Page 1 of 2 12 Last
    Forum Member

Georgia Dept. of Corrections

I have a questions are the Georgia dept. of Corrections officers considered Peace Officers??? Are they allowed to carry off duty??

Forum Member

Georgia Dept of Corrections

Yes Ga department of corrections officers are POST certified and considered to be peace officers. The law states that peace officers are exempt from having to get a carry permit, however Dept of corrections policy strictly states you are not authorized by the agency to carry off duty. So by law you don't have to get a permit but by policy you aren't authorized to carry a weapon off duty basically because they don't want ANYTHING from carrying that weapon to come back on them if something happens, so just getting a permit saves a whole lot of headaches for everyone and covers your butt if something happens.

Forum Member

Thanks I do that just in case I'm just hoping I get hired by Dekalb County Sheriff so that I can put that I want have that to worry about.

Righter of Lefts

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by Bnathanb1982
    Yes Ga department of corrections officers are POST certified and considered to be peace officers. (NO NO NO NO NO NO NO...they are corrections officers ONLY...bad bad bad information!) The law states that peace officers are exempt from having to get a carry permit, however Dept of corrections policy strictly states you are not authorized by the agency to carry off duty. So by law you don't have to get a permi (WTF??? ARE YOU CRAZY!???)t but by policy you aren't authorized to carry a weapon off duty basically because they don't want ANYTHING from carrying that weapon to come back on them if something happens, so just getting a permit saves a whole lot of headaches (Yeah...like going to jail for instance...dude you so dont' know what your talking about!!) for everyone and covers your butt if something happens.
    FIRST OFF...this is a section for sworn peace officers only. You are not and you are giving out information you know nothing about. Just look at this guys' profile!

DOC!!???!! If you are a correction officer you are NOT a peace officer. You are giving out horribly wrong and illegal information! A correction officer works for the department of corrections only. They have a corrections academy in forsyth GA just for corrections officers, it is ONLY 2 weeks long. THEY HAVE NO ARREST POWERS AT ALL OUTSIDE OF THE PRISON WALLS!!!!!!!

GA POST mandate is what makes you a peace officer and is 10 weeks long plus another 15-20 inhouse with your agency which provides you with arrest powers and the ability to carry a gun. AND>>>YOU HAVE TO HAVE A FIREARMS LICENSE to carry a gun...you are NOT considered a peace officer under GA law.

Please...stop giving this information out. Are you even in law enforcement...because anyone in LE would know your information was wrong and illegal, if this guy listened to you he would go to jail.
    Last edited by Rapax; 10-25-2006 at 09:23 PM.
    "Anyone is capable of anything"

"I did absolutely nothing, and it was everything I thought it could be".

-Peter Gibbons
    Office Space

Is it Lunch time yet?
    Well don't mean to be a crap starter but.....
    http://www.dcor.state.ga.us/pdf/vacan.pdf If you scroll down to corrections officer job posting it says it all.

furthermore, if you look at the Georgia post webiste at the bottom it says

The Georgia Peace Officer
    By statutory definition, a peace officer is any person who is vested expressly either by law or by virtue of public employment or service with authority to enforce the criminal or traffic laws through power of arrest and whose duties include the preservation of public order, the protection of life and property, and the prevention, detection or investigation of crimes.
    State officers such as the Georgia State Patrol, the Georgia Bureau of Investigation, the Georgia Department of Natural Resources, and the Georgia Department of Corrections, deputy sheriffs, county police, municipal police, and campus police are a few of the many examples of peace officers. Additionally, the Georgia Peace Officer Standards and Training Council also has a statutory responsibility to certify non-peace officers such as communications officers and detention officers

Now if that means we are not Peace Officers than I need my eyes checked
    Just my two cents

Forum Member

My Finding

Quote Originally Posted by Rapax
    FIRST OFF...this is a section for sworn peace officers only. You are not and you are giving out information you know nothing about. Just look at this guys' profile!

DOC!!???!! If you are a correction officer you are NOT a peace officer. You are giving out horribly wrong and illegal information! A correction officer works for the department of corrections only. They have a corrections academy in forsyth GA just for corrections officers, it is ONLY 2 weeks long. THEY HAVE NO ARREST POWERS AT ALL OUTSIDE OF THE PRISON WALLS!!!!!!!

GA POST mandate is what makes you a peace officer and is 10 weeks long plus another 15-20 inhouse with your agency which provides you with arrest powers and the ability to carry a gun. AND>>>YOU HAVE TO HAVE A FIREARMS LICENSE to carry a gun...you are NOT considered a peace officer under GA law.

Please...stop giving this information out. Are you even in law enforcement...because anyone in LE would know your information was wrong and illegal, if this guy listened to you he would go to jail.

Well I have done my own homework and in my finding I have found that GDoc corrections officers are consider peace officers by state law and by
    Agency. I my finding I have also found that the DOC does have a Academy and that it was five weeks long and there is also a in house training within the Department upon completion of the Training Academy. It is fact that GDOC Correctional officers are peace officers and they must pass P.O.S.T.
    It is false information that you as a correctional officer can carry a weapon while off due, in fact Georgia DOC forbidds there staff to carry conceal weapon while off duty.The state law does state that a peace officer may carry a weapon while off duty but the officer must not only comply with state law but the officer must follow his or her departments policy and procedures. my findings are fact and I can conclude that if an officer iscarring a weapon while he is off duty and the Department in which that officer works with policy doesn't allow that officer to carry then that officer could be charged by law for carring a concealed weapon and even lose his job because he wasn't authorized to carry off duty..........

I am a Sergeant in Wisconsin and I just wanted to find out the information before I took a job with that Department.I also know that it is better to do your own research but I thought that everyone on this site was pretty much LE. But There I go again thinking and not thinking about all the wanna beess out there.I don't carry now but I will never work for a department that doesn't allow you to carry and reason is as follow: I don't want to be a Cop I did the street thing for a year and its not for me so I became a Correctional officer I have been one for 3 years now. I'm only 24 years old and I good at talking to people. but there are times when I'm at the store with my Family and i run into inmate that I have had a few spats with. I even had to move because a inmate threaten me and my family and told me my address. I not as much afraid ofhim doing harm to me but when I'm out with my family I want to be able to protect them if needed. I'm not that wanna be Police guy who going to chase the purse snitcher down the block or that guy thats going to try and stop the store from being robbed but I will protect my family. Thats all ..

Forum Member

Ccw

Elgin. as I posted above I said that the Dept of Corrections does not allow you to carry off duty. I also said that the law states you don't have to have a carry permit if you are a peace officer. That's why I said that you need to get a ccw permit when you carry of duty in GA so the department will not be liable if something happens. The dept can't stop you from carrying while you are off work if you have a CCW permit. Also I do work for the Dept of Corrections and I have done A LOT of research on the information I gave you and find all of it be be accurate in my opinion.

Righter of Lefts
    Quote Originally Posted by Macquaid
    Well don't mean to be a crap starter but.....
    http://www.dcor.state.ga.us/pdf/vacan.pdf If you scroll down to corrections officer job posting it says it all.

furthermore, if you look at the Georgia post webiste at the bottom it says

The Georgia Peace Officer
    By statutory definition, a peace officer is any person who is vested expressly either by law or by virtue of public employment or service with authority to enforce the criminal or traffic laws through power of arrest and whose duties include the preservation of public order, the protection of life and property, and the prevention, detection or investigation of crimes.
    State officers such as the Georgia State Patrol, the Georgia Bureau of Investigation, the Georgia Department of Natural Resources, and the Georgia Department of Corrections, deputy sheriffs, county police, municipal police, and campus police are a few of the many examples of peace officers. Additionally, the Georgia Peace Officer Standards and Training Council also has a statutory responsibility to certify non-peace officers such as communications officers and detention officers

Now if that means we are not Peace Officers than I need my eyes checked
    Just my two cents
    The Department of Corrections covers state probation...which are POST certified as peace officers. A standard corrections officer DOES NOT have the authority to arrest off of state DOC property. I would love to see a corrections officer arrest someone for an outstanding warrant, or even write a ticket for jaywalking. It can't be done.

Under the national carry act by GW Bush you are not authorized to CCW's! I am not trying to argue with you...but you will be arrested if you try to carry with just your DOC correctional officer ID. I DO NOT WANT THAT TO HAPPEN TO ANY OF YOU! That is why I am telling you, you do not have the same statutory responsibilities,duties or rights as police and sheriff do.

If you'd like to PM me I'll put you in contact with my brother who is a Captain with GA DOC and he can set you straight on any issues your misinformed about.

-Peter Gibbons
    Office Space

Righter of Lefts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bnathanb1982
    Elgin. as I posted above I said that the Dept of Corrections does not allow you to carry off duty. I also said that the law states you don't have to have a carry permit if you are a peace officer. That's why I said that you need to get a ccw permit when you carry of duty in GA so the department will not be liable if something happens. The dept can't stop you from carrying while you are off work if you have a CCW permit. Also I do work for the Dept of Corrections and I have done A LOT of research on the information I gave you and find all of it be be accurate in my opinion.
    Well according to the National Concealed carry for Cops I guess you think you can carry since your a peace officer...but..NO it does NOT recognize a corrections officer! You guys have a ridiculously hard job..don't make it harder by doing something stupid with a gun.

-Peter Gibbons
    Office Space

Forum Member

Carrying Off duty

Corrections are corrections, why would you want to carry a weapon off duty in the first place. Some people try to do to to much.
    C O Big Dawg
    GDC

Forum Member
    Yo, OnceAMArine, you're a hack and you have to ask WHY a CO would want to carry off duty??? I don't carry off duty to act like a cop, that's for sure, I carry off duty for self-protection and to protect my family from scum-of-the-earth that's out of prison and holds a grudge against me!

The Friendly Officer

Forum Member

Protection for me off Duty ( Protecting my Family)

Quote Originally Posted by onceamarine
    Corrections are corrections, why would you want to carry a weapon off duty in the first place. Some people try to do to to much.
    Its not about trying to do too much, you can never do to to much to protect you and yor family. I don't no if you are really in law enforcement but there are times where you run into inmates that have been released and you mmay have had problem with him prior to you seeing him. Somethings can go bad and its even worst when you children are with you i the mall or store and this stuff happen.Maybe you should reconsider before placeing responses like the last one.

Forum Member

Carrying off-duty is a must. We deal with the worst of the worst every day of our lives. And yes, most I/M's get out of prison eventually. And no, they do not like you or anyone that wears your uniform. All LEO's are targets and we all need to protect ourselves as well as our families. If you don't think that protecting you and your family at all times is a must then you either A:are not a Corrections Officer or B:don't need to be one. Smarten up.

Forum Member

Carrying off Duty

Quote Originally Posted by DaytonaBeachCO
    Carrying off-duty is a must. We deal with the worst of the worst every day of our lives. And yes, most I/M's get out of prison eventually. And no, they do not like you or anyone that wears your uniform. All LEO's are targets and we all need to protect ourselves as well as our families. If you don't think that protecting you and your family at all times is a must then you either A:are not a Corrections Officer or B:don't need to be one. Smarten up.

That was very well said......

Forum Member

off duty carry

I am a police officer now. From 1990 until 1996 I was a G.D.C. Corrections Officer. If any of you police officers that are on this forum will arrest a Corrections Officer simply because he doesnt have a CCW then you have a problem. Are we not on the same team here? It is true that the brass in Atlanta dont want COs to carry off duty but it's not their lives at risk if you run into an inmate at the mall. Those same Corrections Commissioners and their staff also make very good money while the people who do the REAL work at the prisons and Detention Centers make about 24000 to start. If you are a Police Officer and you are reading this then please do not arrest a CO simply because he has a gun on his person.

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DaytonaBeachCO
    some things fla is not progressive at, but at least when it comes to

c.c.f / on yr badge and i.d. card, it was one of the best

laws written when it went into effect in 1988
    " if you talk in your sleep, don't mention my name....
    " if you walk in your sleep, forget where you came....

Forum Member

What is truely sad is the brass that put these policy's in place always make sure they are the exception to the rule. The brass always make sure they write themselves into the policy allowing them to carry weapons. Dept. Issued weapons no less. Yet they have little to no contact with the actual inmate population. Other than the inmate that clean their office.

Forum Member

perks for the brass

You are exactly right ANT1. It's that way at all jobs. The police chiefs think they can do anything they want to you. "When I say jump you jump". They have all the perks, take home cars, big salary, and so forth. Top level management looks out for each other. A Sgt that went up for Lt. told me that the interview board did not like it one bit when he made it sound like he was pro officer. All we are is pawns in their chess game to be used and abused at their will. It may be a little different for officers in the closed Union shop states but not in the South.

Forum Member

The only thing about upper level management is they get replaced whenever the politicians change. New Governor=New DOC Director. I guess what comes around goes around.

Forum Member

Off Duty Carry

I know what your talking about I'm a sergeant and I swear the Dept. policy states no carry off duty and it also clearly states that you may only carry a Dept. issued weapon off duty.The only staff that are issued weapons are Lieutenants and Captains,Security Director,Deputy warden and Warden.Me and my officer are left their to dry.There were even incidents that happen like a few months ago there are two staff sitting at the Visitors check station. There was this lady that wanted to see her boyfriend but his visits had been suspended pending the out come of an internal investigation.The Officer assigned to the post informed the lady that he wasn't allowed to have visits and the lady became very arguementive with the officer. The Sergeant working with the officer on the post ask the lady to leave. the woman walked out of the lobby and return 5 mins later while the two staff was checking in visitors the woman came around to the side of the desk and hit the female officer in her face and then the fight was on the sergeant gave assisitance to the officer. The sergeant hit his panic alarm for help and the lady was left the building with out being caught. Now the policy state that Police must be called and that staff cannot detain general public so the sergeant only was able to break up yhe fight and at the same time try to ensure the rest of the visitors in the lobby wasn't injured.It should be noted that the two staff at the desk are not armed.Well that not the end it is 10:00 pm and the end of shift while the officer was sent to the hospital for he injuries.The Sergeant stated that upon the end of his shift the woman was outside in the parking lot and waiting for the female officer to get off of work.The sergeant went back into the laobby and informed a supervisor who called the police. When the police arrived inside that vehicle was 2 females and 2 males. Both female were armed with knifes and one of the male had a gun 9mm and the other male was in the driver sit. Now you tell me what was going to happen to that young female officer had she been there and they followed her home or they had caught her alone with one of her kids in the mall one day.Upper managements response was we will let her change her post if she does feel safe.Yeah the Captain who carrys his dept. issued weapon off duty made that stament.

Forum Member

Carry Off Duty

If the department of corrections wanted a Corrections Officer to carry off duty then they would have made it that way. You can protect your family and yourself in many ways other than carrying an unauthorized weapon as a corrections officer. What happen to self defense tatics, what you dont know about that.............duhhhhhhh
    C O Big Dawg
    GDC

Forum Member
    Elgin, your story about the lady and the knife and the other males in the car with a weapon waiting for the CO to do bodly harm. Well knowing all of that, it does make sense to allow the Police Department do their job to handel this situation............does not take a rocket scientist to figure it OUT
    C O Big Dawg
    GDC

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CO1989
    Yo, OnceAMArine, you're a hack and you have to ask WHY a CO would want to carry off duty??? I don't carry off duty to act like a cop, that's for sure, I carry off duty for self-protection and to protect my family from scum-of-the-earth that's out of prison and holds a grudge against me!

The Friendly Officer
    Well to each his or hers own, I am at a Medium Security Prison in the state of Georgia, If I deam it necessary to take measures as far as carrying a weapon off duties to protect myself and my family, then I have no problem doing so. But some Correction Officers just think that they are the Police.
    What about defense taticts, what you forgot about that..............
    C O Big Dawg
    GDC

Forum Member
    [QUOTE=Elgin]I know what your talking about I'm a sergeant and I swear the Dept. policy states no carry off duty and it also clearly states that you may only carry a Dept. issued weapon off duty.The only staff that are issued weapons are Lieutenants and Captains,Security Director,Deputy warden and Warden.Me and my officer are left their to dry.There were even incidents that happen like a few months ago there are two staff sitting at the Visitors check station. There was this lady that wanted to see her boyfriend but his visits had been suspended pending the out come of an internal investigation.The Officer assigned to the post informed the lady that he wasn't allowed to have visits and the lady became very arguementive with the officer. The Sergeant working with the officer on the post ask the lady to leave. the woman walked out of the lobby and return 5 mins later while the two staff was checking in visitors the woman came around to the side of the desk and hit the female officer in her face and then the fight was on the sergeant gave assisitance to the officer. The sergeant hit his panic alarm for help and the lady was left the building with out being caught. Now the policy state that Police must be called and that staff cannot detain general public so the sergeant only was able to break up yhe fight and at the same time try to ensure the rest of the visitors in the lobby wasn't injured.It should be noted that the two staff at the desk are not armed.Well that not the end it is 10:00 pm and the end of shift while the officer was sent to the hospital for he injuries.The Sergeant stated that upon the end of his shift the woman was outside in the parking lot and waiting for the female officer to get off of work.The sergeant went back into the laobby and informed a supervisor who called the police. When the police arrived inside that vehicle was 2 females and 2 males. Both female were armed with knifes and one of the male had a gun 9mm and the other male was in the driver sit. Now you tell me what was going to happen to that young female officer had she been there and they followed her home or they had caught her alone with one of her kids in the mall one day.Upper managements response was we will let her change her post if she does feel safe.Yeah the Captain who carrys his dept. issued weapon off duty made that stament.[/QUOT

The only thing I can say is: "If you are planning on transfering to Georgia, before you do that, Make sure you leave all of your ideas and decisions in Wisconsin.
    C O Big Dawg
    GDC

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CO1989

The Friendly Officer
    I dont know what a hack is .....................................
    C O Big Dawg
    GDC

Page 1 of 2 12 Last