----They keep calling me

One Night In Bangkok
    Chiller. Aint that the truth about DC..

Intresting enough US Park Police also have jurisdiction at the National Zoo.

One Night In Bangkok
    I think Dept. Of Interior owns the land and it is leased to the Smithsonian. I think USPP has an an MOU assisting the zoo po-po but also retains jurisdiction since they used to be the primary agency before the zoo went from a security force to police force. I know they (zoo) have the agreement with MPD.

Forum Member
    The zoo police are Smithsonian OPS (Office of Protection Services) employees. They (OPS) primarily perform security duties, armed and unarmed, at the Smithsonian buildings in DC and are "Special Police". The Zoo police are the only force that has true LEO status, although some few are Special Deputy US Marshals (I won't get into that). I won't event get into the concurrent jurisdictions.

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Spooky View Post
    The Zoo police are the only force that has true LEO status
    As opposed to who?? The rest of the Smithsonian LEOs??
    Dispatch, we have a 9-11, Armed Robbery in progress. Seay's Surplus Store, corner People's Drive and 124th Street.

Operator
    Quote Originally Posted by fedguy889 View Post

Every Smithsonian I have ever ventured into (and I've been in all of them) had security guards there..... While the Zoo folks were/are LEOs.....

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fedguy889 View Post
    Yes. All Smithsonian officers are either DC Security guards (no arrest powers) or DC Special Police Officers, which are pretty much security guards with limited powers of arrest. Zoo Police are sworn LEO's and have full powers of arrest.

One Night In Bangkok
    And the guys at the Smithsonian Bldgs turn over all arrests/apprehensions to USPP. I think the Holocaust museum does the same.

Operator
    Quote Originally Posted by orlandofed5-0 View Post
    I think the Holocaust museum does the same.
    Thought they turned theirs over to FPS......not sure though.....

One Night In Bangkok
    Quote Originally Posted by Bearcat357 View Post
    Thought they turned theirs over to FPS......not sure though.....
    Ive seen USCP cars there (usually K-9) and BEP there also. I know BEP is a few blocks away so they may assist with calls. Ive never seen any FPS folks over there. Although Ive seen them (FPS) as of late on Pennsylvania ave. alot more.

Operator
    Quote Originally Posted by orlandofed5-0 View Post
    Ive seen USCP cars there (usually K-9) and BEP there also. I know BEP is a few blocks away so they may assist with calls. Ive never seen any FPS folks over there. Although Ive seen them (FPS) as of late on Pennsylvania ave. alot more.
    If I would ever get a day off during the week....I could talk to some FPS folks to answer these.....and lots of other questions......

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... Last