Forum Member

baby formula being used to "cut' heroin

I recently made a traffic stop (sept 29th) and seized 200 cans of baby formula 16oz cans "powder kind" both occupants were illegal immigrants from Mexico. Come to find out Mcdough Co. Sheriffs Dpt. stop the same vehicle in Jne and seized 260+ cans of baby formula.(different occupants) any other agencies seeing this same activity or have encountered this but thought nothing of it?
    Im lead to believe they are using this to cut pure heroin. Any thoughts on this?

forum member
    They have been using that for years. They use it to cut meth and coke. Out here the Similac is behind the counter so they can't scoop them into the shopping cart and run out of the store.
    This profession is not for people looking for positive reinforcement from the public. Very often it can be a thankless job and you can't desire accolades, because those are not usually forthcoming. Just do your job to the best of your ability and live with the decisions you've made.

Forum Member

Yeah I have a few thoughts

While I've known it goes on and always will, I, nevertheless, have so much problem with people using children in any fashion to commit criminal acts. Mothers bringing drugs into correctional facilities with drugs stached in the diaper of their child. IN this case, people using baby formula in the drug trade. As far as I am concerned, the use of children, directly or indirectly, in the commission of a criminal offence is a mitigating factor which should result in a very considerable increase in sentence and I say this because, and again this in my humble opinion, if they will use children for these purposes, what else are they using children for? Not a very legalistic approach I realize but I guess it's my own childhood of abuse talking. I see kids and I see red. They better thank whatever gods they believe in that I'm not their judge.

Gang Tactic Mode

There is actually a huge black market for baby formula. Most of it is simply resold, and not used for drugs. Google search "baby formula" and "black market" and you will get loads of hits.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Badgerland
    There is actually a huge black market for baby formula. Most of it is simply resold, and not used for drugs. Google search "baby formula" and "black market" and you will get loads of hits.
    Yep. It gets sold back to the retailers. Sometimes they get expired cans of formula, repackage them with different expiration dates, and then sell to the distributors. There is also some evidence that the product might get cut with other types of ingredients, and then sold.

I can't be positive, but we got a can of Enfamil from one of the warehouse stores two weeks ago that I think might have been expired or repackaged. The formula didnt mix well. It clumped up, and it seemed to irritate the baby's stomach some. Other cans of the same product looked different, and mixed fine.

You might want to get in touch with your CID unit on this one. There could very well be a big fence working in your area. Loss prevention in some of the bigger chain grocery stores can be a good source of info in these cases.

Charges-Like-Rhino
    Quote Originally Posted by MrJustice
    While I've known it goes on and always will, I, nevertheless, have so much problem with people using children in any fashion to commit criminal acts.

That's a ridiculous line of reasoning. Just because they use baby formula to cut dope doesn't mean they use children. Sounds to me like you'd be among the first to give up your personal freedoms for the "security of our children".
    You have no right to not be offended.-Neal Boortz

We Patrol Night and Day
    Quote Originally Posted by Centurion44
    That's a ridiculous line of reasoning. Just because they use baby formula to cut dope doesn't mean they use children. Sounds to me like you'd be among the first to give up your personal freedoms for the "security of our children".
    He has already given up a bunch of personal freedoms- he's Canadian!
    "Blaming the prince of the fools should not blind anyone to the vast confederacy of fools that made him their prince" - Unknown Author

"That government is best which governs the least, because its people discipline themselves." - Thomas Jefferson

“There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation. One is by the sword. The other is by debt.” - John Adams

Defender of Brain Cells
    Look on the bright side, atleast they're getting a daily dose of vitamins and minerals with each hit of dope!

Charges-Like-Rhino
    Quote Originally Posted by FNA209
    He has already given up a bunch of personal freedoms- he's Canadian!
    I stand corrected. Point, set, match.
    You have no right to not be offended.-Neal Boortz