Forum Member

Obtaining a CCW permit in Maryland

I heard being issued a permit in Maryland to carry a concealed weapon is very rare and most applications will be denied.

Anyone been through the process?

Banned

To get a permit to carry in MD you must meet one of the following criteria...

1. Retired police

2. A professional with threats (Pharmacists, Doctor, Lawyer)

3. Work sponsored (Guard, P.I., armored car, SPO)

4. Certtified Correctional Officer with documented threats

5. A civilian with recent threats to your life (must porovide either police reports attesting to the fact or notorized statements from witnesses)

Unless you meet that criteria you have no 2nd amendment right in the state of MD. If you want mor information you can find it at http://www.mdsp.org/

Hustler
    You can be an employee of a Business or Owner of one that conducts the cash/deposits, etc.

If you are a lawyer, doctor, etc, you don't have to be receiving any threats to get a CCW.

Maryland is difficult, but at the same time fairly easy to obtain one, being that you fit the correct criteria.

Not all Security Guards, Private Detectives get a CCW simply for being employed as one.
    "An excuse is worse and more terrible than a lie, for an excuse is a lie guarded."

Conservator of the Forum
    Quote Originally Posted by P.I.Davis
    Unless you meet that criteria you have no 2nd amendment right in the state of MD.
    You have Constitutional Rights (including 2nd Amendment) in every state in the union. Though each state can pass its own laws consistent with the Constitution.

Forum Member

What kinds of threats will I have to have as a CO?

Forum Member

HOLY G0D!!

I called the MD State Police firearms unit.

If I waive into MD and end up practicing down their, I can get a permit.

Yippee!!!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mitchell_in_CT
    HOLY G0D!!

I called the MD State Police firearms unit.

If I waive into MD and end up practicing down their, I can get a permit.

Yippee!!!

huh? do what?

Hustler
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnyReb
    What kinds of threats will I have to have as a CO?
    Those would be decided by your dept/agency.
    "An excuse is worse and more terrible than a lie, for an excuse is a lie guarded."

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by johnnyReb
    huh? do what?
    If I ever move to MD or practice law in that neck of the woods I can get a carry permit simply on the basis of profession.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by irishlad2nv
    Those would be decided by your dept/agency.

Understood.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mitchell_in_CT View Post
    If I ever move to MD or practice law in that neck of the woods I can get a carry permit simply on the basis of profession.

Sorry, but does anyone else feel that to only allow ccw's by profession is a matter of discrimination. Or that selective incorporation of the bill of rights is unlawful(considering the fact that each amendment of the bill of rights was ratified by the colony of Maryland before the constitution was signed in the first place)?

So, I'm a DC SPO who lives in Silver Spring, MD, formerly had a CCW in California. According to the criteria listed above, I'm not eligible to receive a CCW? I've heard that if you've been the victim of a violent crime, then you are eligible as well...If so, I have been the victim of gang assault in the past in NY(I won the fight, they were all three convicted of felony attempted strongarm robbery)...does that make me eligible?
    Last edited by maninblack; 10-29-2010 at 10:29 AM.

shook'n cats, ringn bells

i think alot of this is confusing some people. MOST permits issued in MD are valid while either working, driving to and from work, making cash deposits, etc... permits state which activities allow you carry and most have limits to the activities above. being a CO does not mean you will get a CCW for anything besides to and from work. if you get caught and clearly are out of the bounds of your permit, you will go to jail and be charged and lose your CCW and probably your job. dont get all excited bc MSP told you that you can get a permit. MD is almost impossible. being a CO, the only real way you will be able to carry outside of work is to have documented threats on your life. its harder to do than many think.

Quote Originally Posted by GoldBadge View Post
    You have Constitutional Rights (including 2nd Amendment) in every state in the union. Though each state can pass its own laws consistent with the Constitution.
    i think he meant that with MD law, you might as well not even consider yourself to have any 2nd Amendment rights.

Quote Originally Posted by irishlad2nv View Post
    You can be an employee of a Business or Owner of one that conducts the cash/deposits, etc.

If you are a lawyer, doctor, etc, you don't have to be receiving any threats to get a CCW.

Maryland is difficult, but at the same time fairly easy to obtain one, being that you fit the correct criteria.

Not all Security Guards, Private Detectives get a CCW simply for being employed as one.
    didnt see this before i posted. irishlad got it right.

Forum Member

i think alot of this is confusing some people. MOST permits issued in MD are valid while either working, driving to and from work, making cash deposits, etc... permits state which activities allow you carry and most have limits to the activities above. being a CO does not mean you will get a CCW for anything besides to and from work. if you get caught and clearly are out of the bounds of your permit, you will go to jail and be charged and lose your CCW and probably your job. dont get all excited bc MSP told you that you can get a permit. MD is almost impossible. being a CO, the only real way you will be able to carry outside of work is to have documented threats on your life. its harder to do than many think.

This is not entirely true. When I was in Corrections, (about ten years ago) the only restriction I had on my CCW permit was that it wasn't valid in any Courthouse in the State of Maryland. Everywhere else was fair game.

One Night In Bangkok
    This is a 4 year old thread.....
    I don't work - I merely inflict myself upon the public.

Quote Originally Posted by orlandofed5-0 View Post
    This is a 4 year old thread.....
    hahahaha, WOW. its so old that i never saw it before someone resurrected it. hahahahahahaha

Quote Originally Posted by AREL11 View Post

This is not entirely true. When I was in Corrections, (about ten years ago) the only restriction I had on my CCW permit was that it wasn't valid in any Courthouse in the State of Maryland. Everywhere else was fair game.
    maybe 10 years ago. i know a bmore co. CO that is having trouble getting one and has documented threats, but apparently not serious enough. this state has changed alot in 10 years. OMalley has killed the CCW issuing. Ehrlich was trying to make it so everyone that qualified got one.

Forum Member

Kinda cool to see I started it 4 years ago though!

Forum Member

bump for any updates

Forum Member
    Last edited by topgunner; 01-17-2013 at 03:14 AM.

Forum Member

good and substantial...
    Last edited by thebonus; 05-21-2011 at 10:54 AM.