Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Forum Member

What happens if an officer loses their badge/gun?

Me and some friends were wondering what happens if a cop loses his/her issue weapon and badge off duty? If it is stolen out of their car are they suspended or written up? What exactly are the repercussions? I assume there is some sort of administrative sanction against them? Is it different if the gun was not an issue gun but a personally owned weapon that the officer uses for duty?

Thanks.

PS- We were discussing the recent thefts of officers guns in Detroit and we were wondering what happens to the officer.

Quote Originally Posted by Tecumseh
    Me and some friends were wondering what happens if a cop loses his/her issue weapon and badge off duty? If it is stolen out of their car are they suspended or written up? What exactly are the repercussions? I assume there is some sort of administrative sanction against them? Is it different if the gun was not an issue gun but a personally owned weapon that the officer uses for duty?

Thanks.

PS- We were discussing the recent thefts of officers guns in Detroit and we were wondering what happens to the officer.
    Thankfully I have never heard of an officer losing his sidearm. If he would, ouch, there would probably be all kinds of heck to pay.

I do know of a couple officers who have had their sidearms stolen while off duty. They didn't get into trouble but the guy who was arrested for stealing them is in a world of hurt.

Credentials is a whole new story. I once was catching our dept k9's during training and my badge fell off my shirt. I didn't notice it til I left and upon discovering it missing I made a hasty retreat to the training area and luckily found it. That could be a serious problem.

I was dispatched to a busy gas station once in reference to recovered property call. Upon arrival the station attendant gave me a set of FBI credentials that was dropped at the pump. A civilian found them and thankfully turned them in to the gas station attendant.

I started making some contacts to get them back to the rightful owner without making alot of noise over it. I figured he would atleast be suspended and in all kinds of trouble if his supervisor found out. Unfortunately when the 911 call came in the dispatcher was told what the property was and he took it upon himself to notify the local FBI branch. I could be wrong but I am sure the gentlemen who lost it got into trouble.
    Prov 17:17 A friend loveth at all times, and a brother is born for adversity.

After posting this I read your profile. I must say very interesting. I see that you like to debate religion and politics!!! Wow!!!! Give you credit. I have strong views on both subjects but I hate debating them.
    A good friend of mine is a Carbondale cop. I was in the Marines with him and he was the groomsmen in my wedding. He saw me carrying off duty and thought it was just the coolest thing. After that he started applying for departments.
    Just for 43 you can be a student and a successful member of society!

A red house in a red county in a red state in a red country
    A really well-worded letter of explanation to your chief usually starts things rolling.
    The All New
    BBQ and Goldfish Pond Club
    Sully - IAM Rand - JasperST - L1 - The Tick - EmmaPeel - Columbus - LA Dep - SgtSlaughter - OneAdam12 - Retired96 - Iowa #1603
    - M1Garand

(any BBQ and Goldfish Pond member may nominate another user for membership but just remember ..... this ain't no weenie roast!)

No Longer Active
    I know of a probie that left her gun in a public bathroom. An hour later they were on a run when her FTO noticed her gun was missing. Meanwhile, the business called to say they found a gun in their bathroom. The officer didn't realize she forgot her gun.

She was fired.

Quote Originally Posted by 1042 Trooper
    A really well-worded letter of explanation to your chief usually starts things rolling.
    Dear Chief,
    Let me start out by saying. I love you man!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thanks for the job and I was also wanting to extend an invitation to my house for Christmas. No need to bring anything. I bought you alot of nice stuff but expect nothing in return. I am inviting you because I look upon you as a father. By the way I lost my gun.
    Love and affection,
    Tom.

No Longer Active
    That should do it. You might as well tell him about the night you did his daughter too.

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by pujolsfan146
    After posting this I read your profile. I must say very interesting. I see that you like to debate religion and politics!!! Wow!!!! Give you credit. I have strong views on both subjects but I hate debating them.
    A good friend of mine is a Carbondale cop. I was in the Marines with him and he was the groomsmen in my wedding. He saw me carrying off duty and thought it was just the coolest thing. After that he started applying for departments.
    Just for 43 you can be a student and a successful member of society!

Was he a campus PD cop or a city of Carbondale cop? Unfortunatley I had a lot of experience with the city PD as they were at my neighbors house all the time. My neighbors on all 3 sides were fraternities.

I am no longer in Carbondale but will be transfering to Illinois State as it is closer to home and my friends are there. But SIU was such a fun place.

Quote Originally Posted by Tecumseh
    Was he a campus PD cop or a city of Carbondale cop? Unfortunatley I had a lot of experience with the city PD as they were at my neighbors house all the time. My neighbors on all 3 sides were fraternities.

I am no longer in Carbondale but will be transfering to Illinois State as it is closer to home and my friends are there. But SIU was such a fun place.
    He works for Carbondale. He is on the hefty side. Has blonde hair with a flat top and is always sarcastic. His mo is to say something like "You want a break? Ok. Not!!!!"

When we were in the Gulf War togethor he would wake up everday and the first thing out of his mouth is "2 weeks. 2 weeks from today we go home." Months later he got a blanket party. Really good guy. Love him to death.

Forum Member
    the first 2 times my chief, Jeanne Miller, did it, nothing happened to her. The third time she left it somewhere, it was in the public library. Someone leaked it to the local media and she got 7 days off for it. Now she is the chief in Davidson, NC. i dont think she let the door hit her on the way out of town!!

I lost my badge once when it blew off of my jacket - I was assigned to motors at the time. I wrote the required memo of loss, was issued a new one and paid the customary $130.00 for the replacement. Never lost another. That was back in the 1970s.
    Be courteous to all, but intimate with few, and let those few be well tried before you give them your confidence!

[George Washington (1732 - 1799)]

No Longer Active
    Quote Originally Posted by SgtCHP
    I lost my badge once when it blew off of my jacket - I was assigned to motors at the time. I wrote the required memo of loss, was issued a new one and paid the customary $130.00 for the replacement. Never lost another. That was back in the 1970s.
    $130 in the 70’s? Good Lord, was it made of platinum???

A red house in a red county in a red state in a red country
    I remember in the academy I left my ID card in my uniform shirt pocket when I dropped them off at the cleaners. Unbeknownst to me, the nice little ol lady who owned the cleaners called my drill instructor to turn in my ID card for me. How nice.

That night, knowing full well I had lost my ID card, but not knowing it had been turned in, imagine my horror when the DI woke us all up, stood us up in formation and said,

Tonight, instead of weapons inspection, we're going to have an ID card inspection! Whip 'em out, NOW!

50 push ups and a mile later, I went back to bed. I was ordered to sleep with the card.
    The All New
    BBQ and Goldfish Pond Club
    Sully - IAM Rand - JasperST - L1 - The Tick - EmmaPeel - Columbus - LA Dep - SgtSlaughter - OneAdam12 - Retired96 - Iowa #1603
    - M1Garand

(any BBQ and Goldfish Pond member may nominate another user for membership but just remember ..... this ain't no weenie roast!)

Former Cincinnati Police CincyCop's Avatar
    One night while in a hurry to get home following shift, I left my uniform shirt (with badge) draped over a chair in the Police District locker room (I forgot to put it in my locker...my fault). Anyway, I return for shift the next day and the shirt is present but the badge is gone. Ten minutes until role call..so I wore my Bi-Centennial badge which is authorized. Some veteran cop is teaching me a lesson but the badge did not turn up. I finally notified my supervisor and filled out the paperwork...I was written up as well and did a weeks worth of desk duty. Magically the badge appeared one day.
    "Let's Roll" - T. Beamer

I've seen where badges, guns, and/or IDs have come up missing and put over LEADS as a BOLO.
    ****ing off Liberals
    Even on drugs, Rush Limbaugh is right.

There was an instance when new badges were issued and we were able to buy the old ones if we wanted to. They didn't require that we case them in plastic.

Anyways, one officer sent his out to get cleaned and some how forgot about it. They never called him about the badge but it did turn up.

The Chief got a call one day that there was some kid at UCLA that had gotten into a fight and flashed a badge and one of those cheap galls ID cards to one of their officers. By kid I mean early 20's. They knew something was up so they took the kid down to their station to ask him some questions about the fight. Meanwhile, the Chief is on his way down to UCLA to see whats up.

The Chief gets there and asks the kid if he could describe the Chief of police at his department. The whole time telling him that he is all good and they only want to get his story so they have a good report. Well the kid starts describing some overweight, white haired fellow that is supposed to be the Chief. That is until the real Chief pulls out his Department ID and asks the kid to read what it says.

The story never got old when he told it. Never a good day for the officer that looses his property though.

Quote Originally Posted by celtcop
    I've seen where badges, guns, and/or IDs have come up missing and put over LEADS as a BOLO.
    Our Sheriff doesn't give out patches anymore because he has seen them for sale on ebay.
    Not alot of patrol patches have been on ebay but there atleast at one point have been quite a few co patches.

Quote Originally Posted by Rogerthump
    There was an instance when new badges were issued and we were able to buy the old ones if we wanted to. They didn't require that we case them in plastic.

Anyways, one officer sent his out to get cleaned and some how forgot about it. They never called him about the badge but it did turn up.

The Chief got a call one day that there was some kid at UCLA that had gotten into a fight and flashed a badge and one of those cheap galls ID cards to one of their officers. By kid I mean early 20's. They knew something was up so they took the kid down to their station to ask him some questions about the fight. Meanwhile, the Chief is on his way down to UCLA to see whats up.

The Chief gets there and asks the kid if he could describe the Chief of police at his department. The whole time telling him that he is all good and they only want to get his story so they have a good report. Well the kid starts describing some overweight, white haired fellow that is supposed to be the Chief. That is until the real Chief pulls out his Department ID and asks the kid to read what it says.

The story never got old when he told it. Never a good day for the officer that looses his property though.
    Sheriff's son works on our department. He did earn the spot and is a very competent deputy. Ok now back to the story.
    I was backing him up on a traffic stop and everything appeared good to go. I was in the process of walking back to my car when I heard the guy who was stopped ask the deputy if he knew the Sheriff. When I heard this I did an about face. I knew it had great potential.

Deputy responded yea I know the Sheriff. This nucklehead then responded well the Sheriff is my cousin. Deputy responded well that's funny. The Sheriff is my dad and I sure don't know you!! We had a good laugh at the guy. I think he wanted to cry by time he left the traffic stop.

Quote Originally Posted by 1042 Trooper
    I remember in the academy I left my ID card in my uniform shirt pocket when I dropped them off at the cleaners. Unbeknownst to me, the nice little ol lady who owned the cleaners called my drill instructor to turn in my ID card for me. How nice.

That night, knowing full well I had lost my ID card, but not knowing it had been turned in, imagine my horror when the DI woke us all up, stood us up in formation and said,

Tonight, instead of weapons inspection, we're going to have an ID card inspection! Whip 'em out, NOW!

50 push ups and a mile later, I went back to bed. I was ordered to sleep with the card.
    Reminds me of an awesome story. It is awesome because it didn't happen to me!

We had just arrived in Saudi Arabia during the Persian Gulf War. We were sitting in or GP tents cleaning our rifles. All of us were doing this except for one Marine.

After approximately a half hour a Marine from a different company walks into our tent and asks us if any of us left a rifle in the head.

We busted out laughing and at the same time held up our rifles. The Marine left and we started talking about the stupid idiot who did such a horrible thing.

"How is it possible that some guy could leave his rifle in the head?" Just couldn't believe it. Well another ten minutes went by and the only Marine in our tent without a rifle jumps up and yells "*****!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"
    Sure enough it was his rifle.

I am not sure what happened to him but doggone it couldn't be good.

A report is written, the serial number is entered into AFS, a teletype is sent to surrounding agencies noting that the gun and id/badge has been stolen/lost.

I don't know anyone who keeps their gun in their car. If you carry it, it belongs on your side.

An internal investigation is always started.
    This profession is not for people looking for positive reinforcement from the public. Very often it can be a thankless job and you can't desire accolades, because those are not usually forthcoming. Just do your job to the best of your ability and live with the decisions you've made.

Quote Originally Posted by Tennsix
    I know of a probie that left her gun in a public bathroom. An hour later they were on a run when her FTO noticed her gun was missing. Meanwhile, the business called to say they found a gun in their bathroom. The officer didn't realize she forgot her gun.

She was fired.
    What was her excuse for even removing her weapon from the holster!????

Quote Originally Posted by CincyCop
    One night while in a hurry to get home following shift, I left my uniform shirt (with badge) draped over a chair in the Police District locker room (I forgot to put it in my locker...my fault). :
    This has happened a time or two where I work. The standard procedure is to turn the badge and name tag upside down. Sometimes they figure it out right away, but other times it isn't until they are embarrassed by an observant citizen!

Quote Originally Posted by MikeI
    This has happened a time or two where I work. The standard procedure is to turn the badge and name tag upside down. Sometimes they figure it out right away, but other times it isn't until they are embarrassed by an observant citizen!
    He he he he...we hit the three striped devils with this ALL the time!
    Anyone who believes "the customer is always right" has never been a police officer.

He he he he...we hit the three striped devils with this ALL the time!
    hehe we used to turn rank upside down on other soldiers headgear in the military. One time we did it to our platoon sergeant a SFC... lets just say we were very sore for a long time.
    Last edited by pressm4n; 12-13-2006 at 04:40 AM.

No Longer Active
    Quote Originally Posted by 208
    What was her excuse for even removing her weapon from the holster!????
    She didn't have one. Not one that was worth a damn, anyway.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast