Forum Member

Change lanes in an intersection

625 ILCS 5/11‑306) (from Ch. 95 1/2, par. 11‑306)
    Sec. 11‑306. Traffic‑control signal legend. Whenever traffic is controlled by traffic‑control signals exhibiting different colored lights or color lighted arrows, successively one at a time or in combination, only the colors green, red and yellow shall be used, except for special pedestrian signals carrying a word legend, and the lights shall indicate and apply to drivers of vehicles and pedestrians as follows:
    (a) Green indication.
    ]1. Vehicular traffic facing a circular green signal may proceed straight through or turn right or left unless a sign at such place prohibits either such turn. Vehicular traffic, including vehicles turning right or left, shall yield the right of way to other vehicles and to pedestrians lawfully within the intersection or an adjacent crosswalk at the time such signal is exhibited.
    Would you say this code prohibits lane change in an intersection? Trying to satisfy an intellectual debate with some friends, I think all really boils down to how the word straight is defined/interpreted.

Forum Member

You should never change lanes in an intersection.
    FILL YOUR HANDS!!!

Deputy Sheriff
    Changing lanes in an intersection is bad karma!!!!!
    Prov 17:17 A friend loveth at all times, and a brother is born for adversity.

Forum Member

I know not to, and I have the non-legal materials to back up my statements, I've been searching for the legal code that says its illegal in IL (I know a few other states this is an easy statute to find) as I know of few officers who don't think it exsists in the code (and insist they've read the statutes cover to cover multiple times, so the "know" its not in there), so I was wondering if the originally quoted code was enough to say lane changes in intersections are illegal or do I need to keep looking.

Oh no, it's da Po-Po
    No, you need to find verbage that states that it is prohibited.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Blackdog F4i
    No, you need to find verbage that states that it is prohibited.
    Ok, thanks guess I'll keep reading.

Forum Member

In British Columbia (Canada) lane changes in intersections are legal, though they aren't considered safe practice. In a BC road test you will get demerits for changing lanes in an intersection.

Combat Veteran
    In SC you cannot change lanes until 100 feet past the intersection or before. The law may even be 200 ft. but I havent found it in the legislation. I heard about it while in the academy
    Last edited by MarineGrunt; 10-02-2006 at 09:54 AM.
    Marine Infantry - Taking out the trash one country at a time.

"You cannot exaggerate about the Marines. They are convinced to the point of arrogance, that they are the most ferocious fighters on earth- and the amusing thing about it is that they are."

"Freedom is not free, but the U.S. Marine Corps will pay most of your share."

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by MarineGrunt
    In SC you cannot change lanes until 100 feet past the intersection or before
    I thoguht I heard it was 200 ft. ethier side of an intersection in IL, but I can't find the statute to back it up. Anyone happen to if there is one one in IL and which it is?

Your Daddy
    Start at the Pacific and drive east til you lose teeth and hear banjos
    In California, there is no section for changing lanes in an intersection. This is mostly because there are no lanes in an intersection. So in other words changing lanes in an intersection is impossible. You can simply enter the intersection in one lane and exit in another. There are some small towns that will paint lanes in some intersections, however, that's basically the road crew screwing up.
    God made perfect cops.......The rest he put in cars.

Forum Member
    Georgia has a specific code section for changing lanes 100 feet prior or after an intersection...though there is debate whether or not that includes the actual intersection.

Half Way to AARP
    I guess it's not exactly "changing lanes at an intersection," but it's pretty close. I thought it Wisconsin it wasn't legal to change lanes within 100 feet of an intersection, either side, however; I could be wrong and it may be considered unsafe practice. I wish I could figure it out. But anyways, here what I found:

346.10 When passing at a railroad crossing, intersection, bridge, viaduct or tunnel prohibited.

(2) Subject to the exception stated in sub. (3) , the operator of a vehicle shall not overtake and pass any other vehicle proceeding in the same direction when approaching within 100 feet of or traversing any intersection unless the roadway is marked or posted for 2 or more lines of vehicles moving simultaneously in the direction in which such vehicle is proceeding or unless permitted or directed by a traffic officer to pass at such intersection.

(4) The operator of a vehicle shall not overtake and pass any other vehicle proceeding in the same direction when the view is obstructed upon approaching within 100 feet of any bridge, viaduct or tunnel unless the roadway is of sufficient width for 2 or more lines of vehicles to lawfully proceed simultaneously in the direction in which such vehicle is proceeding or unless permitted or directed by a traffic officer to so overtake and pass.

Forum Member
    Look at road when driving, we in Fla have white lines at inter, crossing solid white is nono. Thus is illegal to change lanes in inter. Lights don't effect lane travel, ie:changing lanes to the left or right.

Forum Member
    100 feet before, after, or in an intersection.
    Some people were just dropped on their heads as children more than the rest of us!