Forum Member

Manchester, NH Police Officer Shot

Manchester, N.H., police officer shot; one arrested, one at large

MANCHESTER, N.H. -- Police had one person in custody and were seeking another Monday after a shooting that critically wounded a police officer.
    Heavily armed SWAT teams from state and city police cordoned off and searched a wide area for Michael "Stix" Addison, 26, who was considered armed and dangerous. Police dogs and a helicopter helped in the search as schools in the area locked their doors and locked pupils in classrooms with their teachers.
    "They are doing a yard-to-yard search," police Capt. Richard Tracy said.
    Few details about the shooting were released, but police said the officer was taken to Elliot Hospital after being shot near the intersection of Lake and Lincoln Streets. A spokesman for the hospital said Officer Michael Briggs was in critical condition.
    Police asked for the public's help in finding Addison, who is black, about 5-foot-8 and weighs 180 pounds.
    An officer who was stopping drivers in the neighborhood and searching their vehicles said one person was already in custody. The officer would not give his name.
    A man who lives about a block away on Spruce Street said he and his wife heard six shots around 3 a.m. Monday, followed by yelling and arguing.
    "We heard six loud bangs go off," said Robert Tarr, who was on his back porch taking in laundry from the line when he heard the shots. He said he quickly called police.
    His wife, Pauline, was inside, sitting at her computer desk when the shots rang out.
    "It took me right off my chair," she said, saying she was worried about the safety of their four children.
    Other neighborhood residents said they heard seven, eight or even 10 shots.
    Nicole Black, 24, who was staying at her boyfriend's place nearby, told www.unionleader.com that after the shots woke her, she grabbed binoculars and looked outside.
    "The first thing I saw was that cop lying down right there where the pool of blood was," Black said. "There were maybe five cops around him. One was saying, 'Just breathe, just breathe.' You could tell they were trying to get this guy to hold on."
    Black also saw a man lying on the ground, handcuffed, she said.
    "I heard him say something about, 'I was just standing on this corner trying to get weed for my girl,"' Black said.
    An area covering about 40 city blocks was cordoned off before dawn. As residents began leaving for work and school, officers diverted traffic around the area and searched the car trunks of those leaving for work or school.
    Schools locked down included Central High, Hillside Middle School and several elementary schools, assistant school Superintendent Karen Burkush told WMUR-TV. She said entrances to some other schools were locked and being monitored, but pupils were not confined to their classrooms.
    Tarr, a member of a neighborhood watch group working with police to combat prostitution and drug dealing, said things had been getting better -- until now.
    "Now we're back to square one again. It's going to make people really on edge," he said.

This evening they got Stix.

I have some information about the officer who was shot, Officer Michael Briggs, but I don't think I can say anything until it's properly released. All I have to say is that it doesn't hit home, until it hits home.

go to http://www.wmur.com for more information. They haven't released any new information about Ofc. Briggs yet as far as I know. I do know a personal friend of the officer, who has been informed of recent status.

Keep his family, friends and co-workers in your prayers.

~K. Murphy~
    "Everything you've learned will surface in due time, so stop rushing around."

~ MURPHY ~

i saw on officer down that this officer has passed away as a result of the injuries :-(

VIP Member - Diamond willowdared's Avatar

Prayers enroute for all.
    Molly Weasley makes Chuck Norris eat his vegetables.

The manchester officer Michael Briggs, was in critical condition after being shot, and has passed away. It was released this morning. Prayers to his family, friends and co-workers. Everytime we lose one of our own, it is difficult. This is yet another reminder to always live your life to the fullest, you never know when it'll be over.

I pray for all of you and your families. May God keep you in good health, and sound mind. Please be safe.

Michael, Rest in Peace.

Price

It was 3 o' clock in the morning, The day he lost it all.
    They say that 3am's the devil's hour.The hour of pure hell.
    Well now I believe the myth they said,
    Now another one has fled.
    The world is obviously not,
    big enough for the good at heart.

It was 3 o' clock in the afternoon,
    Hours before a harvest moon,
    The same one who had paid his price
    decided to give another life.
    He jumped into the firey flames
    As though it were a normal day
    He pulled them from a firey grave
    And only later he pays their fate

Your courage lives in all of us,
    in your memory we trust,
    all our familes, young and old
    to have this strength, you must be bold.
    I am sorry that you had to leave
    but this world was not good you see,
    you were taken far too soon
    but I know that we'll learn from you.

~K~
    Last edited by kmurphydpd; 05-10-2007 at 03:48 PM.
    "Everything you've learned will surface in due time, so stop rushing around."

~ MURPHY ~

South central escapee... DOAcop38's Avatar
    Is it just me, or does it seem that everytime a FOOL decides to commit a crime,he/she thinks its "okay" to just murder people,especially the very people who are trying to keep the peace and stop the violence.I watched a recent documentary on how Hollywood portrays cops- you mainly had the "cops on the edge B.S.stories" like "Narc", "training day", "Extreme justice",where the criminal element is seen as the victim, and every producer and film maker/script writer,saying the usual "cops are 99% good, BUT then theres the 1%...." Well if cops like Michael Briggs are the 99% ,I'm damn glad to be in his company, and if Cops like Michael Briggs were the 1% ,especially when they go out and have to face ANIMALS with akas like"Stix",then I'M DAMN PROUD to wear a uniform like Officer Briggs- God rest his soul and BURN Addisons..............
    Last edited by DOAcop38; 10-18-2006 at 02:52 PM.

My thoughts and prayers are with the family, friends & colleagues of Officer Michael Briggs.

God bless Officer Briggs. May he always be remembered as a hero. My thoughts and prayers are with his family and the Manchester PD as well as all law enforcement around this state.