Forum Member

Smith/Wesson M&P VS. Springfield XD

Does anyone have any information comapring the Smith M&P and the new Springfield XD. I an looking into a new duty gun and am trying to narrow my choices down. The other gun I am interested in is the PARA ORD. Limited. Thanks

Forum Member

I have never fired the M&P, but I did have the chance to run some rounds through a xp and I liked it. It is a very well built gun, and I like the grip safety. I have never heard a good thing about the Para's especially as far as reliability. I'v heard they have feeding problems, but I have no first hand experience. I hope that helps a little.
    "My faith, my country and my family will guide me; nothing more, nothing less" -Gen. Tommy Franks

No Longer Active

Quote Originally Posted by mooseyard
    I have never fired the M&P, but I did have the chance to run some rounds through a xp and I liked it. It is a very well built gun, and I like the grip safety. I have never heard a good thing about the Para's especially as far as reliability. I'v heard they have feeding problems, but I have no first hand experience. I hope that helps a little.
    The Para website states that new round extractors have been implemented in their weapons, making for much more reliable extraction.

Forum Member

Just got the M&P 40 love it. The Springfield is nice to but I still like the M&P better. I like how you can change the grip size on the M&P and the gun dont have much recoil compared to other 40's. The trigger pull is about the same maybe the M&P is a little better. If you Google the M&P you can find lots of reviews. There is a lot of people with Glocks and Springfields that wrote reviews and liked the M&P the best.

No Longer Active

I know that looks are not so important in one's choice of a gun, but the M&P looks the business, way better than a Glock or an XD.

Glocks are still the benchmark, though.

Forum Member

hey, i just got an M&P 40. also and its amazing. i too like the interchangeable backstraps. they're great for different members of the family. the recoil is almost nothing. the one thing that concerns me is that the triger seems to catch a little on the way back. that might just me my gun but i still love it. but it all comes down to what fits your hand and what you can shoot. hope that helps.

Forum Member

Having not carried either, but having the opportunity to shoot an example of each briefly...

I like the M&P, but wouldn't buy one for a few years till we get some results on the longevity and duribility question.

Forum Member
    what a coincidence.....

We just got the new S&W M&P .40 for test and eval, cuz Im having a rough time with the glock.... I like it, its a lot smoother on the trigger, but theres a lot of weight on the top...
    It has interchangable grips... small med and large. med is definately the most comfortable because the swell of the grip in the large is in the wrong place, feels awkward. The small grip is too flat, I dont feel enough control. I dont have a clue about the other gun though. I would definately take them for test and eval. Im pretty sure if you have a law enforcement store, they'll have that option. we took it for 2 weeks, no charge.

Take care

~K~
    "Everything you've learned will surface in due time, so stop rushing around."

~ MURPHY ~

Qui audet adipiscitur
    I just haven't learned to trust Smith & Wesson autos yet. It might be great, but I'm not sold on their quality control yet.

Give me a Glock, or the Springfield XD.
    "A fanatic is one who won't change his mind, and won't change the subject." -Winston Churchill

"I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts." -Will Rogers

"To desire to save these wolves in society may arise from benevolence, but it must be the benevolence of a child or a fool" -Henry Fielding

Forum Member
    I love both the XD and the M&P. The only thing I don't like about the M&P is it has a magizine disconnect. Stay away from the Para's. Out of the Smith and Springer I would go with what fits you the best.

Forum Member

I carried S&W autos for years, and I NEVER had a problem with any of them. I've heard only good things about the M&P, and if I had a choice between that and the Glock, I'd be tempted to go with the M&P. I've also carried a Glock in the past, and I'm not all that impressed with them, although I still have a 23 as a BUG and off duty weapon.
    Extremism in the pursuit of liberty is no vice. Barry Goldwater

Forum Member

I'd carry the XD right now vs. the M&P. The reason being: my experiences are more extensive with the XD. It's a tough weapon and quite reliable. The M&P, however, feels good and seems like it will be reliable. I don't like the take-down procedure as much as Glock, Sig, XD, or even HK. Even though the glock doesn't fit many hands, it still is the simplest of the bunch (especially for me, I'm a glock armorer) and goes bang every time. But I like the XD. Wish I could take an armorer course on that one. The M&P has a bit of an uphill battle due to past S&W mistakes. But it will likely be a fine weapon. Just gotta see how durable.

Forum Member

Of the three you mentioned the XD would be my choice. I had a Tactical .40 and it was reliable in the extreme and quite accurate. The S&W is ok but hasnt been around long enough to get a good rating, especially after the SIGMA fiasco. Avoid Para like the plague I bought a LDA CCW right after the new and improved Xtractor came out and it was a total P.O.S. I had problems with parts failure and the frame was beginning to peen quite heavily not to mention the slide stop hole was starting to hog out. Great idea poorly executed.

Forum Member

Difficult to come up with something that truly tops my glock 22. But then, that would go by the name of glock 21... Sorry, couldn't resist.

pawncop
    Am waiting for the 45 ACP version of the M&P. Will switch if it is worthy.

Sig, to hell and back!
    I've had an XD-40.
    Pro's-
    -It was cheap $399 NIB
    -Fed reliably
    -Take down and cleaning was easy
    -Comfortable grip
    Cons
    -Finish might as well have been applied with a magic marker
    -Rust speckles on grip safety and slide (it was a duty gun)
    -Light Strikes on the primers
    -Issues with ejection
    -muzzle flip was atrocious
    -Couldn't hit the broad side of a barn with it (probably my own fault)

I sold it after carrying it around for 6 months.

I've shot the M&P extensively.
    Pros:
    -Grip is the best I've felt in any Semi Auto
    -Reliable feed and ejection
    -accuracy delivered was as expected
    -Does not share a single part with the Sigma's
    Cons:
    -the take down and cleaning is not very fast
    -slide heats up quickly due to being manufactured from stainless steel

With that being said my duty carry is a personally owned Glock 17. I will never get rid of it, as it has run 100% from day one. The finish has held up fantastically and the accuracy while not matching my 1911, is more than adequate.
    Last edited by R12GS; 01-06-2007 at 09:14 PM.