Reach_Ray

Good Cop Stories

We (the civies who watch local news) always hear about what the police did wrong or who got jacked by the police tonight. How bad the police did their jobs and garbage like that. There's always going to be a bad cop or a misjudgment made by police. I think these stories don't happen often but make great headlines. Even when the cops perform really good police work the media doesn't recognize it.

In my opinion, good police work involves bringing the bad guy to justice (not delivering justice), getting everyone home safe (not just the "good" people) and being there to uphold the law (no mob justice). It's not always a popular job and it's never an easy one.

Can you guys share some personal stories of when you experienced excellent police work that resulted in justice being served without the drama? Or, describe a dangerous situation that was averted because of good police work.

Not all police encounters turn into chases and shoot outs.

The funnier the stories, the better...

Sayeth me!
    people dont thank the police for the good they do because that is what is expected of them. if we catch the guy trying to rob the 7-11 other cops say good work but the people expect you to do that so they dont treat it like a big deal. i am guilty of feeling like there should be this row of people waiting to thank me for some of the good i do but it wont happen. about the best an officer will usually get is when he saves a kids life and thats because children matter to most everyone. this is a thankless job that carries a high expectation. i try to decide if that expectation is for failure or for good because its hard to tell sometimes.

in this business you ruin a lot of family's. you might save a families life by arresting a drunk driver but no one thinks past the fact that good ole joe is a good hard working man that likes to drink a little heavy to relax. all those things may be true and thats how the public will see every arrest until joe does hit and kill someone. then they want to know why joe was still free after his 8th dui. but these were the same people criticizing the officers for arresting joe all the time just the day before.

my worst memory was a call me and bigg dogg took. we were at the county jail dropping off two drunks we'd found out on a county road when a call came that there was a fatality accident north of the county seat. this was prom night and when we arrived it was a boy heading to the prom party. the boy was later found to be extremely drunk and the crash was really minor but it had thrown him out because of no seatbelt. anyway the kid had been there for a bit and had died quite a while before anyone found him. we arrive to wait for the highway patrol and as we wait some genious with a cell phone has to call and get the whole prom party out there. now we have to fight off a mob of half drunk kids. anyway we got through without much incident.

later the family made wild accusations that the boy was alive and we killed him for some reason. that we were to busy sitting in a store playing with ourselves and we should have prevented this. i was a reserve deputy at the time and i left the area for a fulltime officer job. bigg dogg was there for the rest of the accusations.

my point is that all we did was respond to an accident that was a very bad thing and somehow it all got turned into our fault. they didnt just say this around town, they came to the sheriff's office with it and went to campaign debates to bring it up. there were a lot more accusations and things to it but ive typed too long already.

im sure bigg dogg will have plenty to add. it seemed to upset him as well to have his name ran through the mud for just working a wreck.

Forum Member

please let me chime in, I don't post a lot on here but the actions of a cop are always second gussed by the media and the general public. Everyday police officers do "good deeds" and take criminals off the streets. That may mean that they arrest a drunk before they hit, hurt or kill someone in your family. The cop may stop and ticket a speeder in your neighborhood to find out that the simple speeder has a warrant for a serious crime. Certain times cops get involved in more dangerous circumstances. There are tons and tons of "good cop stories" that you would never think of but to us they are second nature. A stranded motorist, a victim of domestic violence that wants to be helped, or a victim of a robbery (etc). The media attacts what they can get their paws on. Remember on 09-11-01 when the media reported that there was a third plane that went into the bottom of the twin towers, when the first tower went down. It was false. Ask any cop on this forum, when they go on duty, they are involved in a "good cop story." You may only hear about a situation that is "big ordeal" and that situation may be replayed and reviewed over and over again but that police officer only had a few seconds to decide what to do. Seconds that may have decided his or her fate. Bottom line is that every day when police around the world go in service they are all performing in a "good cop story."
    Last edited by backinblue; 09-14-2006 at 12:01 AM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by HCSO511
    people dont thank the police for the good they do because that is what is expected of them. if we catch the guy trying to rob the 7-11 other cops say good work but the people expect you to do that so they dont treat it like a big deal. i am guilty of feeling like there should be this row of people waiting to thank me for some of the good i do but it wont happen. about the best an officer will usually get is when he saves a kids life and thats because children matter to most everyone. this is a thankless job that carries a high expectation. i try to decide if that expectation is for failure or for good because its hard to tell sometimes.

in this business you ruin a lot of family's. you might save a families life by arresting a drunk driver but no one thinks past the fact that good ole joe is a good hard working man that likes to drink a little heavy to relax. all those things may be true and thats how the public will see every arrest until joe does hit and kill someone. then they want to know why joe was still free after his 8th dui. but these were the same people criticizing the officers for arresting joe all the time just the day before.

my worst memory was a call me and bigg dogg took. we were at the county jail dropping off two drunks we'd found out on a county road when a call came that there was a fatality accident north of the county seat. this was prom night and when we arrived it was a boy heading to the prom party. the boy was later found to be extremely drunk and the crash was really minor but it had thrown him out because of no seatbelt. anyway the kid had been there for a bit and had died quite a while before anyone found him. we arrive to wait for the highway patrol and as we wait some genious with a cell phone has to call and get the whole prom party out there. now we have to fight off a mob of half drunk kids. anyway we got through without much incident.

later the family made wild accusations that the boy was alive and we killed him for some reason. that we were to busy sitting in a store playing with ourselves and we should have prevented this. i was a reserve deputy at the time and i left the area for a fulltime officer job. bigg dogg was there for the rest of the accusations.

my point is that all we did was respond to an accident that was a very bad thing and somehow it all got turned into our fault. they didnt just say this around town, they came to the sheriff's office with it and went to campaign debates to bring it up. there were a lot more accusations and things to it but ive typed too long already.

im sure bigg dogg will have plenty to add. it seemed to upset him as well to have his name ran through the mud for just working a wreck.

Goodstory.I try not to think about this incident.For one,I hate that a youngman lost his life in such a way.Another is that the dfact that the young man was drinking and driving was swept under the rug.The sutopsy results were kept quiet and we were made out to be the bad guys.And the worst part was it bacame a Campaign weapon for the opposing canidate for Sheriff.The whole incident was very upsetting from being told we let the boy die to make up outragious stories about the Sheriffs office during the funeral.Funny thing was after the campaign was over and the right person won,nothing else was said about the boys death.Just a shame that this young mans sense less death was turned into a campaign tool forall the wrong reasons!!
    FILL YOUR HANDS!!!

Reach_Ray
    Wow. It's a shame you show up to such a terrible scene and have your reputation put on the line for it.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Reach_Ray
    Wow. It's a shame you show up to such a terrible scene and have your reputation put on the line for it.

Yeah,it was small town politics at its ugliest.But fortunantly good prevailed.
    FILL YOUR HANDS!!!

Sayeth me!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigg Dogg
    Yeah,it was small town politics at its ugliest.But fortunantly good prevailed.
    yeah that about says it all. i had to just forget it all too because there was no way to rationalize it. we made it and it didnt ruin us so i guess whats done is done.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by HCSO511
    yeah that about says it all. i had to just forget it all too because there was no way to rationalize it. we made it and it didnt ruin us so i guess whats done is done.

I still have a problem with the school on the way they have handled it.They still hold candlelight vigils for himThey recently retired his baseball jersey and have a In Memory section of a hall to him.
    I have talked to my wifes neice and nephew that went to school with him and neither have ever heard from school officials about the dangers of teenage drinking and driving and none of the chool officials will recognize the fact that he was drunk and behind the wheel.

The school also has a In Memory spot for him on the schools website.
    FILL YOUR HANDS!!!

Forum Member

To bad this thread died before we got to here more stories!! I am thinking about writing a paper on how the media affects the public perception of cops. Watching the news you will see every bad cop story because to be honest it attracts more attention. I would love to hear and read about the good the cops do!

To any officer that reads this:
    THANK YOU!

Forum Member

If you enter this profession for public praise, and dump trucks full of "atta boys", you've picked the wrong line of work. Media? Just about 99% B.S. Journalism as an honest, respected profession died about fifty years ago. When NBC Nightly News can do a thirty second segment and call it "News in Depth", that should be a clue. About the closest thing to real journalism anymore is NPR. They do have a somewhat "liberal" slant, but at least make a fair attempt at in depth reporting, and analysis.....something the mainstream "Media" hasn't done in years. As an alternative, the BBC still actually does ..........................news.

Forum Member

(\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Ninja Bunny.
    (")_(")
    Copy and paste Bunny into your
    signature to help him gain world domination

Equal Height Equal Light

I pack my lunch, because on Graves the only places open in my Sector beat are Denny's and IHOP, diner food. So this one time I forgot to pack a sandwich, and I had to go with a 7-11 premade sandwich. It was horrible, but I survived.

Bonus story!

This one time a hot call came out while I was in a car wash.

Forum Member

I know that only LEO are supposed to reply to topics in this forum but I really wanted to share this. There's a blog about an area in DC that regularly writes posts about crime, including a series called "Props To The Cops" that shines light on good police work. Here's one such example:

http://www.princeofpetworth.com/2011...age-cat/crime/

Forum Member
    Everything we do should be a good cop story. Any time we remove the criminal element from the streets it makes the world a safer place. The type call that makes me feel the most warm and fuzziest for some reason is when I arrest a criminal domestic violence subject. I know for at least one night the victim will be able to sleep in peace and not be scared to live in his/her own home. And usually the rest of the family is relieved to. And it gives the victim time to get away from their family member if they want.

Forum Member
    A good cop story is when all your co-workers go home at the end of the shift.
    Be courteous, Be professional, Have a plan to kill everyone you meet