Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last
    Newbie Recruit

Question Women vs Male Cops

I have been hired and entering into the academy in a couple of weeks. I would like to hear from both sexes on how you think it is different being either a male or a female officer while out on the road or in general.

Do you think that women have an advantage while out on the road or disadvantage?

I being a woman just starting out, I have heard some stories from deputy buddies that I have now on the force as to how a criminal might react from being told what to do by a woman.. I would like to hear what you all think as well.

Shifty Mugwump
    I personally believe that women should be held to the same standards as men in all areas. In Illinois, the P.O.W.E.R. test for women is FAR easier than it is for men (men bench press 98% of their weight, women bench somewhere in the 60% range). I understand that typically, men are physically stronger than men. However, if I'm getting my *** beat on the street, the difference in the 40% gap can be HUGE. The truth is that a male and a female on the same department will be doing the same job, therefore they should have the same requirements.
    "The majority of people are sheep. Wolves prey on the sheep. You are the sheepdog. The sheep pretend the wolf will never come, but the sheepdog lives for that day. " -Lt. Col. Grossman

"We are righteous under the law, and we are righteous under God!" -Chief T. Fleming

Shifty Mugwump
    As far as people taking orders from a woman, that's all in how you carry yourself. You can easily gain more respect than some of the guys on your department if you know how to carry yourself and command respect. Some men should not be cops, some women should not be cops. That's the sad truth.
    "The majority of people are sheep. Wolves prey on the sheep. You are the sheepdog. The sheep pretend the wolf will never come, but the sheepdog lives for that day. " -Lt. Col. Grossman

"We are righteous under the law, and we are righteous under God!" -Chief T. Fleming

forum member
    Letshearit4blue's signature sums it up:

In this job, women must do twice as well as men to be thought half as good. Thankfully, this is not difficult.

You WILL have to prove yourself before you are accepted into the "club". Yes there will be difficulties but NOTHING you can't overcome. Just handle your business.

Criminals don't like being told what to do by ANYONE in a uniform. Just remember you have to be able to "cash the check" your mouth writes.

Welcome..you have chosen the best job there is! This is where the fun begins!
    This profession is not for people looking for positive reinforcement from the public. Very often it can be a thankless job and you can't desire accolades, because those are not usually forthcoming. Just do your job to the best of your ability and live with the decisions you've made.

Forum Member
    I had 4 women in my academy class. All four as expected had totally different personalities and at least two of them should make great officers. They both used good judgment and seemed to know what they were doing. Small fault's I saw in the other two that made them questionable was; One of them had a bad personality and was rude to everyone. She thought she knew everything and talked down to everyone except the instructors. I have learned doing this job when you treat people like that your not respected, and you have a lot of problems. People seem to want to try you more either to ****** you off, test you, or to just get back at you. The second was actually a nice person, but she would tend to over think things and relate everything back to what her college professors taught her. I don't have any problems with using what a college instructor has taught you, but a lot of this job is common sense. Having a college degree helps get this job, but not everything in this job is textbook. For the most part I think women make just as good officers as men do and yes they have to prove them selves more often then men. Once they have been on the street a while and people know they know what they're doing and do their jobs well they don't get tried as much. This is the same for men on the job to specially in smaller communities. Didn't mean to ramble on, Good luck and congratulations on getting the job.
    Some people were just dropped on their heads as children more than the rest of us!

South central escapee...
    Quote Originally Posted by coolgoil
    I have been hired and entering into the academy in a couple of weeks. I would like to hear from both sexes on how you think it is different being either a male or a female officer while out on the road or in general.

Do you think that women have an advantage while out on the road or disadvantage?

I being a woman just starting out, I have heard some stories from deputy buddies that I have now on the force as to how a criminal might react from being told what to do by a woman.. I would like to hear what you all think as well.

Well women,particularly in Ca. tend to look very good,and they smell better than guys as partners ,plus they have the "good sense" to know when to turn the patrol unit around and head in for EOW-LOLOLOLOLOL.Just be concerned with being the "Best officer "you can be, not whether you are a "good woman " officer compared to male officers- some guys will be dumber and lazier than you could ever be,and will disgust you as partners ,and some female officers wll make the stereotypes of female officers seem as if they were always true.Do your best,learn as much as you can and don't try and bypass your limitations.when I started I was 6'2,160 ,LAPD trained and had 4 yrs of kick boxing under my belt- i got my butt waxed in the middle of the street one day by a parolee that was 5'10,230 lbs of swollen tree trunk muscle during a ped stop-don't ever go the "john wayne or jane wayne" way up against a suspect thats bigger and tougher than you-use your brains tactics and add'l co workers to resolve issues you know are beyond you-basically use common sense and teamwork......

Newbie Recruit
    Thank you so much for the advice, I need all that I can get. I do know that I will have to prove myself more than the average jane and I am up for that. I also plan to keep quiet and low while in the academy. One buddy of mine said that on the last day of the academy his drill seargent lined them up, he was walking the line looking at everyone and when he saw him he yelled. WHERE THE HELL DID YOU COME FROM? lol He had managed to do it as I hope to too..

As for not doing the Jane Wayne.. lol I am tough naturally, but will try to keep my common sense up front because where I was hired on you ride alone. I will wait for back up if needed and now with the verbal judo information I hope to stall until that back up arrives. One thing that has always stuck with me either on this site or hearing it from friends.. is that I Will Go Home At Night. Since I am a single mom of two daughters, I am all they have it seems. I think that makes me fight harder to survive in alot of aspects.

And I took your advice and deleted my photo from my profile. Funny, I felt weird putting it on there.. I must learn to stick with my gut feeling with things. But thanks for the reminder...

Sayeth me!
    i only see this thread going one direction
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by HCSO511; 09-12-2006 at 08:39 AM.

Forum Member

Here we go again

Long Post
    NO offense Coolgoil, this topic goes bad everytime its posted..some are supportive of women, others are not. Just something you have to get used to.

I am a female LEO, have been for only 10 months. I will give you some word of advice that I have picked up in this short time. I will be the first to agree with many men in LE, it's a man's job. What does that mean?- a women has to work her *** off to be effective, accepted and most importantly safe. It doesnt mean you have to be a "man", but just realize now, like many have pointed out, a bad guy is a bad guy and will not let up or take it easy on you because you are a chick. As LEOs we depend on each other. You have to prove and be able to get your brother (and sister) officers out of any jam. You will be working with others in some dire situations, they have to literally trust their lives with you. (that goes both ways)

The Academy-Don't expect OR accept unequal treatment. Separate standards=separate treatment. Although we cannot always control the standards that are set (ie different amount of push ups per minute), go above and beyond 100%. Quite simply, dont be a wimp and give up on physical activities, DT practice etc. Any academy is mostly men, if one or even more than one is a "bag", they tend to blend in. If a female is a "bag", comments will fly about you being a "typical female". It is a fact of life for a women in LE, you have to be tougher mentally and work harder physically, start this in the academy. We all know, barring a few exceptions out there, men are stronger than women. Prove that on any day you will be able to give every muscle fiber you have within you in a bad situation...this is all anyone asks.

[B]When you hit the road[/B], be squared away. Listen (like any new cop should). Be self sufficient. Silly example- my cruiser got a flat. If this happened to my car off duty, Id probably would call my husband or father to help me out. I just took the jack out and took care of it myself, knowing that any other officer would do the same thing. Get out there and mix it up. Get some good arrests and show you are not afraid to get dirty. Go out of your way to help other officers out. Some officers will treat you bad, some will treat you "too" good and try to show you unintentional favoritism because they want to treat you like their wives or sisters (they are just trying to be nice). Dont let this become a trend.

Respect yourself, nothing wrong with joking and locker room talk with the boys, but dont be one of those females that gets the repuation of sleeping with all the guys in the station. On this flipside, dont get offended by the dirty jokes or off color conversation you hear.

BAD GUYS- This is one I am still trying to find a happy medium with. I started a bit too soft I think. I think, at times, I was verbally being pushed over a bit by the BGs. I then changed my tune and became more assertive. BGs I think are embarrassed and cant stand the idea of being locked up by a female. Many do not respect the women in their lives, therefore when one is showing some authority and taking their freedom, they are not thrilled. Get ready for the "man hating, Lesbo, cock sucking" tirades The majority of arrests you will have will be men. Are there BGs that wont become a physical threat because you are a women? Probably a few (still some morals out there I guess), but there are more that will become a physical threat because you are a women...they see it as a better chance of getting away. Be ready for that.

Finally- just go out there and prove yourself as a cop first, as a female cop second. You better believe the microscope will be on you more than your classmates when you hit the streets. There are plenty of men that suck as cops, there are also plenty of women. If you just know that yes, you have to work harder than the guy next to you, you will be fine. Its the best job in the world!! Best of luck

Smudge
    ....Remember that courage and strength are naught without prudence, and that a momentary negligence may destroy the happiness of a lifetime. Do nothing in haste,look well to each step, and from the beginning think what may be the end. -E. Whymper

Forum Member

congradulations. you will love it. most of what everyone else said is pretty much true. you will definately get tried more often than the male officer. there are more buttons to push on the female than on the male, we tend to be more emotional, get offended more easily, take things personal. one of your tasks is to master how not let any of those things happen. my personal experience (with a little over 7 years on the street) is you get one shot with the guys to prove yourself. you back down, second guess, run, don't get out of the patrol car, don't handle yourself, get intimidated, show fear, dont jump in swinging when needed... ONCE, and you are marked for the rest of your career. don't let it happen. as a female, you are either cut for the job or your not, there is no in between. learn all you can learn, keep you mouth shut and your eyes and ears open for the first few. experienced officers have alot to teach. there are advantages and disadvantages to being a female officer, and a good one knows how being female works for or against her in certain situations. there will be times when your presence escalates the situation, or de-escalates it. experience will teach you that. enough said. good luck and welcome!

Newbie Recruit
    Thank you so much for the information, you have no idea how much it helps me out. I feel I am prepared for most of what you wrote and if I happen not to prepared, I will spend each day soaking up information so that I am prepared the next time. I seriously am not looking for special treatment as I kinda figured it would be tougher for me and thank god that I am tough and have the will to show it when the times comes. I don't want for an instant for someone that is relying on me to feel as if he or she is not getting the proper back up he or she deserves with having me as the only help. That would kill me knowing that. In other words, I am fully expecting to grow some bigger balls while in the academy. One bonus I believe I have is that I am more comfortable around guys in general and have always been seen or treated as one of the guys which I hope that also rubs off while I am in this career. I am far from a pansy chick and cannot wait to prove myself, but I also know to keep my mouth shut and ears open while I am wet behind the ears. One of the jobs that I had in the past was being the only woman within 300 men, hard truck drivers at that, so I feel I am somewhat comfortable working with alot of different personalities and hearing the "jokes", hell I was often one that was telling them.

Thanks again for your advice and your welcomes... I am truly sorry to have to be the one to have you start your post with "here we go again".. arg.. lol

Peace out...

Forum Member
    I'd have to say that alot of the info given here is helping me too. SO thanks for that. Also Coolgoil, don't fret. I was nervous too when I went to the academy, and when I first started interacting with the other officers/public on the street. DO WHAT YOU"VE BEEN TRAINED. you don't know how many times you are going to hear that. I've been on the force for close to 11 months now. I agree with the others who said SAME STANDARDS. Females should raise the bar right up to Men. If you are doing the same job, YOU have to push yourself to make the smae sacrifices, even if it comes close to "killing" you. Don't let people's words get to you...Command respect and you will get it. Remember that respect is not given but EARNED. It's not going to be easy, but if you have what it takes, and if this is what you REALLY want. Then I know you can do it. You can get anything you want. It's a womans perrogative. We get what we want, because we have the drive to do it.

Good luck and be safe. Welcome to the Family Sister

~K~
    "Everything you've learned will surface in due time, so stop rushing around."

~ MURPHY ~

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by coolgoil

I think it depends on each situation, and each situation is different. I like working with a female partner, 9 times out of 10 the problem will get solved. If the subject doesn't want to talk to me for what ever reason, up to and including being a male, my female partner can take over and vise-versa. So it works out. When it comes to strength, obviously men are stronger, but when you take into account your partner has the same tools on her duty belt as I do, you don't need strength. I have had both bad, male and felmale partners. It doesn't matter what your sex, if you're not good, you're not good.

Newbie Recruit
    Thank you for all of your comments!! It means alot and I have always been a sponge for information especially if it gives me an advantage in the future.

Thanks again!

Deputy Sheriff
    Interesting reading. The thread title caught my attention. If you prove yourself as a cop period you will be fine.
    Prov 17:17 A friend loveth at all times, and a brother is born for adversity.

Forum Member

There is NO difference between male/female cops

My department clearly thinks that women officers are easier to train, easier to retain, and calm down volatile situations more effectively. I don't think that male cops are better, and I don't think female cops are better. As another poster said, some people are just not cut out to be officers. With all the equipment most departments are providing officers, such as pepper spray and tasers, it's not such a big deal if a female officer does not carry the same brute strength as her male counterparts. We're all taught the same defensive tactics movements, and most of them are not based on how strong you are, they are based on sensitive portions of a person body. My best advice is to ignore people's chauvinistic attitudes, whether it's a criminal or a fellow officer. (That just shows their own lack of intelligence, and the level of low self esteem they carry in themselves.) Be knowledgeable in your field, do the best job you can do, treat others as you would like to be treated. I think the hardest part of the job is showing respect to a higher ranking officer, even if you don't like them on a personal level. The actual job itself is very easy. Good luck, I'm sure you'll do just fine!

Newbie Recruit
    Thanks, I apprieciate it..

That's just too bad

military

I know back in basic training all the drills and pt were all the same no matter if you were male or female. Try to out do the males the best you can and prove them wrong. Women for ages have been trying to out do the men, it is just a sexist world.

Forum Member

In the time I've been in uniform, I've come to believe that women don't belong in this profession. I've seen them play the helpless female card toooooo many times when things got rough, then later try to turn it into the I'm a tough female routine to cover up thier slack. I've seen other male officers stop paying attention to thier own jobs and assignment cause thier too busy playing chivalrous knight to the girl on the job. One of my subordinates started crying during a "counseling", it's gone on and one. NOW HAVING SAID ALL THAT, we have a new rookie female that is setting me on my A**. She hustles her butt off, runs rings around the "established" veterans that always have a cup of coffee in thier hands, and in one year, has built a solid, professional relationship with the residents in her area. This one officer is changing a lot of people's minds and attitudes about females in law enforcement.
    Decide who you want to be, ignore the stereotypes and go be an excellent officer. You set your standard, no one else.
    Good luck

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by pf217
    I personally believe that women should be held to the same standards as men in all areas. In Illinois, the P.O.W.E.R. test for women is FAR easier than it is for men (men bench press 98% of their weight, women bench somewhere in the 60% range). I understand that typically, men are physically stronger than men. However, if I'm getting my *** beat on the street, the difference in the 40% gap can be HUGE. The truth is that a male and a female on the same department will be doing the same job, therefore they should have the same requirements.
    I could not agree with this more. We have the same in MI that women have less physical standards. I know plenty of GOOD female cops but for the reason stated in the quote, I want them to be able to handle as much as me physically. I know the ratio is more men than women...but if she is closer to my assistance call, not only do I want her help....I NEED HER HELP. For that reason alone I feel the same as pf217, same standards.

With that said let me expand a bit, female officer are great to have on your shift for a couple reasons. One, searches on female customers, no lawsuits. 2. (MOST) can talk to just about anyone, talk them down without causing them to fight more. Most guys are taught to respect women and not to hit them, so as they talk the badguy calms down.

Forum Member
    Let me add real quick, that I am pro women in police work. I think they bring a lot to the table. I just wish that they had the same physical standards.

Forum Member

Women as LEO

Quote Originally Posted by Prangler
    Let me add real quick, that I am pro women in police work. I think they bring a lot to the table. I just wish that they had the same physical standards.
    When I went to BLET in NC the physical standards were the same for both. Face it most women are physically weaker than men but have other good qualities. Women LEO can be real assets for female searches, child and rape cases, and our ability to talk to suspects, victims, and witnesses. I have seen both male and female officers unable to handle themselves physically for whatever reason (no exercise, poor diet, etc.) I say if you can do the job-male or female-you should be given the chance and judged on ability and performance not gender!

Charges-Like-Rhino
    Unfortunately there are some women in law enforcement who only got their position by threatening to sue the department because if they don't measure up they are "discriminated against". Then rather than stand up to the woman they kowtow and now not only is she a cop, she's a cop with rank- and not because of her merit, but because of her litigiousness.

I'm not for women in law enforcement, nor am I against them. I think, like everything else, your gender shouldn't matter.

Quote Originally Posted by 233ladyinblue
    Women LEO can be real assets for female searches, child and rape cases, and our ability to talk to suspects, victims, and witnesses.
    This statement is ridiculous. It implies that men aren't good at crimes against children cases, rape cases or know how to talk to people.
    You have no right to not be offended.-Neal Boortz

Deputy Sheriff
    Quote Originally Posted by Centurion44

This statement is ridiculous. It implies that men aren't good at crimes against children cases, rape cases or know how to talk to people.
    I don't buy into this either. Had a sexual assault of a child not too long ago. When I showed up the parents acted disgusted and told me too bring on a female. They said no way is the child going to talk to me. I had the child completely comfortable and talking to me in a matter of a few seconds. Parents were astounded. It is all in the communication skills.
    If I am dealing with a woman who needs patted down and there are no female officers around then I will pat her down. If she gets upset then too bad for her. If I have backup I do it in front of them. There are usually witnesses around to observe it. Even if it is her family.
    Prov 17:17 A friend loveth at all times, and a brother is born for adversity.

Forum Member

Congrats on getting the job! The advice you've gotten here already has been excellent. All I want to add is to lay low, really low and give your best every day at the academy and on the street after you graduate.

Again, congrats on getting the job!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last